Fire by Grassy Butte

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does anybody know of a map or outline of were the fire is? We bowhunt down in that area and would like to know if we need to start looking for a new spot. Heard it was over 5300 acres as of this morning.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
You may be looking at relocating but iam thinking i may need to check out the burn area... Fire = Fresh grass

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am thinking the same thing. We always camp at Magpie when bow hunting. I'm not discouraged though. Since deer are browsers and fire stimulates many broad leaf species it could be better. However, some of the winter thermal cover may be gone and they will leave the area before gun season.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find a new area I hear Jamestown has great hunting.....#$%^&>

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the early 2000s, the Deep Creek fire burned a bunch of the whitetail habitat in the area. I ended up getting a nice 6x6 whitey that year as I was able to find more of them in the muley country I typically hunted.

It is still early enough in the year to think that area can green back up before November, but it's going to take some rain. I had a squirrel start a damn fire at my place a couple years ago that burned a little over an acre. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly it greened up in October. I don't think it was tall enough to really encourage grazing that fall, but it sure was a bright green spot come spring!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the early 2000s, the Deep Creek fire burned a bunch of the whitetail habitat in the area. I ended up getting a nice 6x6 whitey that year as I was able to find more of them in the muley country I typically hunted.

It is still early enough in the year to think that area can green back up before November, but it's going to take some rain. I had a squirrel start a damn fire at my place a couple years ago that burned a little over an acre. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly it greened up in October. I don't think it was tall enough to really encourage grazing that fall, but it sure was a bright green spot come spring!

Remember the great fire of 1979 that supposively started in your garage when that chipmunk ingested some fertilizer and then fell into a can of kerosene, instantly turning him into a flying little fluffy little molitoff cocktail that set ablaze leveling the whole neighborhood west of Newton's Hardware Store? You started that fire? No but that was pretty cool huh?

Nmariner

Established Member
Paper the other day started in/near the Magpie campground and headed North(damn hippy hikers and bikers probably ;)).

- - - Updated - - -

As long as they get it contained shortly and the porta potty is still standing we should be fine.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hah, we had no garage!

In this story, the squirrel shorted out the power pole going to my barn. He got cooked medium well from that little misadventure and I put his arse up on a post for the hawks to find.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dress in all black and they will never see you coming . . .

burnt camo ??

H09JcsfnzmpmI80EDvNePZmF6Bd7hWdieo2icGZ7ImRzIjoiaW1hZ2UiLCJmIjoiXC90XC9oXC90aHQxM3AyMDMwMTdjYW1f.jpg

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
The Dickinson Press had an article that stated the fire was around 40% contained as of last evening, and a little over 5400 acres scorched.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think the burnt areas will be almost void of any deer this fall and through the winter. Starting next spring when the new growth starts coming in is when they will move back into the area. Might take a few years for the cover to really come back though to where they stick around after the snow flies.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Somebody should build some roads so they can put them there fires out...................

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Smartass humor is not everyone's thing.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a VERY rough layout of the fire. Grassy Butte Can be seen in the upper right corner. If we get rain Allen is right that area could very well be the best place around because it will have the best and greenest food around and burn areas never get everything and this fire as you can see by the second pic clearly jumped around.

20170713_151743.jpg

Screenshot_20170713-151208.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Remember the great fire of 1979 that supposively started in your garage when that chipmunk ingested some fertilizer and then fell into a can of kerosene, instantly turning him into a flying little fluffy little molitoff cocktail that set ablaze leveling the whole neighborhood west of Newton's Hardware Store? You started that fire? No but that was pretty cool huh?
Holy biodome Batman been awhile since I last saw that one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28