Deer Licenses

Deer license changes?

• The system is fine, No change is needed

Votes: 142 74.7%
  • 1 lottery tag that can be used in any season (bow, rifle-unit specific or muzzleloader - statewide)

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • Statewide archery OR "rifle tag" be used in bow or rifle (unit/sex specific) OR sep. muzzleloader

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Limited bow only tag for statewide and 1 lottery tag that can be used in any season

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Previously suggested1 license/tag system

Votes: 6 3.2%

• Total voters

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those of us that occasionally get two tags have already been smart enough to make the necessary changes to give us a better chance at drawing. Guys like you and obi cant seem to grasp that concept. I put in for a hard unit rifle first, then easy unit rifle second, then doe tag after that, and then also buy a bow tag. I have never actually shot 2 deer in the same year, but i'm always in the field in some fashion because i'm flexible and not to damn stubborn to change. Anyways have a good day!

Throwing the BS flag now. If your flexible and not too damn stubborn then why not give up one tag since you only shoot one deer anyway and give it to someone that didn't get one.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The one tag he would be giving up is the tag literally every single person can buy. That is the failed logic in your thinking.

With what everyone in this one tag scenario is proposing, is the all the bow tags, the muzzleloader tags and the rifle tags into one pool. Let's say that is 80,000 tags for example. The problem is, each weapon has different success. However, the G&F will have to treat each one as a rifle tag because it the most impact in the population. So, to compensate for that, they can't allocate the 80,000 tags they would now. They would only be able to allocate, say 60,000 or so. So overall, less opportunity for everyone. Sure some guys will treat it as only a bow tag or only a muzzleloader but the G and F can't rely on people to self police. How on earth can you guys see that as a win? Is that seriously what you consider fair?

This has been explained several times over. Those that are still advocating for it aren't interested in getting it right. You just want to be right and there is a huge difference.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not arguing just to be right , Sorry if people take it that way but that's not the case. I have zero faith in "say 60,000 or so." It's a guess , We can guess all day long and it proves nothing. I do have faith though in my theory that if nobody got two tags in our unit my kids have a better chance to get one.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I was young I could go to the Coast to Coast store and get my license on Friday morning. Then walk for days and never see another hunter or for that matter a deer.

Then the lottery came and finally in 95 I applied for my last rifle whitetail tag. That was the last year I shot at a whitetail and my last shot was with my son also shooting at that deer. Finally took the horns off from hanging on a tree to dry out since then to mount(still had hide on). Will ask my son once done if he remembers this deer.

But I adapted and got a bow and have hunted with that since, five bucks in that time and yes in my world bow hunters are picky. Son adapted too with a bow. A whole different world out there versus rifle hunting and yes I could of harvested a deer every year with the bow but not my goal.

At 71 I am sure I will need to adapt again as for many, instead of adapting one needs to change the system and I would imagine at the bow hunters expense.

No I do not need to be guarantee a tag as I get one every year. Gratis tags, if only the rules were follow I could live with those getting.
Bow tags are already being used by the rifle hunter. And I could also go on and on. Sometimes I feel in my area more deer are kill by poachers than license hunters or those that feel one tag means a handful. db

- - - Updated - - -

I would add that if my dad was still alive he could tell the story of how there was no whitetail hunting season for many years of his youth. db

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not arguing just to be right , Sorry if people take it that way but that's not the case. I have zero faith in "say 60,000 or so." It's a guess , We can guess all day long and it proves nothing. I do have faith though in my theory that if nobody got two tags in our unit my kids have a better chance to get one.

I have one more simple question Davey? Are you willing to throw Gratis tags into the general lottery bucket? If your advocating a one tag system to improve general lottery chances for everyone then everything should be in that bucket. Are you willing to give up your guaranteed tag to give your own kids/grandkids and everbody else a better chance....yes or no??

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Your theory is wrong and you provide nothing to support it. Yeah my numbers are guesses but the the idea behind them is correct. The G&F dropped deer rifle tags below 50,000 for a reason. You're advocating they give out 80,000. What do you think will happen. The numbers allocated have ALWAYS been a factor of success rates. So without a doubt, there would less tags allocated regardless of the math used.

EnglishCocker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stats from G&F website for 2017
54,500 Rifle tags 63% success = 34,335
1,022 ML Tags 38% Success = 388
28,481 Bow Tags 39% Success = 11,108
Total estimated deer killed is 45,831.
If we went to a 1 tag system, what would be a reasonably success rate? 80%? If you use that number and figure the deer herd can support the number of 45.8k deer killed that would mean there would be roughly 57k licenses available with 1 tag system. This may increase rifle hunters chances of getting a tag by 2500 licenses but would take the chance to hunt away from 27K people to do so.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one more simple question Davey? Are you willing to throw Gratis tags into the general lottery bucket? If your advocating a one tag system to improve general lottery chances for everyone then everything should be in that bucket. Are you willing to give up your guaranteed tag to give your own kids/grandkids and everbody else a better chance....yes or no??

NO , Taking a tag from someone that only has one tag doesn't make much sense . Taking a tag from someone that has two tags and giving it to someone that doesn't makes sense. Not sure how to say this without coming across with bad vibes but it has to be said . As sportsmen , we have to get along for many reasons. land access can be tough in some areas and I don't see that getting better any time soon, The longer we can delay that the better off we are. I don't want to piss off landowners and neither should you guys, Taking away gratis tags will do just that. Common sense goes a long ways.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Science, logic and the majority be damned. It's obvious you aren't going to change Davey's mind. He wants everybody else to give something up so HIS family has a better chance at getting a buck tag.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
NO , Taking a tag from someone that only has one tag doesn't make much sense . Taking a tag from someone that has two tags and giving it to someone that doesn't makes sense. Not sure how to say this without coming across with bad vibes but it has to be said . As sportsmen , we have to get along for many reasons. land access can be tough in some areas and I don't see that getting better any time soon, The longer we can delay that the better off we are. I don't want to piss off landowners and neither should you guys, Taking away gratis tags will do just that. Common sense goes a long ways.
Thats what i thought. You want a change that benefits your kids and you don't care how many other people it effects as long as you don't have to give anything up or change your tactics at all. You want to have your cake and eat it too. Holy shit dude, could you be any more self-serving?? Now I am done, good day.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member

I did the math on 1 unit which had a 39% success rate to draw a rifle buck tag last year. In order to bring that percentage up to 40%, 20 other hunters would have to forgo their archery/gratis/ML license so their tags could go into the rifle lottery. If you desire a 50/50 lottery for a rifle buck tag for your kids, 225 hunters would have to give up their gratis/archery/ML tags.

To me it looks like a lot more people would have to loose opportunities, for not much more gain.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I already told you guys I knew the mentality of the people I was up against. Kick me to curb if you want but putting 2500 more people in the field to hunt is a good number.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No Davey. It would mean a 2500 more people with a rifle tag and 23,000 less people with an archery tag. Meaning a net loss of 20,500 tags. And you wonder why people don't like the idea.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
I already told you guys I knew the mentality of the people I was up against. Kick me to curb if you want but putting 2500 more people in the field to hunt is a good number.

Do you have the link or title to the poll you put together?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
No Davey. It would mean a 2500 more people with a rifle tag and 23,000 less people with an archery tag. Meaning a net loss of 20,500 tags. And you wonder why people don't like the idea.

No, 2500 more people with a tag they could use for bow, Rifle or Muzzy

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 58