Costco VS Sam's Club

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do either of these places have competive prices on most items ? Last time I was in Costco I wasn't impressed with the prices they had on what I was shopping for. We dropped Sam's club a few years ago because there were no bargains to be had , now Costco seems the same way. .

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do either of these places have competive prices on most items ? Last time I was in Costco I wasn't impressed with the prices they had on what I was shopping for. We dropped Sam's club a few years ago because there were no bargains to be had , now Costco seems the same way. .
Well, let's look at baby carrots. If I buy the two pack which is like 8 pounds of carrots, only eat half a pound, and throw the rest away, it's STILL cheaper than going to Family fare or Hornbacher's and buying a fraction of that. Just one example.

Milk is a dollar a gallon cheaper. With teenage boys, that amounts to a savings of $362 a week (exaggerating, but not by much).

Just bought 2 different patterns of these for $17 each: https://www.kingscamo.com/products/xkg-windstorm-rain-jacket. However, they were originally $100, went to $34, then to $17. Have to play the game and know when to buy.

And bought both patterns of this for $9 each:
https://www.blackovis.com/clothing/mens/base-layers/king-s-camo-xkg-elevation-1-4-zip-tee

Have to learn the cycles and play the Costco game. It's real if "you know".

Also, I do enjoy the selection of meat and am a fan of the pre-made pulled pork that's Kirkland brand. Saves me time and is actually pretty damn good, even though I don't get the satisfaction of tending the smoker for hours (which I truly love doing but sometimes don't have time for).

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is that Costco , Sam's or both ?
Sorry, Costco. And situation in life matters....with teenage boys I pay for my membership with cereal, milk, tires, etc. very quickly. I do the "Executive membership" because it ends up paying for itself in the form of a Costco check every year without fail.

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife likes ALDI for grocery . We don't get to Fargo often but we always make a stop there .
Aldi certainly makes sense. If I didn't have teenage boys, it might be the wiser choice for just the wife and I, at least for everyday food. However, I do enjoy hunting bargains at Costco. They are there to be had and IMO pay for my membership....exhibit A: tires.

Last edited:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We've got memberships to both, but the last year or so when we are in Bismarck, rarely go into Sam's Club...always go into Costco. We should prolly canx our Sam's membership?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
costco has some food items organic only, which is 2x what youd pay for the non organic version at sams... I have both but go to sams about 2x as much as costco. Costco brand alcohols are pretty good tho, for the price.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think for most people it just depends where you live. In Bismarck if you live on the North side get Costco and if you live on the south get Sams. I pay for my Costco membership just in gas savings alone. Other than that I tend to buy some bulk non-perishables, milk, eggs, alcohol etc.

Since this is an outdoors site, I will say Costco has a good deal on a leatherman kit right now for $49 (in-store) that would be $130 if you bought the pieces separately.

https://www.costco.com/leatherman-skeletool-%26-skeletool-kbx-combo-pack.product.4000205926.html

Last edited:

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We have memberships to both and the wife goes to both all the time. I don't believe she favors one over the other to be honest.

The thing I absolutely hate about both is they don't always carry items all the time. So if you find something you really like, all of a sudden it could be gonzo and never come back.

Amazon is king, not necessarily in pricing, but in having stuff they rule!

★ Legendary Member
We have costco and have been very happy with them. My biggest complaint over the past 9months is you can't find a prime grade rib roll. I have asked and was told the warehouse determines what they get they don't.....the price of beef is so high we haven't been getting as much prime in...etc. My wife was there yesterday and all they had was bone in....Does Sams usually have prime grade? I like to cut my own steaks and was planning on making a prime rib for new years.

Gus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you live near one and can fill fuel there regularly, you’ll cover your mem fee and then some. 91 gas and diesel usually .50 cheaper and reg gas usually .30ish

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Costco here. Notice that their diesel is labeled as "Top Tier" and generally $.50 less ($2.98 this AM) than other major brands in BisMan. Like Kirkland's brand of Crown as well at about half the cost of the 1.75 Crown.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I havent filled at costco, but at sams I dont think they sell ethanol free gas, and I dont like supporting the ethanol industry if I can avoid it....

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since moving to AZ, we have both. Had just Sam's in ND as Costco hadn't built in Bismarck back then.
My bride prefers Sam's for hamburger and we get our steaks at Costco.
Have you tried Costco's boneless pork chops? Basically the back straps cut 2'' thick and tender as all get out.
If you drink booze (I don't) Costco has some great prices. Have picked up booze for the neighbors a few times when at Costco.
Bought a 85'' Samsung TV through Costco a couple weeks ago and had it delivered to the house. Delivery took awhile as we are 70 miles from the Valley.
We do a lot of online buying from Sam's as they are cheaper than Costco for online ordering, at least for the things we order. Sam's ships it for free to our house.
Both are getting more expensive but what isn't nowadays?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Go to Sam;s. Have a Sam,s credit card and get 3% to 5% back on certain stuff. Adds up to about 40$ per month and watch the instant cash back sale products also get the roasted chicken for less than 5 bucks. LB

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have both memberships --- dont ask me why

Costco - booze, food
Sams - misc goods toys clothing
Aldi - milk eggs

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I havent filled at costco, but at sams I dont think they sell ethanol free gas, and I dont like supporting the ethanol industry if I can avoid it....
They did for a while --- 87 ------ my boat luvs 87 vs 91. But i dont trust that it doesnt contain e even thoough it states it doesnt. sporadic

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5