Doggy Trots

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Royce has been suffering from the trots (diarrhea) for a couple weeks.

He never previously wanted to do his business at night - ever. But lately it's been a few times a night.

He's on same food he's always been on (dry kibble), and only gets a beef bone every few days.

Any ideas what's behind it and what over the counter cures might help?

Things to ask vet to check for (panels, etc.) if this continues?

Getting up several times a night is like having a newborn - it's wearing us out.

TIA

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont feed him for a day or bone for a few weeks. Make sure he has plenty of water to drink. Do you use any kind of probiotic? Canned pumpkin( 1 tbs) make sure its plain no with plain boiled chicken and rice a cup of that twice a day for a couple days. Its really bland and helps reset the digestive tract.

It sucks when it a million bellow but have you noticed and blood or mucus stuff in the poop. If it does not clear up i would guess vet would want a stool sample along with running blood panels.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a lab that would occasionally get diarrhea bouts, although I can't say I remember one that lasted more than a few days. Anyway, vet gave a tablet called Endosorb that seemed to work pretty well - I'd just pop him one a couple times a day when I noticed diarrhea. I've also heard the pumpkin and beef/chicken/rice thing.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vet told me to stay away from alot of Bone type chewy's can cause issues too. Yes rice is your fix, might be something more.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hit him with Imodium or pepto in the evening and see what happens. Could be a partial blockage. Herc got the squirts when he got into the garbage one time and swallowed part of a sock. We used a bit less then half an adult dose as he only weighed 33 lbs or so. He came out of it just fine. Hope Royce gets better my man.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a buddy dealing with diarrhea in one of his labs too, took her off the rawhides and she seems to be clearing up. Sucks that you can't even trust dog treats for reliability and quality anymore.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
His diet is limited to one brand of kibble for ~ 6yrs now - and the occasional beef bone.

He never gets treats. No rawhide or synthetic chews, no human chow, no commercial treats of any kind. That just leads to begging with "that look". Ha ha. It's easier for us that it doesn't even dawn on him to beg or expect anything outside of kibble or a semi-meaty soup bone from Hornbachers.

If he's sick galwhofishes has occasionally made homemade biscuits (pumpkin, love, oatmeal, yadda) so he doesn't have an empty stomach for meds. But that's very rare.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
His diet is limited to one brand of kibble for ~ 6yrs now - and the occasional beef bone.

He never gets treats. No rawhide or synthetic chews, no human chow, no commercial treats of any kind. That just leads to begging with "that look". Ha ha. It's easier for us that it doesn't even dawn on him to beg or expect anything outside of kibble or a semi-meaty soup bone from Hornbachers.

If he's sick galwhofishes has occasionally made homemade biscuits (pumpkin, love, oatmeal, yadda) so he doesn't have an empty stomach for meds. But that's very rare.
Which food are you feeding have they changed formula lately

Founding Member
Founding Member
FortiFlora probiotic for dogs has worked well for us in the past. Also as mentioned above rice mixed with plain chicken or a small amount of canned pumpkin. Good luck and hopefully it clears up soon.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rice cakes is what we gave our lab and cavalier when they would get the runs. Usually cleared up in 2 days

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which food are you feeding have they changed formula lately
Natural Balance - Duck and Potato.

He's allergic to chicken - we suspect over the years anyway. he gets all goobery in the eyes and lethargic and off his food when we try them.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes burger and cooked rice. Drain off the fat. Two time a day for 5 days. Then one a day and half of his dog food.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am glad you are getting some good advise here and hope it all works out. When I first saw the title I figured you gave Royce some of your hallucinogens and he thought he was a horse. 🐴

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84