one year later

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This time last year i was at work in the morning. Age 73, i decided that i needed to go on with life before life ends me. Wrote a short note to the boss and laid on his desk. Out front to lady and said i was going home and probably will not be back. And i was not. No gold watch, hugs, farewells or party.

Got home told the wife i quit. She had quit her part time job a few days ago.
Now what? No salary, benefits and all kinds of time on our hands. Concerns were many. After one year i have found:

Adjustment:
50 years ago i had completed my time in the service but still found myself in the high lands of SE Asia drinking beer with my pot head buddies. Got hit that night and medivac came and haul some away. That morning i decided it was time to go home and asked the company clerk how i get out of the bush and find my way home (that was an experience). Got home on Wednesday and Saturday went to local small town bar. Reception was not even close to what i thought it would be. Sat at bar with passed out veteran and bought my own beer for the next two hours. Not one person in bar came up to me to say welcome home.
Sunday i planned a trip to California in my 68 delta 88. At that time SE Asia became only a moment in time and was a blur for me. New day and new adventures. I had adjusted (and i do not need a welcome home).

This adjustment now was slower but in time, when morning came, it was good not to go to the job i liked and missed somewhat. I did adjust. No one but ourselves to answer to.

Monies:
Income is now $4,700 per month from SS and one other source, Monthly bills are $18-2,000 each month with the big item insurance, no debt. Balance for living. Wife asks what i do with that monies and i ask her the same thing. However during the year we have not use any of our saving or interest on our savings for living.
Did our 2020 income tax. With income as such no tax so took $20,000 out of IRA to Ross. That added a tax bill of $1,000 which i can wipe out with credit on the first stimulus plus some earn income credit (maybe, if i did this right) That $20,000 saved us about $4,500 in taxes before so it did work.

Time:
I have found there is not enough time in the day to get done what i plan to do the night before. In fact not enough time in my life to do what i want to do.
-found a diamond willow patch so have all kinds of sticks
-built a play house for my kids in 1983. Finish inside with insulation and electric and haul to teenage grand kids. They did use it.
-built a new food plot with two man stand and room to sleep with heat. Arrow a five point and if i count all horns it will score in the 160. However i prefer to score as the Brunner and Hanson buck were score so it nets and grosses in the 150. It is a 150 class buck.
-one trip of 750 miles on Goldwing with wife. That is not acceptable.
-young, long blonde hair lady got her thrill by exposing both boobs to me as i rode my scooter east of Devils Lake on highway 2. That is acceptable.
-more work on house than i thought there was.
-need to do a better job on my food plots next year.
-hope to get my dad's KB5 he bought new in 1948 this year, Low miles and in excellent shape.
-son had a grandson for us. That makes 10 now.
-list can go on but this is to long already.
-most of my rifles are old and over half i have not shot some due to lack of finding bullets of that caliber, Need to find and shoot in 2021.

But there were issues to:
Five members of the extended family passed away in 2020. Two young ladies with cancer.
Wife got cancer and after the year end battle, doc says it is good.
Relationship needs mending with two family members and that will probably never happen. Old and a lot to do yet.

There are quite moments when i reflect on the present, past and future.
During that time i get a feeling in my body of peace, comfort and well being, It is a good feeling and thought turn to tomorrow.
Yes a lot of roads we could of gone done, a lot of, if only and maybe but it is what it is and all is good.

