DL Pontoon Fire

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boaters come to rescue after father and daughter bail out of burning pontoon

DEVILS LAKE, N.D. — About 30 boats came to the rescue of a North Dakota man, his daughter and the family dog after their pontoon erupted in flames Saturday on Devils Lake.
David Gerszewski, 50, said he and his daughter took the pontoon out Saturday evening for a joyride to make sure it was running well before taking the rest of the family out on the lake. Around 5:30 p.m., Gerszewski said he noticed smoke rolling out of the back end.
“In minutes, it was totally engulfed in flames,” he told the Grand Forks (N.D.) Herald on Sunday. “We all bailed off.”
David Gerszewski’s pontoon goes up in flames Saturday evening on Devils Lake after it caught fire. About 30 boats came to the rescue of the Minto, N.D., man, his daughter and the family dog after they jumped into the water. (Courtesy photo via Forum News Service)Gerszewski, of Minto, N.D., said he isn’t sure how the fire started, but they got off as fast as they could. His daughter grabbed the dog and threw it off the pontoon and into the water before jumping in herself, he said. Wearing lifejackets, the three were able to swim away to a safe distance as the pontoon burned.
However, the three were about 2 or 3 miles away from the shoreline. Gerszewski said they could float and let the current take them to shore if they were lucky, but that could take hours.
Luckily, about 25 to 30 boats in the area saw the smoke and flames and immediately came to their rescues, he said. One boater pulled the dog into his craft as Gerszewski and his daughter climbed in.
“There were a lot of boats that came flying up” to make sure they were all right, he said.
Gerszewski, his daughter and the boaters sat for about an hour watching the pontoon flames burn until they extinguished on their own. Then the boaters helped pull the incinerated pontoon in to shore.
The pontoon is sitting on a trailer waiting to be looked over by an insurance agent, Gerszewski said. It’s a total lost, but everyone is fine and escaped injury, he said.

“It just kind of shook me up a bit when it went up,” he said. “I couldn’t believe how fast it went up in flames. … There’s nothing left to it.” He said he was thankful the boaters came to help him and his daughter.
“That would have been along float,” he said. “I’m just glad nobody got hurt.”
He did have some advice for people who are boating.
“Make sure you everybody has lifejackets,” he said. “Be prepared because it happens.”

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad everyone is OK but what I found interesting is that someone reported on the comment section of this on BookFace and stated that he first started a fire when they were launching the boat and put it out with a fire extinguisher, got the fire out and still decided to take the boat out and the extinguisher was fully used up. Not sure that is true but the person stated they were an eye witness to the event.

BTW, I would S*** my pants if my boat started on fire in the middle of the lake!

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I watched it through binos from the beach at our campground. Pretty scary.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup. When a boat sinks slowly, you'll have time to get the lifejackets out, put 'em on, etc. When in a hurry, (or if you're ko'd), the lifejackets don't do any good in storage.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.facebook.com/mark.josendale/posts/10211501218898471 wherever the hell lake texamo is
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Terrible-deal
Spent about five weekends fishing Texoma. Really nice reservoir with some good stripers and bass both largemouth and smallmouth.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
POTTSBORO, Texas - A major fire destroyed a boat dock and damaged several boats on Lake Texoma Wednesday morning.
It happened at the Highport Marina in Pottsboro, which is about an hour and a half north of Dallas. Fuel tanks and oil burned for hours, destroying about 15 to 20 boats. But there were no injuries.
For Ann and Keith Graumann there was a bit of relief -- they spotted their boat away from the fire.We drove around and saw that ours is a couple of docks away,” Keith said. “We’re thankful Highport did that for us.”
A ramp leading to the docked boats at Highport Marina also caught fire, making access for firefighters even more difficult.
"Because we're lots of volunteer departments in this area the response time wasn't as quick, by the time we could get engines on scene the fire had already spread to multiple boats,” said Trenton Gray, North Texas Regional Airport FD.
People on the scene estimated the total damage was likely in the millions.
“We would like to sincerely thank the first responders who were on the scene, as well as our employees and customers who were at the marina and helped keep others safely away from the fire,” Highport Marina said.
The marina plans to work with boat owners who will now have to move, repair or replace their vessels.
Officials plan to monitor and respond to any potential adverse affects to the water quality at the lake.
The fire department is still investigating the cause of the fire

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33