Cooler Advice

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was thinking about these coolers awhile, since my wife and I have gotten into bowhunting mulies in the badlands. I am just going to buy a small chest freezer. Prolly find one on bisman or clist for 50$. Plug it in and fill it with ice or frozen water bottles before we leave. It would be too big for a boat and just a weekend on the lake, but for a hunt I think it would be perfect. Prolly weighs about the same as a big roto cooler. Plus I could always plug it in if we are near place with power.

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I currently don't do any back country hunting, but when I intend on using a cooler, say tomorrow, I will put the whole cooler in my chest freezer over night or even half a day. So the next day when I take it on the boat or BBQ its already cold, fill it with beer and ice and im set. The cooler will have a difficult time keeping food/beverages cold until the cooler its self is cold. So all the ice needs to cool the cooler before you get the benefit of keeping the items in the cooler cold.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Padlock and Chain

- - - Updated - - -

Just curios. Where you rate the Grizzly? It is about 30% cheaper than the Yeti.

I have honestly never used a Grizzly or Orion? is it? A buddy had the Orchid I believe it's called, and they seemed solid and held ice well all weekend. I honestly believe ice retention is pretty much a non issue with all these brands. They're so dang close that way that it's not a deciding factor. Features like handles, drain, hingesetc. are more important. Make sure none of that looks easy to break. How is the stability, does it tip easy. Those are the important things. And price point of course.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
the general idea behind the patent of the "cooler" (if there ever was one) ran out a long time ago. i actually think the us patent office has erred by issuing patents for very specific innovations like handles, hinges, blah, blah blah... those things aren't unique enough to warrant design patents in my mind. same goes for those cup things. its a damn thermos with a lid. coffee tumblers ain't nothing new and neither is a vacuum sealed stainless thermos. gotten a bit too loose with issuing patents. trade dress rights are an entirely different animal. don't get me started on those.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I currently don't do any back country hunting, but when I intend on using a cooler, say tomorrow, I will put the whole cooler in my chest freezer over night or even half a day. So the next day when I take it on the boat or BBQ its already cold, fill it with beer and ice and im set. The cooler will have a difficult time keeping food/beverages cold until the cooler its self is cold. So all the ice needs to cool the cooler before you get the benefit of keeping the items in the cooler cold.

If you go with a small freezer for about 40 bucks you can pick up a 400 watt 12 volt-110 inverter that will also make a quick cup of coffee or run small hand tools.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heads up on this cabelas has 10% and Penny shipping on all their coolers

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems to me that they are the same price as before they marked them up to mark them down.

A Yeti Roadie is always $250, on sale for $200. Same as Scheels and Runnings.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Even at 150$ its still cheaper than a yeti. My brother bought an older chev pickup years ago and the older couple that he bought it from had a gutted out apartment size ref, in the back. When they went to Fargo they bought their groceries and put them in the ref. That thing will hold ice for ever, We have used it for parties and filled with ice and drinks it will last for days. If you don't open a lot ice will last a week easy. Riding around in the back of a pickup might do a number on the cooling coils or electronics on a regular deep freeze.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a cabelas, yeti knock off and if I cool it down the way you are supposed too it will hold ice for roughly 2 weeks...
Put ice in over night
Precool all items
Freeze water bottles (I like to freeze a whole case of water)
Dump ice, fill cooler and remember on top of the ice is the fridge and below the ice is the freezer

thecatwalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
The rope handles on my rtic broke. I like my friends grizzly better. It turned room temp Busch lights into slightly slushy overnight.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88