Do you tell the family?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Went to Grand Forks the other day in my 97 Dodge 2500, Cummins, five speed manual, 4.10 gears with positive traction. Now have 100,000 miles on it.
I feel i know the town somewhat and know how to get to where i want to go. However, that was not the case last week.
Found myself going down the wrong streets, going in the wrong way and direction. Guy gave me the finger so i gave it back but i will admit i was in the wrong. Ended up in the residence part of town one time and have to admit i was somewhat lost. Needed street signs to find my way out. But did come up on a rummage sale and they had two toy draft horses with decent harness and a very nice cover wagon. Always wanted one and got in for $40. So not all lost.

But now what.

Do i tell the family and risk losing the keys to the vehicle. Will soon be 76. Just put new rubber on it.
Say nothing.
Drive the wives 2019 Buick to protect my Dodge. Easier to drive.
Say it just happen one time and be more focus when i drive again.

Well i just put it in storage, under wrap and said nothing. However, will need to take out again as i promise my granddaughter to take her out west for a mule deer on her youth license. Took her sister out a few years ago and she got herself a decent mule deer.

What do you say? Got old. db

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
grand forks has changed allot in the last few years and i get turned around and wonder where the hell i am.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Manual in a big pickup is a bitch in heavy traffic, ( F250 6 speed manual). I dont take it down town Fargo anymore cause of how things have changed and my reflexes are not what they used to be plus too many blind spots where those little clown cars can hide. LB

OldNews

Don't be so sure it was you. They have really changed some things there the last few years. Heck, I couldn't find Menards a couple weeks ago.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
its good you are being honest with yourself that there might be issues. Too many old people are in denial until they kill someone or cause a serious accident. Drive the easy vehicle and continue to monitor your abilities, if you notice more problems consider trying to drive less or let the wife drive (assuming shes not having issues). Eventually most people will need to give up driving, its just a matter of when...

You SHOULD be honest with your wife about your concerns, then she can also try to help monitor your ability.

Last edited:

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
Also - if you have a very good relationship with your health care provider you should share this with them him/her. They can actually test for and treat mild forms of early onset memory issues. Maybe it's just a couple trips to PT to work on the cognitive side. Maybe it's nothing at all and GF has changed alot. either way they can at least be aware and monitoring.........

Just my $.02!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stay out of GF.

In all seriousness, I think Lycanthrope just gave you some solid advice

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I suppose you could get checked On the other hand you did realize you weren't where you wanted to be and knew enough to read street signs to get where you wanted to go. Now that you realize you might need to pay better attention to where you want to go it seems like you're not as bad as it may seem. The ones I have known who ended up with problems never did realize they were going downhill. Good luck.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
my wife's uncle drove to Williston for 40 years to the furniture store he owned and ran that entire time, one day he had to have his wife come to town and get him home, as he was completely lost. It can happen, but I don't think your getting turned around is at all the same

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think if you're asking, you know the answer DB.

My grandpa was getting too old to drive at one point years ago. I think everyone was scared he'd get mad if we suggested he ask for a ride or hang up his keys.

So we said nothing.

He wound up running a red light and hitting a gal. She was injured. And pregnant. Lord smiled as I believe the baby was unharmed. But it was a wake-up for sure.

I'd say if you're wondering about your memory or forgetting things, visit with your doctor. Seek professional guidance. And realize the decisions you make today can impact someone else's for a lifetime.

Good on you for asking us, DB. But we're just dumb schmucks on an outdoor forum. Go ask your doctor.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tell your bride and kids and hopefully they will keep an eye out.
Never know could be just a fluke or could be a mini or light stroke.
Be upfront with them. You don't want to hurt anyone because you were too bull headed.

Last edited:

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The joy's of aging db....do a mental self check daily,first thing to go is short term memory,recently went thru the dementia deal with my dad,at 90 yrs old he was still driving himself for groceries unless I showed up to drive him,when I made the decision to take his car/keys he got really pissed,old fart hopped on his bicycle 5 days later and rode 10 miles to a honda dealer,bought himself a new honda fit because he felt trapped with no wheels,little shit box to make grocery runs,this ended in 2021 when we put him in senior care,his short term memory was gone completely,when I visited and asked him what he had for breakfast,two-three hours before,he was clueless,but he could remember every detail being in korea;s war,no worries db,cities change along with landscaping,new housing etc,it can be confusing even for 40-50 year old folks,maybe leave the beast in the barn and drive the wife's rig ,take another run,have your wife along as co-pilot and navigation chief.

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
there are mechanisms for pulling people's licenses against there will. my advice if you want to control your own destiny: 1. pull this post. 2. don't see a doctor about this.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also - if you have a very good relationship with your health care provider you should share this with them him/her. They can actually test for and treat mild forms of early onset memory issues. Maybe it's just a couple trips to PT to work on the cognitive side. Maybe it's nothing at all and GF has changed alot. either way they can at least be aware and monitoring.........

Just my $.02!

This is very good advice brewcrew, yes there are break throughs in understanding the brain functions of our boomers later years. But as we can see by your post you are still sharp in cognitive skills of coherent sentence structure. Unless you are really stuck on your dodge maybe it's time to get yourself a truck better suited for your driving habits which for you is putting around town running errands. JMTC

- - - Updated - - -

there are mechanisms for pulling people's licenses against there will. my advice if you want to control your own destiny: 1. pull this post. 2. don't see a doctor about this.

This is a little extreme advice don't you think, i don't know db and I highly doubt anyone is going to run to the administration to find out who he is just to take away his keys becuase he decided to take a detour.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad was 92 when he decided to stop driving. He is very coherent and knows exactly what is happening around him but his reflexes and and ability to to turn his head and see were his drawbacks. It’s something that only you can decide and know your abilities. Everyone will tell you to stop driving and stay home and be a hermit. Screw them. You decide for yourself.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Admire DB2 for being up front and straight about this, most people would just keep their mouth shut and think nothing of it.
Short similar story:

A few years back, my brothers father in law wanted to go to Denver and see his son, he has driven down there before, but this one time, he wanted to go by himself, when everyone suggest he just fly down, kinda got mad and said no, I want to drive.
He gets to belle fourche SD and they had some road construction going on at the time and he got confused, so he pulls over into a motel and stays the night, next day he tries to leave and ask the people at the motel how to get out of belle fourche and head to Denver, confused, he ends up back at the motel, ends up staying there 3 nights before he calls home telling his wife he's lost. They had to go down there and get him and bring him up back to Williston. He is now in the nursing home.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d listen to espringer. Ask Vollmer to delete this thread.

Getting turned around with directions is no big deal if you’re driving safely. Most women do that their entire lives.

- - - Updated - - -

How’s a doctor gonna figure this out - and what meds might they prescribe?

Ive seen what they put in Biden’s veins and I don’t want it.

Also - most Dr’s are greedy hacks from what I’ve seen as of late with COVID.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84