Deer Decoys

ndkid70

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am thinking about trying decoys for archery deer hunting. Anyone have success using them? Any tips, tricks, or suggestions on which ones to use and decoy setup in relationship to stand or ground blind location?

Thank you.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one. Never used it. I hope to some day. Looking forward to learning more on this thread.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have one on my shelf if you want it. Used it a couple of times with no lick

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would imagine keeping it outside and avoiding scent transfer to the decoy would be one of the main things for decoy success.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
our recent experiences with scent and big bucks suggest that it's not really that big of a deal

either that, or my entire family's odor attracts deer ;:;rofl

- - - Updated - - -

I have one on my shelf if you want it. Used it a couple of times with no lick

I think I've spotted your problem

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
I tried it for the first time last year. Had a blast. Had a couple bucks come charging in on it. I was told to put it out at about 50 yards. The bucks will then circle around it making sure they can get a scent, putting them in range of 20-30 yards for you. The 2 bucks I had last year did this exact thing. I just borrowed a decoy last year, this year i think im gonna purchase the combo in the link. I have heard good things about them. I was hunting out a ladder stand last year, but have heard they work just fine out of a ground blind too.

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/pro...WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-727296&WT.z_pg_ref=prd742328

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The area where I hunt is great whitetail/mulie crossover habitat, so I use a mule deer feeding doe Montana decoy when I do in fact use one. I have had great results as far as bringing and holding bucks within archery range but haven't killed anything yet. But what I mean by holding is having young bucks come in and try desperately to get the does attention for several minutes and she doesn't even give him the time of day. Kinda feel bad for the little guys, I've had the same problem myself in the past. So in that sense, plenty of time to a)distract the buck to draw your bow and b) offer a shot as he circles around the decoy.

But, I feel that they are time sensitive, meaning, they need to be used right around/in the rut. The Montana decoys are made of fabric so of course they soak up foreign odors. Won't take long for a buck that isn't driven to stupidity by testosterone to know the jig is up.

Last year, I was archery hunting during the rut and saw a 160ish muley 700+ yards out. It was a calm day and started wailing on the doe in estrous can. Sure enough, I called him to just to the edge of archery range (60 yards). He wouldn't come into the little clearing in front of me because he couldn't see a deer there so why would he? I had opted to leave the decoy at home for safety sake because some guys were rifle hunting the same property and they didn't know exactly where I was. Hindsight being 20/20, I was in no danger if I would have set up the decoy and I'm 99% confident that buck would have offered me a shot if I had the decoy out. He made an entire circle around me ranging from 60-30 yards grunting like a pig with his nose to the ground looking for that hot doe. This year, I will give him what he wants, a visual aid, and have the decoy out.

Redrifle14

I've used a decoy for the past 10 years while bow hunting. Most of the deer I have killed have been decoyed in. I set it up 25 yards from me upwind and facing me (in a quartering to me position). I use the flambeau boss buck, but most decoys on the market are good. I spray buck urine all around it on the ground and grass when I set it up and on its back. (might be over kill, but whatever). The deer will nearly always circle in downwind, head on to the decoy. More often than not that sets up a 20 yard quartering away shot. I spray a lot of urine around to hold them by the decoy long enough for a shot. If they smell anything unnatural they bolt out of range pretty quickly. They don't always come in or approach down wind. Sometimes they'll see the decoy and hang up at 100 yards. Sometimes they're locked on a doe. You never know how any given deer will respond. I like the decoy because I feel like I can draw deer to me from a long ways away in open country. I've had deer see the decoy from 500 yards away in open ag fields and come right to me. It's like anything, the more you use it the more confidence you have in it. I also do the standard calling with it as well, (rattling, grunting, bleats). That's my set up. Hope that helped anyone who's thinking about purchasing one. My personal guide is that I use a buck decoy from October 25th to November 13th. After that, I'll use a buck doe combo or just a doe decoy. Good luck to all this season!

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year was the first time I ever used one.
Pre-rut: deer don't give a shit.
During rut: Works. I killed a buck that came in from a few hundred yards out. He was sniffing the rear of the decoy when I arrowed him.
I used a buck decoy and a grunt call, but I like the idea of the doe paired with the estrous call.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have reconsidered my position on decoying deer.

T'int right, t'int fair, t'int proper.

2671E70700000578-2986070-Better_treatment_on_the_horizon_Poldark_was_seen_treating_Jud_li-a-18_1425896284627.jpg

Baiting is still OK though.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have reconsidered my position on decoying deer.

T'int right, t'int fair, t'int proper.

2671E70700000578-2986070-Better_treatment_on_the_horizon_Poldark_was_seen_treating_Jud_li-a-18_1425896284627.jpg

Baiting is still OK though.

master decoyer just doesn’t have the same “feel” as master baiter....

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve tried a doe decoy a couple of times but haven’t any luck with that.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stupid question- would you be afraid to paint a big orange spot on it to deter hunters? Would love to use one but public ground is scary

ndkid70

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you for all the good responses and advice. Confirmed some of my initial thoughts and gave me some new ideas too.

I think I am going to give it a try and hopefully post a picture of some great results.

Again, Thank you!

:)

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've used one, with limited success. Its not going to work every time, and in my case I end up second guessing my self if it doesn't work or scares deer away. I've gotten down 2 times and laid the decoy down. I use the primos scarface decoy with a piece of plastic bag on the tail to catch the wind. I've also had times where I really really wished I had a decoy out. Just never really know how the deer are going to react.

But then there are times it does work and its awesome. I have only used a buck decoy, usually put it 30-35 yards away, quartering to me upwind. I think using a decoy is a whole package type thing, need to have the scent, sound, and visual.

It seems weird, but I am going to try a decoy late september/early october this year. I've rattled in a few decent bucks during that time of year and both times were situations that if I had a decoy out, they would have fully committed and tag filled. I think its a time of year where bucks are staking out territories and dominance and there is quite a bit of sparring going on.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 200
  • This month: 168
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57