Ford F250 - 7.3 vs. 6.7

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^Interesting buckhunter...I've got 135K miles and more than 8 years on the last 2 F150's I've owned...zero issues. But I'm not brand loyal - I will seriously consider the 2024 2500 Silverado with the 6.6 gasser this spring.
They still make some good engines, I know the 5.0 is good. The 5.4 was not good. Seems like that 150k range was about it for a lot of them. There are exceptions though and maybe I just knew people that where unlucky

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a guy at work tell me something similar to this… we went outside and looked at them…my opinion they were balled and I would have replaced them long ago. Some people drive them to the cords some replace well in advance…I go with caution and replace well in advance. Every vehicle I have owned I would say the factory tires have been replaced before 35k. This includes suv and cars..factory tires just don’t last.
Crazy part is I haven’t even rotated em. Backs are getting close to needing replacement but fronts still have quite a bit left. I’ll get em rotated next month. They’re still a long way from being dangerous. Here’s a crazier thing. Had a 95’ Chevy two wheel drive I bought new. Got 75k on the stock uniroyal tiger-paw tires. When I replaced I had them stick the same model tires on it. Got another 75k on those. When I replaced those the same tires weren’t available anymore so through something else on it and they were done in 50k. Sold the pickup with those on it.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They still make some good engines, I know the 5.0 is good. The 5.4 was not good. Seems like that 150k range was about it for a lot of them. There are exceptions though and maybe I just knew people that where unlucky
I have 220k on my 5.4 but it’s blown out five of the eight plugs. But it’s an easy fix takes twenty minutes to repair

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Right on...I've gone with the 5.0 in both my 150s.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member

You know the 5.4 has been gone for almost 14-years........ It's kinda like saying Ford builds a bad diesel and then pointing at the 6.0, which is 5 generations of diesels removed from where we are at now. Is it really even a discussion point?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know the 5.4 has been gone for almost 14-years........ It's kinda like saying Ford builds a bad diesel and then pointing at the 6.0, which is 5 generations of diesels removed from where we are at now. Is it really even a discussion point?
Everyone likes to complain about the previous generations of xxxx. I had a 5.4 and can state with pretty good certainty it was a much better engine than the ones it replaced from the previous generation of Ford engines. Two coils in 120k didn't seem like it was bad to me. Yeah, heard all about the spark plug issues, but mine were fine.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone likes to complain about the previous generations of xxxx. I had a 5.4 and can state with pretty good certainty it was a much better engine than the ones it replaced from the previous generation of Ford engines. Two coils in 120k didn't seem like it was bad to me. Yeah, heard all about the spark plug issues, but mine were fine.
the boy has a 5.4, we picked the pickup up for $7,000 as it had 185,000. Figured it would be a good beat around first pickup. I will tell you we have put at least that back into it.

Never been lucky buying used items, but this pickup has proven to be a money pit. Every time I fix something and say, that will do it, something comes up

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
the boy has a 5.4, we picked the pickup up for $7,000 as it had 185,000. Figured it would be a good beat around first pickup. I will tell you we have put at least that back into it.

Never been lucky buying used items, but this pickup has proven to be a money pit. Every time I fix something and say, that will do it, something comes up

I know the feeling about buying used. I've been burned before as well and hate that aspect of it. I now find myself casually back into the used vehicle market to alleviate the vehicle shortage I occasionally have with a pair of teens.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93