Deer Rifle Recommendtions for 12-year-old daughter

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My daughter turns 12 this year and wants to deer hunt next fall. She's small for her age weights less than 70 pounds. Pretty sure any gun in my cabinet would tear her shoulder clean off :). What do you guys recommend as a caliber that will ethically kill a deer, but will be easy on her shoulder. I want her to really enjoy the experience so those 2 factors are a must. TIA!

dsharp83

Founding Member
Founding Member
223, 243, 25-06 are all good options. lighter the better , look for youth models my daughter loves her savage package
Either one I highly suggest purchasing a limbsaver pad that will reduce the recoil, less pain when shooting is the key

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
243 win weatherby vanguard. They shoot good and don't break the bank and I think you can get them with 2 different stocks youth and adult.

KJS - ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
My oldest daughter used a Savage Lady Hunter - 7mm-08 - they sell reduced recoil ammunition and I have a suppressor - no kick or muzzle blast.

If you're in the Bismarck area let me know and you can swing by and see if that would fit and maybe even plink off a round or two in the backyard (yes, I do live out of town ;)).

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
When my son started hunting deer I had him on a 22-250. That caliber with a quality bullet is a sound deer rifle. Again with a good bullet and properly placed shot deer can be killed cleanly at reasonable ranges. Not overly loud and minimal recoil. He killed several deer with this.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look for a used Remington 700 "mountain rifle" in .243. They are extremely compact and light.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
in my opinion, whatever you go with don't go with a model just because it's light. Light guns will kick more and I'm guessing you probably will be sitting rather than walking so weight is only an issue when walking to your sitting spot.

Have had four kids go hunting since they were youth and none have complained about a regular size, "heavier" gun. The only time its an issue is at the gun range where you have to make sure they have padding on for the recoil. I bought a 30-06 last year and was concerned that it was going to kick too much for my kids (the youngest was 11). They gun is a little over 8.5 lbs with scope. Everybody told me that 30-06s kick like a mule but honestly I didn't think it kicked any more than my 6mm and none of my kids complained about shooting it. Its a Weatherby Vanguard. Great gun. Picked it up at Scheels for $450 on sale.

Big C

My daughters were both smaller framed. I purchased them a youth Remington 243. The short LOP, barrel, etc. was much appreciated by them for ease in use. It is not overly light in weight so recoil was very minimal. Agree on don't go with light weight gun, often punishing in about any caliber above .22. The 243 was a great gun for sitting on stand and took several deer.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Despite their tendency to bounce off deer, I bought a 243 Tikka for my son and daughter to use a couple years ago. Nice little rifle that has take a few deer already. My daughter was 11 this fall and about 85 lbs when she shot her first deer. One shot and done at about 120 yds.

I'm just about done rebuilding a stock for my 25-06, it'll fit the son next year since he's kind of big for a 13 yr old. Or I'll put the cut-down synthetic stock back on it for him to use as the daughter will most likely lay claim to the 243 if they both need to be armed at the same time.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My kid started shooting my 6.5 creedmoor when he was 8 or so bit it weighs 13 pounds has no recoil and he has always been big. Problem now is my guns lop is to short for him now he is13 and 6’5. I have shot some light 6:5 and they are right there with 243 and 7mm 08. I think fit is the most important

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
AR shooting 223 50gr. ballistic tips. My daughter was extremely small for her age, so nothing fit her except the AR. I put an adjustable butt stock on it and she was then able to fit the rifle. I'll admit I was a little worried about using the 223, but I am happy to report that she has shot 4 deer so far (all one shot kills) and her younger sister just shot her first with it last fall. AR really fits the bill with the adjustable butt stock and almost zero recoil.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 2nd oldest daughter took her 1st deer last year with my river M77 Mark II. She weighs bout 70 pounds. Recoil was not an issue. It's calibured in .243 with 100 gr. Federal ammo.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shot a few deer using 223 and 65gr gamekings, they do the job. I wouldnt recommend using anything as light as 50 grains unless they are Barnes TSX.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The kids I see in my hunter ed classes seem to do well with the 243, 260, 7-08 class rifles. Enough power to get it done without a lot of recoil to teach bad habits (from flinching to wanting to quit shooting).

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
My kid started shooting my 6.5 creedmoor when he was 8 or so bit it weighs 13 pounds has no recoil and he has always been big. Problem now is my guns lop is to short for him now he is13 and 6’5. I have shot some light 6:5 and they are right there with 243 and 7mm 08. I think fit is the most important
What the heck 13 and 6' 5'' ??? WOW

- - - Updated - - -

22.250 is an excellent caliber and i have shot lots of game including antelope and many deer with all of ours.
But for a beginning shooter i would go with a 243. We have several of them too and all tack drivers. Have more knock down power than the 22.250 also.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'll start by saying that I am by no means a rifle guy and my knowledge is fairly limited...
Both my kids both started with 22-250 and I did not care for that as it has such a small bullet and if shot placement is not ideal, then you might have trouble. I know a family that has 9 kids who hunt and they all started with .223s. Again, small bullet and shot placement is critical.
I moved both my kids to .243's and I felt much better using bullets twice the size as the 22-250, and the kids did great with those guns. Highly recommend a .243. They are fast and flat shooting, plus you can get quite a range of bullets for them so you could put more fur friendly bullets in it if you want to call fox or coyotes. Just my 2 cents.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ruger American compact under 7lbs with scope. I have a 7-08 very little recoil. Gun has a very good trigger for factory gun in that price.

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you saying 5 deer with a 50 grain BT was a fluke?

Shot a few deer using 223 and 65gr gamekings, they do the job. I wouldnt recommend using anything as light as 50 grains unless they are Barnes TSX.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I often wonder how the 6.5 Grendel would be in an ar-15. Get one with an adjustable gas block turn the gas off and it would be the same as bolt action. Have to manually cycle it. Does not have to be 6.5 6.8 or 300blkout lots of options.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
anybody that thinks a 234 isn't a good caliber for white tail is nuts. my dad had to listen to that BS for years. Yet I've never seen anybody make more one shot kills on deer that were on the dead run than he did. It's was ridiculous. But he could place that round in the vitals every damn time. He's disgusting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33