Goose Hunting. Any Geese around after Snow & Cold

HuntFish4life

Was hoping to get out one more time this year, but I have talk to a lot of people and no one is quite sure if the geese hung around weather we have had. I heard there are a few geese still on the Lake. Anyone know if there are any around Washburn. Not looking for specific info just if there are still geese around. Thanks for info.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are a few around from the Tail Race to Washburn. Much snow is blown off the fields so they do have access to some pickings. Trouble is that same snow is blown into sections etc.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
its a lot slimmer than a typical late season. there is some bunches of birds around but access is the biggest issue. even when the fields are blow off on the hilltops getting into them via the approach 9/10 is blocked from the plows or drifted in anyhow. there is obviously some spots a guy can get in at as people are still killing geese but finding a huntable field is one thing getting into said field is quite another.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
20161102_202505.jpg

Would this help?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
sure would for some, but then when your decoys are set are you gonna laying in -30 temps or sit in the ATV to keep you warm???

ill just stay in good with the numerous locals and landowners I work with and do it that wayThumbs Up

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
sure would for some, but then when your decoys are set are you gonna laying in -30 temps or sit in the ATV to keep you warm???

ill just stay in good with the numerous locals and landowners I work with and do it that wayThumbs Up

Ground blinds with little buddy heaters is how we did it in MN but I've never done the ND late season. Don't have the decoys setup to do it here.

Last edited:

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know of 2 fields that are full of geese but you cant get to them.There are geese on the big lake all the way down the river to bismarck.Have not been south of Bis

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
To much snow to get to them or land people can't get on? When you need snowmobiles to get to the birds you know the migration isn't remotely like it was when you were a kid! Haven't seen any geese near my place since just after the first storm other then birds up high and heading out. Mind you I haven't been putting in much effort to look either.

Last edited:

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
went for a drive today during my lunch and the river is pushing ice pretty heavily at washburn. I can hardly see any birds on the sandbars but they hide pretty easily. like the consenus is saying theres birds around but its pretty dam slim compared to the years past. makes a guy wonder when the juice isn't worth the squeeze anymore.

we had our way last sat with them too but without the landowner bringing his truck/plow to punch the approach for us I woulda stayed home. I have a couple guys that I keep going back to there fields but when theres run dry/cant get in anymore I'm hanging it up for the year.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't yesterday. It was steam as far as you could see to the NW where 1806 bends south W of the dam.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looked at that too dean yesterday and that crazy how open it is yet. Washburn was pushing big chunks of ice yesterday. And I bet these next two nights obviously don't help it. Just shocking how open the lake is. The birds bailed more on snow depth pack as opposed to open water then.

With th that being said I haven't been up around the lake just around the river

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not sporting to shoot retard waterfowl.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not sporting to shoot retard waterfowl.
Well when it's pushing -30 Sunday morning we can have the debate on who is dumber for being there the geese or the hunters! Quite frankly I think it's a toss-up.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34