So for what it is worth, life is indeed good and for all of you live it to its fullest. Retire earlier than we did if it is possible. Maybe plan things a little better than we did like never used birth controls and finally one day she quit, finally, getting with child. Best of the new year for all. db

Last edited:

Happycamper

Honored Member
Thank you db-2, your experience pretty much mirrors mine including the $20K IRA withdrawal.
I was always told that with my family history of Prostate cancer it wasn't a matter of "if" it was a matter of "when" but was also told by my urologist that if i made it to 65 without prostate cancer I would more than likely die from something else. 65 happened 12 years ago and I'm still doing the things i love, just not with the same vigor. Every day above ground is a bonus

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
2021 started out with both of my parents in the hospital with covid. They were doing ok until this morning. There was a meeting with drs and family last night that they both will not get to return home and will need specialized care. I think this broke their will to live and kind of gave up. I haven’t been to their house in Dickinson to see them for about 6 months for fear that I would get them sick. It is highly probable that I may never see or hug them again. We can’t change the past but have to try and make the best out of the future.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
2021 started out with both of my parents in the hospital with covid. They were doing ok until this morning. There was a meeting with drs and family last night that they both will not get to return home and will need specialized care. I think this broke their will to live and kind of gave up. I haven’t been to their house in Dickinson to see them for about 6 months for fear that I would get them sick. It is highly probable that I may never see or hug them again. We can’t change the past but have to try and make the best out of the future.

Sorry to hear that buddy....I’ll be thinking of your family

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear of your family health problems Skeeter. Prayers sent your way.

DB my friend, it is always good to read your views on life and what is happening in your life. :;:thumbsup Our trails mirror each other somewhat and life is good and i always say, it is good to just wake up alive in the morning! :;:cheers

I also really enjoy when Guy posts pictures of Royce. That dog just makes me happy in the face! :;:exactly

Enjoy the New Year my friends and wish the best for all of you! :;:rockit

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Happycamper:

Prostate number when up to 10 which i am told is high. So had this 10 foot pole up my butt and snip snip about three years ago. Appears no cancer but not sure. Doc says never again as you will die from something else and not prostate cancer as you were told.
i said what if i live to be 100. He said i probably will die of prostate cancer. Got a ways to go. db

Happycamper

Honored Member
psa was 26 the last time we checked. I'm doing well at this point. Never want to go through what my Dad was forced to endure. I'll bite a bullet before I succumb to the knife.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I perhaps left my doctor scratching his head. Three weeks ag I had three pre cancerous growths burned off my scalp and on on the top of my rivht ear. In two weeks I go in to have the entire body searched. I told my doctor he may not find much, because any time I see anything suspicious I use doctor Scholls planters wart freeze. It says use no more than ten seconds so I think 20 seconds should freez the crap out of what I want to see gone.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Happycamper:

Not sure the young want to hear about old men problems but doc give me finasteride and brought number way down. db

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
db-2, Thanks for sharing. I'll be 74 in 20 days. Gone thru a lot of similar life's lessons and road bumps. All in all been a great ride. With all this lock down we haven't been able to see the kids and grandkids. They are in Minneapolis and Kansas. Getting two new knees soon. Hope to be running around like teenager when open water hits. All the best to you.

Skeeter you are in my thought and prayers.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Skeeter your family is in my prayers, may the good Lord bless. LB

Happycamper

Honored Member
Happycamper:

Not sure the young want to hear about old men problems but doc give me finasteride and brought number way down. db
I think a thread with advice from the "old guys" might be in order, Every youngster from puberty on should be taking a zinc suppliment

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My mom kept everything.
So today i went into some old boxes that have been sitting in storage for a long time.

Two were my old Hot Rod, Motor Trend and Boy Life magazines from the 50 and 60 so got a lot of reading to do again. Also some old wish books from that period of time including sears and pennies.

Other box full of my models from that same period and they all need some tender loving care.
So i try it today but my fingers have gotten bigger and one thumb, i saw the tip off on my chop saw so this is just not going well, may have to abandon and settle on reading old car books. db

Last edited:

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope you get the opportunity see them, give them a hug and hold hands. All the best for you and your family Skeeter.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
DB...and all who share personal experiences on NDA...both good and bad...God bless. Many of us will never meet in person, but in the 4 years I've been an active participant on this site, the comaraderie and brotherhood I've witnessed is very evident. Skeeter...prayers to you and your family. I hope and pray 2021 brings all of us and our families and friends peace and prosperity.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88