Fargo area - youth conservation projects/programs?

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious if anyone has good ideas of youth conservation type projects or programs in the Fargo area run by a local group that I could get my kids involved in?

Thanks.

Sim

River Keepers used to have tree planting projects along the river in Fargo and other activities for kids, but not sure if they still do. You could also check with the Fargo Park District, since they have courses in bird identification.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Theres got to be something at the Red River Regional Marksmanship Center. Some sort of shooting league for youth.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if you have time for this, but for about a dollar apiece you can buy conservation sized trees and go plant'em on some public land somewhere. Watering, weeding, and just plain trying to keep them alive is an all summer gig. Not to mention protecting them from deer, gophers, mice, rabbits, etc. etc, etc. Lots of good lessons to be found digging in the dirt. Just a thought.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if you have time for this, but for about a dollar apiece you can buy conservation sized trees and go plant'em on some public land somewhere. Watering, weeding, and just plain trying to keep them alive is an all summer gig. Not to mention protecting them from deer, gophers, mice, rabbits, etc. etc, etc. Lots of good lessons to be found digging in the dirt. Just a thought.
When I was scoutmaster one of the boys did this very thing for his Eagle Scout Badge. For things like that sometimes the trees will be donated. For example Ladish Malting here in Jamestown donated material for my sons Eagle Scout Badge project. Another group donated nesting boxes for my oldest boy to do his Eagle Scout project, and fencing was donated to experiment with sheep, goats, and beetles to control leafy spurge for my third son's Eagle Scout project.

Check with Natural Resource Conservation Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, N D Game and Fish, and local county park boards.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37