Ford F250 - 7.3 vs. 6.7

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not trying to convince anybody to do anything. I drive my pickup easy and hard. It hauls groceries and pulls really heavy loads.

I watch the mpg’s all the time. I am convinced that my decision was the right one for me.

The only thing I don’t like is having a heavier pickup for driving on ice in the winter.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 6.6L duramax with 35k miles on it:

25 mile best: 35.0 mpg
50 mile best: 29.4 mpg
400 mile best: 20.9 mpg
Have a buddy with a Duramax that claims he gets 24-25 routinely running down the road.

Of course, this was after he had it deleted while everything was torn apart to install head gaskets at 60k.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only thing I don’t like is having a heavier pickup for driving on ice in the winter.

It's only natural to think the bigger 3/4 ton trucks would require a lot more ice to hold them up, but actual measurements of what it takes in ice buoyancy shows there's not a big difference between an F150 and an F350.

1699294415193.png

That being said, I kinda prefer 20 inches myself knowing how much variability is out there for ice thickness due to under-ice currents, trees/vegetation, etc.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I hate that chart @Allen, you won't find me with a truck on the ice at 8"....

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate that chart @Allen, you won't find me with a truck on the ice at 8"....
Oh, I get it. One has to remember that these numbers are for clear, uniform ice.

Not something we often see in nature. Back when I fished DL frequently, there would be 40 inches of ice out in the middle of the lake, but it was easy to find less than 10 inches of ice up next to the trees. Of course, the main trails would often pass right next to the points coming out from the trees and I always wondered how many actually knew they were driving over less than a foot of ice at times.

The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation had contractors hauling loads of rock out to the island of Audubon quite a few years ago. If I remember correctly, they required a 24 inch ice thickness.

Bottom line for me, I drive my F250 on the ice with the windows down and seatbelts off. Avoid any submerged islands (why I almost never fish Audubon) and shy away from points and saddles between above water islands.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Still have lot's of time to decide which way to go - gas or diesel in the F250, but starting to lean toward gas. We were in Europe last 2 weeks - flew back into MSP Friday. Driving home Saturday couldn't believe how much the price of gas has dropped! Stopped at the Costco in Bismarck and filled up the wife's Honda - paid $2.95/gal! Diesel still over $4/gal everywhere between Bismarck and Minot. So for the sake of argument, let's just say gas "averages" $1 less per gallon than diesel over the life of ownership. That's about a $30 - $35 difference each time you fill up. I typically fill up the truck 3 times per month - so ~ $100 a month over the life of ownership or ~ $10K (rough estimating her of course). This quick cost comparison does not take into account the differences in maintenance costs over the life of ownership either. Add in the fact that the sticker price at purchase is ~ $10K more for diesel as well. For what I will require of this F250, I just cannot justify spending $20K more on a diesel. By spring when I purchase, maybe I will have come up with some rationale argument for diesel, but at this point...unless I'm missing something...gonna go gas.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still have lot's of time to decide which way to go - gas or diesel in the F250, but starting to lean toward gas. We were in Europe last 2 weeks - flew back into MSP Friday. Driving home Saturday couldn't believe how much the price of gas has dropped! Stopped at the Costco in Bismarck and filled up the wife's Honda - paid $2.95/gal! Diesel still over $4/gal everywhere between Bismarck and Minot. So for the sake of argument, let's just say gas "averages" $1 less per gallon than diesel over the life of ownership. That's about a $30 - $35 difference each time you fill up. I typically fill up the truck 3 times per month - so ~ $100 a month over the life of ownership or ~ $10K (rough estimating her of course). This quick cost comparison does not take into account the differences in maintenance costs over the life of ownership either. Add in the fact that the sticker price at purchase is ~ $10K more for diesel as well. For what I will require of this F250, I just cannot justify spending $20K more on a diesel. By spring when I purchase, maybe I will have come up with some rationale argument for diesel, but at this point...unless I'm missing something...gonna go gas.
I have the 7.3 gasser. You won’t be disappointed.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a hard time keeping tires on the diesel. That extra weight really raises hell with them. Rotate religiously 6k miles. Wheel alignment each set of new tires. Was a large expense at about $1300/ set
128k miles, went thru these tires
BF Goodrich KO ( 2 sets)
Firestone Destinations
General Grabbers
Nitto Tera Grappler (wheels and tires put on every summer)
Sumitoma Encounter AT ( on right before sold)

