Youth Bow - Suggestions?

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
My oldest boy, 7, is just getting his first taste of archery. Anyone have any suggestions for a brand, with a bit of adjustability in the pull weight and length? Haven't had a chance to do much shopping around yet, and I'm not huge into archery, I just dabble, so not sure what's good and what's garbage as far as kids stuff goes.

grumster

★★★★ Legendary Member
I started around that age with a recurve, that would be my suggestion. I wouldn’t vest a whole lot into equipment, they’re just going to out grow it..

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a couple adjustable ones, 2 Bear ones and one Mission one. They are all 3 very user friendly, shoot well and have a wide range of adjustment. Think my kids started at 5/6 years old, 16 year old finally grew out of the draw length on it last year- I think the Bear adjusts up to 28'' - not sure. If i were in the market for another one, I'd get another one of the Missions over the bear, I think they were all pretty similar in price when purchased, mission maybe a little more money...

Uncle Rico

My son has a Mission Switch. Got it at Scheels as a starter kit. It has a wide range of draw length and weight adjustability. However we didn't buy his bow until he was 11, so I can't say whether the Switch would be a good fit for a youngster the age of your boy. I will say I'm not sure why I'd need to buy my kid another bow until he's at least out of high school, because it adjusts all the way up to grown man settings. I think the kit was around $500 or so.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Was pretty amazed at the range of adjustments on the diamond bows. I might end up divorced but my kid will be getting an diamond atomic or prism for her birthday this next year. The diamond prism is the better deal as mentioned it'll go heavy enough for hunting. Check the kids draw length before looking at options.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Diamonds are pretty decent options, haven't priced them out for a while. I bought my daughter a used Diamond but the only thing at the time was that it didn't go lower than 24# at her draw length so we have waited a couple years, didn't get around to the kids shooting this past summer. I did buy the kids another brand (can't remember what it is) that was like $70 and you draw is whatever you pull to like a recurve and then you adjust the weight up to 18-20# which they enjoyed.
Biggest thing is figure out what draw length they will be at for a while (remember its easy to change), find out what the minimum poundage is at that length (have the store scale it) and make sure the kid is ok with the physical weight of the bow. You have boys so it might be a little different than my skinny girls.
I got that used bow for like $150 new string/cable, whisker bisket, cheap sight so I'm not out much by waiting a couple years/

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member

Check out this review of the Diamond Pro 320. I like the way he does his review's, gives lots of information.

limit2winit

Established Member
my boy is 9 and shoots Bear Royale RTH package and I will say for what it is, is pretty dang nice unit. 12-27" draw length, 5-50 pound draw weight. easy to adjust, Would definitely buy again for starter bow.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got my boy a Bear Cruzer g2 about 3-4 years ago when he was 6. 10-70 lbs and up to 30" draw length. He likes it and it shoots well.

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both my boys have Diamond SB-1 bows. Adjustable draw length from 15-30 inches and 7-70lbs. Super easy to adjust and feel good. can also set up quick if need be for an adult. One I bought new and one used. They are a steal in my opinion on what you get if you can find one. One boy started shooting his at 10 or so and one was 9 I think. Either that or 9 and 8 I just cant remember.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84