Firewood...

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
We decided that we are going to put in a wood stove in our house for next year. I like the idea of being able to warm my house if we lose power. That being said, and noticing the lack of woods in western ND, how would one go about getting a winter's worth of wood? What wood burns good (best for btu's and doesn't gum up the chimney too bad)? I have a chainsaw and have got wood since I was a kid, so I can and would like to get it myself. Just looking for the advice of my fellow NDA'rs!

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ash or elm are your best heating wood. Pine or cedar is bad for sooting up chimney and they burn fast with out much heat. Cottonwood will be your most plentiful but they aren’t a very good btu wood.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Find a landowner with shelter belts or old trees rows and give them a call or stop by. We used to do this all the time. Every fall we cut 3 pickup boxes worth at the same time. We always used ash.

Just remember with a wood burner you will bring all sorts of bugs and dirt into your house from the wood. We also had a squirrel fall down our chimney one year. That was quite the experience.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find a landowner with shelter belts or old trees rows and give them a call or stop by. We used to do this all the time. Every fall we cut 3 pickup boxes worth at the same time. We always used ash.

Just remember with a wood burner you will bring all sorts of bugs and dirt into your house from the wood. We also had a squirrel fall down our chimney one year. That was quite the experience.

I grew up getting and burning wood in the house, have had dirt, bugs 'n such...but never a squirrel! That sounds like it could have been a stinky deal! Burnt squirrel! We used to put snakes in our wood pile to help cut down the rat population!

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still run a wood fireplace. It can be a lot of work. I keep telling my wife we are going to get rid of it and put in a gas insert, but then another couple of trees fall in my yard and then there is my firewood for the upcoming winter. I burn ash and cotton wood, because that is the trees I have on my lot. You can go on BisMan on line under giveaways and there is very often someone who has trees that are down they just want them cut and hauled away. The landfill used to put the trees in piles and takes bids on the piles. Highest bid got the pile the bid was placed on. I don't know if they still do it that way or not.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a wood burner in my living room, wouldn't go with out it. have propane backup now so it doesn't get burned 24 hours a day. We also have a house with just propane and cant seem to warm up no matter what the temp is set at.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I grew up getting and burning wood in the house, have had dirt, bugs 'n such...but never a squirrel! That sounds like it could have been a stinky deal! Burnt squirrel! We used to put snakes in our wood pile to help cut down the rat population!

Fell in the chimney and made his way all the way down to the actual wood burner. Made a lot of noise for a few days so we waited him out until he died a slow dark death. Never knew what it was until we opened the door while my dad covered the opening with a fish net. Low and behold there was the squirrel.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fell in the chimney and made his way all the way down to the actual wood burner. Made a lot of noise for a few days so we waited him out until he died a slow dark death. Never knew what it was until we opened the door while my dad covered the opening with a fish net. Low and behold there was the squirrel.

Guess you didn't have a spark arrestor at the top of your chimney.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any wood burns better than a snowball!.
Oak, n Ash are good.
You may be limited on what you can get where you're at.
No matter WHAT, it needs to be dry wood!
Plan at least one year ahead of time.
Do Not skimp this step!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone needs a hobby. I keep some of the wood I cut out back for firewood, but since most of my trees are willows and poplar, they are not worth saving. So I have an annual spring bonfire that probably scares the crap out of my neighbors. Last year's fire must have been near 30 ft high.

Hence, I end up buying wood for my fireplace. Cut and dried, for about 300 bucks I get all I need for my use over a winter. Granted, I don't profess to be heating my house over the winter with it.

Happycamper

Honored Member
well I'm sure you can find something closer to home but my offer in the PM stands, anytime.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31