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a hard time keeping tires on the diesel. That extra weight really raises hell with them. Rotate religiously 6k miles. Wheel alignment each set of new tires. Was a large expense at about $1300/ set
128k miles, went thru these tires
BF Goodrich KO ( 2 sets)
Firestone Destinations
General Grabbers
Nitto Tera Grappler (wheels and tires put on every summer)
Sumitoma Encounter AT ( on right before sold)

You are absolutely correct in that tires are a significant cost of 3/4 ton ownership, and those 10-ply tires are a shitty ride with 70-80 psi.

I put the Sumitomo on my 2009 F250 at 125k. I now have 157k and am planning on replacing them next fall at probably around 170k. Thus far they have been far superior in treadwear than the Hankooks I had to replace around 40k, twice. The other tires I've had on this truck were the original Continentals that had to go at something under 40k.

Do you have a heavy foot with a heck of a lot of gravel miles? Driving fast on gravel seems to really add to the wear, IMHE. I'm guessing about 20-25% of my truck's miles are gravel.

I've thought about trying a couple of the brands you mentioned, but these Sumitomos have been a great purchase at around 75-80% of the cost of KOs, Destinations, and probably the Nittos.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a hard time keeping tires on the diesel. That extra weight really raises hell with them.
So does 600-1000+ Ft/Lb of Tq like every diesel has had for the last decade +.

I still like the Nitto Exo Grappler on a diesel. They've got enough siping and the correct compound to be excellent on packed-snow/ice and still wear quite well. I put the 3rd set onto my '11 F250 about 6wks ago. They're heads and shoulders above the Nitto Trail or Terra grappler (both of which I've also had on this pickup) at being stable with a load in the bed or being towed. The Ex's 3rd sidewall belt is a welcome addition on a heavy pickup for me.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are absolutely correct in that tires are a significant cost of 3/4 ton ownership, and those 10-ply tires are a shitty ride with 70-80 psi.

I put the Sumitomo on my 2009 F250 at 125k. I now have 157k and am planning on replacing them next fall at probably around 170k. Thus far they have been far superior in treadwear than the Hankooks I had to replace around 40k, twice. The other tires I've had on this truck were the original Continentals that had to go at something under 40k.

Do you have a heavy foot with a heck of a lot of gravel miles? Driving fast on gravel seems to really add to the wear, IMHE. I'm guessing about 20-25% of my truck's miles are gravel.

I've thought about trying a couple of the brands you mentioned, but these Sumitomos have been a great purchase at around 75-80% of the cost of KOs, Destinations, and probably the Nittos.
Not a heavy foot but plenty of gravel between hunting,fishing, and helping farm buddies.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ok...so if I stick to my initial thoughts of going with gas, what do we think of a 2024 Chevy Silverado 2500 with the 6.6L gasser? Quick read on the specs/capacities/etc looks like that motor puts out 401 HP and can tow ~16K. Assume the 6.6L gas Chevy paired with the 10 speed Allison transmission probably gets better mpg when not towing than the Ford 7.3L gas? Anyway, guess I've got more research to do on the Chevy 6.6 gas!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have 36k on our 18’ duramax and still on stock tires. Probably 10k miles left. Lot of those miles pulling horse trailer

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a 22 duramax, thing is a monster when it’s towing. Gets great mileage as long as I am not bucking the wind. Use to be a ford guy, but after countless years of people having engine problems with fords both gas and diesel I think they where designing them to fail and I don’t want anything to do with that. We had 3 duramax pickups at work and that’s what ultimately changed my mind on them.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^Interesting buckhunter...I've got 135K miles and more than 8 years on the last 2 F150's I've owned...zero issues. But I'm not brand loyal - I will seriously consider the 2024 2500 Silverado with the 6.6 gasser this spring.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have 36k on our 18’ duramax and still on stock tires. Probably 10k miles left. Lot of those miles pulling horse trailer
I had a guy at work tell me something similar to this… we went outside and looked at them…my opinion they were balled and I would have replaced them long ago. Some people drive them to the cords some replace well in advance…I go with caution and replace well in advance. Every vehicle I have owned I would say the factory tires have been replaced before 35k. This includes suv and cars..factory tires just don’t last.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84