Ground up restoration

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes many ford owners would give their left nut for a Cummins powered Ford, it's about time ford got rid of that Northstar garbage and went in house with their new motor. Night and day differents in the overall engineering

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had a 1999 Ford F350 Powerstroke, when I got rid of it. It had 357000 miles on it. The only thing I replaced was the glow plug controller ( 4 or 5 ), Alternator and a Lots of brakes and tires. I had Visto's in West Fargo put a 100 HP chip in it. It took the speed limiter out of it. It would really roll down the road then. I didnt pull very much with it. Maybe 25000 miles is all it pulled and was babied. The lst few months that I had it I would get water in the fuel alarm. I would dump the fuel and fill it back up and away I would go.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a 1999 Ford F350 Powerstroke, when I got rid of it. It had 357000 miles on it. The only thing I replaced was the glow plug controller ( 4 or 5 ), Alternator and a Lots of brakes and tires. I had Visto's in West Fargo put a 100 HP chip in it. It took the speed limiter out of it. It would really roll down the road then. I didnt pull very much with it. Maybe 25000 miles is all it pulled and was babied. The lst few months that I had it I would get water in the fuel alarm. I would dump the fuel and fill it back up and away I would go.
So with what you know and you needed a new diesel, would shell out 2024 dollars to buy another 1999. Of course you would get all the bell and whistle if you so desired.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So with what you know and you needed a new diesel, would shell out 2024 dollars to buy another 1999. Of course you would get all the bell and whistle if you so desired.
I would never spend that kind of money. The driver seat didnt even have a tear in it. And I never had seat covers on it. Thats how much it was babied.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hypothetical I would have the 6 wheel drive powerstroke. With a Platinum package.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looked at a new F250 recently, it was $88k for the XLT package. Instead, I picked up a 2.5 yr old truck with 33k on it for about $35k off the price of a new one.

Can I expect it to go to 300,000 before I have to replace the engine or transmission? I don't know that I would bet on that, but everyone really seems to like the newer 6.7 power stroke. I have a buddy who has a Dodge with over 300k on it, the engine is still running great, but I don't know what he's had to put into the engine to keep it going. But if memory serves, I am pretty sure he's on a second transmission.
Engines are solid rest of Dodge not so much.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looked at a new F250 recently, it was $88k for the XLT package. Instead, I picked up a 2.5 yr old truck with 33k on it for about $35k off the price of a new one.

Can I expect it to go to 300,000 before I have to replace the engine or transmission? I don't know that I would bet on that, but everyone really seems to like the newer 6.7 power stroke. I have a buddy who has a Dodge with over 300k on it, the engine is still running great, but I don't know what he's had to put into the engine to keep it going. But if memory serves, I am pretty sure he's on a second transmission.
You got lucky on that buy. Now days it is up to 8 years old you get all your money back

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Engines are solid rest of Dodge not so much.
Yes I wonder if Cummins will pull out from dodge now because of the 2 billion ding they got from epa. I haven't heard the story as to why they were messing with the emissions guidelines set by the epa. Was it because Cummins couldn't pass the epa requirements or was it all dodge stellantis doing.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lmao that Cummins is the best engine ever designed for a 3/4 ton
Had a 93 or 94 Dodge on the ranch. It was gutless for take-off and and rode like a lumber wagon. But that darn Cummins could pull a plow and just kept running up the miles.
Have had many Ford's and Chevy's all were diesels.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84