Cool weather dinner's~

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
This cool weather has me in "Hot Dish"mode, whipped up some wild rice hot dish last night complete with jimmy dean sausage and cubed pork loin,lots of mushrooms,water chessnuts...meal for one turned out to be enough for a week or two,shit always seems to grow just like a batch of chile,by the time you add all the fixins you have enough to feed a army.

Gotta love this fall weather.

How about you guyz?Always up for something new to try.

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a big fan of this stew I make every year. It's super simple, and I usually make it in the morning before work: Cube up 1-2 pounds of venison (I usually label "stew meat" for just this situation), dice potatoes, carrots and celery, then add in some minced garlic and onion. In a skillet, season and brown the venison quickly, then deglaze with whatever liquid is on hand (water is fine, but I've used beer and wine with pleasant results). Throw it a slow cooker with the veggies and a can of condensed tomato soup and a can of cream-of-whatever soup (I prefer chicken, but they're all good). Mix thoroughly. Set the slow cooker to low and let it do it's thing all day. By the time you're home from work, stew is done. Make some hard rolls and dig in. This is even better a day later.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
we just had some lamb stew last night... was delicious... chili sounds good too

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Made chili and corn muffins, whipped up a fine stew, beer cheese soup, and a superb apple crisp. Lots of leftovers. Gonna grill a steak tonight, tho. Looks like the last of warm days for awhile.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had Chili the other night and then again for breakfast and lunch.

My favorite is a Vension pot roast my wife makes with green chilies and mushrooms. Put it in a bowl of mashed taters.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
tator tot hotdish is my absolute fav for those types of meals, but it's hard to beat a good bowl of chili on a crisp fall/winter day. Especially when I have cheese, fresh cubed onions, and a cold beer to top it off with.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boil a KDM chicken for 3-4hrs. Pull the chicken out of your home-made stock, peel the meat and add back in. Carrots, Celery, and 2-3 bags of pearl onions. Take your pick on good noodles or dumplings.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Costco rotisserie chickens are so cheap/good

When we’re done eating a couple meals, into the pot it goes with saved bones, to make great soup.

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm really looking forward to dinner tonight elk backstraps with potatoes and gravy.

:;:smokin

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^^NUMMY!!. Try crumbing up a handful of Fritos corn chips to go along with the diced up onions and shredded cheese in the chili!!:;:rockit Mmm Mmm good!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Salmon chowder is great "clean out the garden" fare. Wife also has an EXCELLENT recipe for Jambalaya. Not super spicey, but could be made so... just very good hearty food.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did a fish fry and a pan of my famous cheesy potatoes and some corn on the cob last night. Good eats!

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made a Cajun gumbo thing last weekend turned out really good. 2 chicken breasts, a ring of sausage cut up, 1 onion, peppers I did 2 from a friends garden not sure what they were. 1 can of beef broth and one can of stewed tomatoes season with Cajun seasonings and anything else you like. Throw in crock pot for I wanna say about 4 hours. make 2 bags of boil white rice and mix in 20 min before ready to eat and add shrimp

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh yeah,good ole beef/barley stew...What about some good old fashion Goulash? easy pezzy to make with sausage/burger,side of heavy with the garlic toast on the side.

Lamb stew? Really like lamb,rack or chops,I'll bet stewed would be excellent,Rusty,what meat? slow cook a leg?

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
All that sounds great! I braised beef short ribs and added baby bellas, taters and pearl onions the other night. Wife made beef and noodles for supper tonight.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33