Flip over Ice shelters - which one?

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Strongly thinking of buying a flip over. Most I will spend is $550. I want a 2 person but as light as possible and no longer than 60" so I can get it loaded in the back of my pickup, close the tail gate and not getting a hernia doing so. I want insulated. So I have it narrowed down to Otter XT Cottage, Frabill Aegis 2250 or the Eskimo Sierra thermal. Currently I am leaning towards the Frabil. Any of you boys have any insight on these models or recommendations?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the Otter sled is superior - unless the others have made strides with theirs in recent years

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Otter definitely has a better sled. Their tarp seems to hold up really well too. Only edge that Frabill has is the side entry door.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm an otter guy. Best sled, best pole design, arguably best canvas. If you only go out a handful of times a year most houses will be fine. If you go out every weekend and pull your house all over hell with an atv/snowmobile get the Otter.

I'm going on my 6th year with an otter wild cabin. The tarps weren't quite as good back then but i will still probably get close to 10 years out of it. The poles and sled are still perfect. If i was buying new today it would be the pro cabin.

By the way the Cottage is going to be really tight or impossible for two guys. I use the cabin as a big one man.

Last edited:

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Otter has a good sled, but Frabill isn't too far behind. I bought one of the first Frabill side entry models when they first came out. It is so much nicer to fish with a vertical wall in front of you. My dad bought his a year before the side entry came out and the difference is significant. Might just be an optical illusion, but there seems to be double the space inside with the side entry doors. It is heavy, can't remember how much though compared to the Otter.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They are all on the same level. If you are pulling it you better go with an otter. If you haul it in your truck mostly any of the other ones will work better as they are lighter. Loading the house by yourself is also a consideration because the thermal otter is heavy. I can load my frabil thermal by myself. Side entry is great, no more stepping over or around the heater!

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I should add, I pull my Frabill around alot in the winter and have done so for 3-4 years now. I put the Hy-Fax on the first year and have not had any issues. This includes 6 trips up to Winnipeg putting on 50-80 miles per trip.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a Shappell FX200 for the last 4yrs or so and have been happy with it for what I need
Solid One Piece Instant Flip Frames
Wide Body Sled Base
Full Width Padded Sliding Bench Seat
Wide Front Zipper Door
Rear Access Door
High Visibility Reflectors
Heavy Duty 600D Polyester Fabric
Auto-Flow Air Vents
Sled Base: 60"L x 44"W x 13"H
Size: Set Up: 60"W x 88"D x 61"H
Travel: 44"W x 60"L x 19"H
Weight: 72 lbs.

- - - Updated - - -

400_FX200_400.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I see they have an insulated option now too.
it isn't very tall and the poles don't extend for more floor space but I have spent plenty of hours with 2 people in it and we have had plenty of room. Fits perfect in my Jeep with the back seats down and all my gear fits perfect in the sled.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a Shappell FX200 for the last 4yrs or so and have been happy with it for what I need
Solid One Piece Instant Flip Frames
Wide Body Sled Base
Full Width Padded Sliding Bench Seat
Wide Front Zipper Door
Rear Access Door
High Visibility Reflectors
Heavy Duty 600D Polyester Fabric
Auto-Flow Air Vents
Sled Base: 60"L x 44"W x 13"H
Size: Set Up: 60"W x 88"D x 61"H
Travel: 44"W x 60"L x 19"H
Weight: 72 lbs.

- - - Updated - - -

400_FX200_400.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I see they have an insulated option now too.
it isn't very tall and the poles don't extend for more floor space but I have spent plenty of hours with 2 people in it and we have had plenty of room. Fits perfect in my Jeep with the back seats down and all my gear fits perfect in the sled.

That's my exact house! I bought it because of the price tag and the fact that the poles don't extend. I really wanted to run wires for my LED light strips inside the poles, and based on experience I knew that extendable poles are a bad idea. Plus you can pack up literally in seconds. I added the Hyfax kit last year because I noticed the base was getting a bit roughed up, but otherwise I have zero complaints. And I can lift it up into the bed of my truck by myself since it doesn't weight 800 pounds.

tommygun23

Established Member
I have an otter pro cabin, it's pretty much the cats ass. It is a tad heavy but if your going with the cottage that will be lighter. Quality and customer service is fantastic with otter. I won't ever switch to another brand.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have the Shappell FX150...no complaints at all. In the future will probably upgrade to an insulated model...but with the Buddy Heater going I've never not been warm enough in the hut.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the big buddy warmth hasn't been a problem here either. Nice thing about not spending $700+ is when I burn a hole in it or tear it I don't feel as bad and just patch it up. Setup and rear down is fast just have your stuff ready and flip and go

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cottage is going to be a little small I have the feeling. I do the pro cabin solo, 3 holes and heater and your full. Kinda tight with 2 people trying to fish.

Lipripper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any suggestions for a flip over that can be used for spearing? I would prefer insulated, but I have noticed that most of the insulated houses have a gray interior, so I don’t know if they will get dark enough. I have flipped them over in the stores and they seem to get dark and not let light in. Just wondering if the water reflecting off of the gray interior would cause problems.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had otter, clam, Eskimo, fished out of a few frabills and currently running otters again. Imo the best built, best pole system and the best customer service, lost a pole and they sent one no charge. My otter has been through hell and still looks like new. If you dont plan on pulling it, buy the xth lodge for room and heats easy with a big buddy on low. Best thing I can say is sit in them and flip the tarp, otter is the only one you can't see daylight through the stitching.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Yukon tc. Why because it fits under my topper with gear sled and auger

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Otter quality is top notch. I have owned 4 clams (still have 2 of them) and they dont compare to otter. Whatever you get, make sure it is thermal.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always found the Otters to be the toughest as they guys above have said. But with that comes the weight. Clams are nice but I think they spend too much on sponsors and advertising and may skimp a bit on quality. Eskimo and Shappell are light and cheap, but you do get what you pay for. I've always found Frabill to be in between Clam and Otter and probably why I've always gone with them. But if you plan to pull it with a sled or use it hard, that Otter sled and heavier duty poles are hard to beat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51