Compressed natural gas

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always hoped technology would make splitting water (H2O) into hydrogen and oxygen economical and then burn the hydrogen gas in autos which turns it right back into water again.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it is a great plan for things like city busses, trains, even trucking with set routes... but for the individual that cherishes the freedom of going wherever whenever, not as appealing. Be interesting if a nuclear fusion reactor is ever made successful, real game changer.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always hoped technology would make splitting water (H2O) into hydrogen and oxygen economical and then burn the hydrogen gas in autos which turns it right back into water again.
If what I read isn't a hoax Japan is on the brink of doing just that. The only problem will be the lobbyist with deep pockets making the corrupt in Washington rich by keeping it away from the American people. Just like Toyota small diesel truck that's sold all over the world, but we can't have one.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right? Gas transports so much more efficiently than electricity too.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
mci in pembina was making cng buses in the 90s biggest problem is fuel storage and filling stations. would be a whole lot easier to install naturel gas stations than charging stations in 90 percent of the country. most towns have naturel gas already piped in. most big citys bus and garbage fleets are already naturel gas powered.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the one to keep an eye on KDM. Big players involved and how they are going to do it is pretty cool too.

https://blogs.und.edu/und-today/202...t-to-get-almost-1-billion-in-federal-funding/
“HH2H has engaged with communities, tribes, and other stakeholders to identify strategies and programs to promote shared prosperity in the project region. This work contributes to the federal government’s Justice40 goal, which aims to ensure 40% of overall benefits of federal investments flow to disadvantaged communities.”

Unbelievable. Check that… totally believable.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Electrolysis is the most environmentally friendly way of creating hydrogen but the amount of energy it takes is the highest. Sadly this process can’t be made more efficient. The amount of energy required to split water into hydrogen and oxygen will never change.

Making hydrogen from natural gas is the most efficient way of creating hydrogen but it still emits co2. Blue hydrogen is the next best process where it takes the CO2 produced and sequesters it under ground.

Sadly the biggest barrier in the hydrogen economy is the cost of the fuel. These costs will be very tough to compete with traditional fossil fuels.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right? Gas transports so much more efficiently than electricity too.
Honestly I think how fast a vehicle can be refueled is the biggest reason hydrogen or nat gas cars are better than electric. If electric cars can solve the recharging problem they might become the best option. They need to refuel as fast as a gas car otherwise their widespread adoption will never happen (unforced)….

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
pull the spark plugs out of a naturel gas vehicle with 50k on it and they are clean, look pretty much new except for the wear on the electrodes. and the infrastructure is 70 percent already there.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
pull the spark plugs out of a naturel gas vehicle with 50k on it and they are clean, look pretty much new except for the wear on the electrodes. and the infrastructure is 70 percent
Nearly the entire fleet of company vehicles at Chesapeake energy have been CNG (dual fuel) for at least twenty years I believe. Maybe longer. They have filling stations at every office facility in OK and there are filling stations scattered all over the OKC metro area. While driving them you don’t even know when it’s running ok CNG or gasoline. It’s pretty cool

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly I think how fast a vehicle can be refueled is the biggest reason hydrogen or nat gas cars are better than electric. If electric cars can solve the recharging problem they might become the best option. They need to refuel as fast as a gas car otherwise their widespread adoption will never happen (unforced)….
It’s not just the charge time. It’s length of run time, especially in cold weather, weight of batteries, cost of batteries etc etc. we are a long long way from it making sense if ever

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had a 1979 Chevy pickup that was both gas and propane. In the really cold mornings I would have to pour hot water on my regulator to get it to start. I liked the propane option as there was no road tax on it. I had a 114 gallon propane tank and 2 gas tanks in the pickup and could drive about 1000 miles on a fill. It was just two switches to switch it from gas to propane.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
This work contributes to the federal government’s Justice40 goal,
That's the fingerprints of liberals which leaves me worried . 1: the only thing liberals are good at is cheating on elections. 2: they may create so many rules and regulations that they kill it. 3: I'm sure Washington politicians bought up most of the stocks in any new company they have waiting in the background before they awarded the money. 4: if our politicians are not invested its just a feel good program to get votes from the peasants. 5: Will the tribes nuclear physicists contribute their advanced technology?

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
CNG/LPG - will never happen as it doesn't come from China. If its not from China how are the politicians going to keep lining their pockets with Chinese cash if they aren't mandating solar and electric and the US isn't buying solar panels and batteries from China.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84