Downriiger mounting on 1850 re

Mleupp

Looking for info on mounting downriver on a 2015 ranger reatta.
Not much room past rai and and curved gunnel.
Thoughts, pics??
Tx

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw a ranger boat with a downrigger in one of the seat mounts. It locked into the well just like a seat and could be removed when done. It was obviously custom made, but it might be something you could look into. Good Luck!!

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a similar issue with my 386 Stratos. Installed 12" Bert's Track system to mount downriggers. Likely a lot of other options out there but this works well for me.
Berts Track Stratos1.jpg
Berts Track Stratos2.jpg

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you’re fine with the ghetto look, you could always mount a board across the beam and secure it to the rail. I see that on a regular basis
I've thought about doing that on my Skeeter but wonder if the rails could handle the torque, especially if you snag the ball. Anyone with experience?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I did not do this on a Ranger, it was a Lund. Since I may use my boat for walleye fishing the same day I salmon fish, I wasn't interested in installing a rear beam. I took the rear decking off and engineered an anchor point with 3/4 inch plywood and metal plates. I had the metal plates cut wider than the mounting base for my downriggers. You'll have to take a look at what is under your rear decking and see if it is possible. Obviously the screws that hold your decking down aren't enough.

I just have the Cannon mounting plates (see photos) that sit on rear deck if I'm not salmon fishing. They sit down in the carpet pretty good. Then I mount the pedestal to those. It only takes 10 minutes to install the downriggers. If you do pedestals, just make sure your overall height is enough to clear your gunwale if you want your downrigger to swing out the side of the boat. I put the pivot base on top of the pedestal so I can rotate the riggers out to the side when fishing and then to the back for transport.

1691953804035.png
1691953890197.png
1691953987433.png

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've thought about doing that on my Skeeter but wonder if the rails could handle the torque, especially if you snag the ball. Anyone with experience?

I haven’t Sherlock Holmed any of these rigs, but it appears that the boards are mounted toward the rear of the rails for a couple of obvious reasons. 1: to get them as far back as possible & 2: the downward torque would pull from the rear but most importantly, bury that energy into the end of the rail anchored into the glass gunwale of the boat where the rail crashes into. Again, just an observation………

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84