It was a time of youth

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Still crab outside so sat and thought about my youth.
:

Teen years were in the late fiftes and early sixties. A time when a guy wore engineer boots, white t-shirt with a pack of cigarettes under the sleeve, leather jacket, black with a bunch of zippers, long hair full of grease and comb into a ducktail. We were good and i assume our lady friends felt that too. One friend had a lower Mercury chop in the roof, one had a four-door sedan model A, one roadster with knop tires and one a model A coupe. The Mercury and coupe had flat heads in them.
Fights were common and i was thinking of two of the better ones:

I was in Fargo at the time and my cousin and friend (Smily, street fighter) came down for their physical and draft. Got our beer and made our way to Broadway looking for women. Found none that would go with us and at midnight went to eat at a cafe by NDSU. It was a place where jocks hung out.

Now as the story is told by Smily.

He did not want to end the night without a fight. Look around for the largest in the cafe and pick out the twins who were running backs for NDSU. Went up to both and mention their skin color, which was different than ours, how ugly they were with a few more adjectives. Immediately the fight broke out and out the door they went. He felt he could beat the one in a fist fight and that went on for a while with blood on both. In time he realizes he would not be able to, so he tries wresting. Heads butted and they proceed to toss each other around. In time he again realizes that was not working either. Stood up, offer his hand to shake and comment about what a good fighter he was and did appreciate the fight. Guy would not shake his hand, walk away with about 40-50 NDSU farm boys padding him on his back and telling how he won that fight. Yeah, right. Me, my cousin and Smily left to lick our wounds. The jocks side were shouting to kill them and the two of us kept our mouths shut while Smiley jested with his hand by waving.

Fights between towns were common and it was expected to defend your turf and to know if you venture into someone else's turf there would be an issue. One night a handful of us decided to venture to the neighboring town. Upon arrive, got into a verbal fight with a carload of high school girls. To the grocery parking lot and as we pulled up the girls were waiting. They came running and the driver waited until one girl got by his door and then proceeded to knock your down with the door. As she laid making sounds on the ground the other girls came and picked her up and put her back in their car. They left and we knew what to expect in a few minutes, so we decided it best to leave. Shortest fight i was involve in and yes i know you're coming comments.

But times were changing. One could buy a strip down muscle car back then for $3,000 and the ladies became more interested in the loving part of their teen years versus watching the fighting. And the boys found that to be more to their liking also. By the time i was 20 all of that had ended, fighting that is.

Maybe the best of time as we were young. Only think going on was the leader of Russia said he would bury us and when ask when he said time was short. Should have taken care of them back then and China in the Korean conflict.

Yes, it was a time of my youth. Tell me about your time, would like to hear. db-2

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hunting just was not as much back then. Sparrows and a few pigeons in the upstairs of the barn with the cats, gophers in the pasture (for the most part did use twine to snare) and in those days we had a ton of jackrabbits. Geese and ducks were around but never care for a shotgun. Did shoot a few but chicken was better. Help ma chop (should say many and i hated it) a few heads off.
Very few deer, no elk or moose, those things that stored food for the winter and no coyotes. Badgers and foxes were few so never shot one. Eagles came to be later and not much for hawks. No owls, grouse and a few partridges. Never shot one.
So that just left the stray cats and never shot one of them either as we needed them on the farm for the mice and rats. Shot a pig or two for butcher and a cow or two that needed killing.

Enjoy the cars and first one at age 12 was a 52 Buick i got for $50 and two years later sold for $25. db

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still crab outside so sat and thought about my youth.
:

Teen years were in the late fiftes and early sixties. A time when a guy wore engineer boots, white t-shirt with a pack of cigarettes under the sleeve, leather jacket, black with a bunch of zippers, long hair full of grease and comb into a ducktail. We were good and i assume our lady friends felt that too. One friend had a lower Mercury chop in the roof, one had a four-door sedan model A, one roadster with knop tires and one a model A coupe. The Mercury and coupe had flat heads in them.
Fights were common and i was thinking of two of the better ones:

I was in Fargo at the time and my cousin and friend (Smily, street fighter) came down for their physical and draft. Got our beer and made our way to Broadway looking for women. Found none that would go with us and at midnight went to eat at a cafe by NDSU. It was a place where jocks hung out.

Now as the story is told by Smily.

He did not want to end the night without a fight. Look around for the largest in the cafe and pick out the twins who were running backs for NDSU. Went up to both and mention their skin color, which was different than ours, how ugly they were with a few more adjectives. Immediately the fight broke out and out the door they went. He felt he could beat the one in a fist fight and that went on for a while with blood on both. In time he realizes he would not be able to, so he tries wresting. Heads butted and they proceed to toss each other around. In time he again realizes that was not working either. Stood up, offer his hand to shake and comment about what a good fighter he was and did appreciate the fight. Guy would not shake his hand, walk away with about 40-50 NDSU farm boys padding him on his back and telling how he won that fight. Yeah, right. Me, my cousin and Smily left to lick our wounds. The jocks side were shouting to kill them and the two of us kept our mouths shut while Smiley jested with his hand by waving.

Fights between towns were common and it was expected to defend your turf and to know if you venture into someone else's turf there would be an issue. One night a handful of us decided to venture to the neighboring town. Upon arrive, got into a verbal fight with a carload of high school girls. To the grocery parking lot and as we pulled up the girls were waiting. They came running and the driver waited until one girl got by his door and then proceeded to knock your down with the door. As she laid making sounds on the ground the other girls came and picked her up and put her back in their car. They left and we knew what to expect in a few minutes, so we decided it best to leave. Shortest fight i was involve in and yes i know you're coming comments.

But times were changing. One could buy a strip down muscle car back then for $3,000 and the ladies became more interested in the loving part of their teen years versus watching the fighting. And the boys found that to be more to their liking also. By the time i was 20 all of that had ended, fighting that is.

Maybe the best of time as we were young. Only think going on was the leader of Russia said he would bury us and when ask when he said time was short. Should have taken care of them back then and China in the Korean conflict.

Yes, it was a time of my youth. Tell me about your time, would like to hear. db-2
It was very similar in the Hills until the mid 90's or so. Then again it's still March there...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88