ANuS Inspections

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Curious what other people are encountering around the state as well as thoughts on Aquatic Nuisance Species inspections.

The NDGF clipboard brigade has been out in force around the east end of Sak the past month. I fully support spending, public education and even inspection. However, it is upsetting to feel harassed every time I'm at the ramp while watercraft are pulled back and forth across state lines and continental divides by non-residents and residents without any inspection.

They have non-LEO interns doing "voluntary" Aquatic Nuisance Species inspections. I've been approached before launching, after landing, multiple trips in a row at the same ramp, etc. I played along nicely on the first one because it's important and I appreciate much of what the department does, but after being approached at least 8 times in the past month it feels more like harassment and it's getting difficult to be polite, especially when the individual doesn't understand the concept of "no thank you, have a nice day."

I simply don't believe they are doing the most important thing which would be starting at our borders. Canada and Montana both do it.

Rather, they are harassing residents, many of whom never leave the Missouri River system with their watercraft.

The department or the corps also spent money on a sign at the top of the government bay ramp that is motion activated to shout at you about ANuS as soon as you approach. It's particularly jarring and obnoxious on a peaceful calm morning. The sign states that video inspection is in progress and violators will be reported.

The public education part is huge in combatting ANuS, which is why it's also upsetting that NDGF decided to give up the FREE hour long segment afforded to them every Wednesday on KFYR radio. They could have talked about ANuS for an hour every week at no cost but quit doing it because the KFYR Kafe host Daryl Lies pressed them on questionable or idiotic CWD policies.

Again, I'm interested if the clipboard brigade has been out elsewhere in the state and how people feel about current efforts and policies to prevent the spread of ANuS.

I appreciate the NDGF but I feel this is another instance where their efforts and spending are misguided, and I'm not interested in an interview every time I launch or land a boat in my home state.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was at Fort Stevenson all last week and never seen a ANS checker or a warden.

Was checked last year there and told the guy that the only water the boats been in is Sakakawea.

He didn't give 2 shits that I told him that and checked the boat anyhow.

IFishND

Clipboard brigade was in parshall area. Happened to know who the worker was. Does no good to be rude to anybody working the ramps. They are just following orders.

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
This mindset by the NDGF is similar to the Fed. gov. not checking people coming across the US borders, especially the Sothern border for criminals and terrorists. They use metal detectors everywhere and harass law abiding long term residents while letting millions flood our borders with many diseases and criminal records. If the NDGF would have had check points from the beginning for all out of state boats entering the state it would solved the problem and we would not have to be harassed constantly. Now ANuS is here in the state because of mismanagement.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The boy and I were using live bait at the Blocks a few years ago and confronted by a "clipboard chick" gathering information about otters. She looked about 14. I gave honest opinions about otters.

She then presented me a page of various animals to ID: In rapid fire I mis-ID'd everything with mostly African equivalents: Except...The Otter. I'm pretty damn sure I I'd a deer as a fucking giraffe.

Poor girl was stunned: Really; like I had to tap her shoulder: I told her to report to her professor the need to "dumb up" the questionnaire.

That is all.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
you would think they would be in dvl with all the mn and Wisconsin boats here.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's all just BS to justify increased spending and their bloated budgets. Non of this shit is going to stop ANS from spreading. It's all about the money and justifying their jobs. Feel good liberal BS money grabbers. Life goes on.....
I agree 100% they need to justify the extra cash they are sucking off us, and can now say they have feet on the ground. Even though the long hair checked my boat, that lives at Sakakawea, and let the blue plater drive right by one day. ...rofl... It's science, a lot like their bullshit CWD science. At least the old guy from hazen area that is doing checks seemed to have some common sense, when i said i was checked yesterday and the boat lives out here he said good enough.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Govt loves power and ANS is an excuse to accrue more power. Once they start with a new program, getting them to give it up is like pulling teeth... ANS is a thing, prevention at best just slows the spread a bit, just an excuse to waste more public funds IMO.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been checked twice this year in different places. Both volunteers, an older guy from a wildlife club and a kid from NDSU. I’d rather see checkpoints along the major travel routes as well but that probably would require an increased budget. I recall seeing pics of some infested boats they’ve stopped in the past so it’s not all bad. But, this just wouldn’t be NDA if nobody spun how a simple livewell check is akin to liberals lining their pockets and sneaking immigrants across the border.

Also, you want a lib in conservative clothing look no further than Daryl Lies. Loves big government and big Ag but does a great job sounding like he’s one of us.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
We walk our dogs each morning stopping by Fox Island boat launch to let them swim, have see a guy checking / visiting boaters a few times. So far he hasn't checked our dogs!

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was putting my boat in at Deepwater Bay a couple weeks ago. I drive up to unload and there is 2 boats in line untarping and loading their fishing shit. The clipboard dude is inspecting also. The older guy in front waves me by to unload. So I pull by and ready to back down and clipboard dude runs over to inspect. I asked him if this was mandatory or voluntary inspection. He says voluntary. I said No Thanks, You guys are blocking up the boat ramp. there is only one hole for unloading and loading. Do a better job of planning for inspections.
Typical of NDGF, day late and a dollar short!!

Fish On!

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They've been out checking on Twin this year as well.

These were actual game wardens though.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When is G&F gonna get their shit together and raise the price(even $50- $100) for non resident fishing licenses ? Their still going to buy regardless and ND should be taking advantage of it for ramp enhancement or whatever. Springtime, they are here in droves because their season is not open yet. Their slot limits cuts into their takes home limits, so they come here and mop up regardless of the size of fish big or small.
Most bodies of water around are saturated with out of state plates. We are a minority in our own state. :mad:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was at Fort Stevenson all last week and never seen a ANS checker or a warden.

Was checked last year there and told the guy that the only water the boats been in is Sakakawea.

He didn't give 2 shits that I told him that and checked the boat anyhow.
That's odd. He checked us. Same young (caterpillar mustache) guy checked us on Audubon too.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
When is G&F gonna get their shit together and raise the price(even $50- $100) for non resident fishing licenses ? Their still going to buy regardless and ND should be taking advantage of it for ramp enhancement or whatever. Springtime, they are here in droves because their season is not open yet. Their slot limits cuts into their takes home limits, so they come here and mop up regardless of the size of fish big or small.
Most bodies of water around are saturated with out of state plates. We are a minority in our own state. :mad:
I vote for $500

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
...is why it's also upsetting that NDGF decided to give up the FREE hour long segment afforded to them every Wednesday on KFYR radio. They could have talked about ANuS for an hour every week at no cost but quit doing it because the KFYR Kafe host Daryl Lies pressed them on questionable or idiotic CWD policies.
I agreed with pressuring them on this issue. Needed to be done (because they were wrong). But Daryl pushed them off the air by being a rude asshole and not having a cordial enough conversation. Now he lambasts them every chance he gets. It was only a matter of time. You could hear the disdain in his voice during every interview. I think the verdict is still out on having one of the states largest Ag lobbyist become a radio host.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just made a trip to MT (from ND) and I had to:
1. Pay an extra $7.50 for my fishing license for AIS Prevention pass.
2. Buy a $30 AIS Boat pass.
3. Stop at a watercraft inspection site on my way into the state somewhere. This was free but you had to make sure you found one on your route and that was open when you were passing through. They tagged our boat in case we were checked.
4. Clipboard lady asked us at the ramp if we had our pass 1 of the 2 days we launched.

So 1 and 2 appear to be taxes to fund their workers for 3 and 4. I think 3 is probably the way to go to "slow" the spread. I think prevention is impossible. We asked them if we had to do anything else after 3 and they said "nope, you're here and clean so you are good to go".

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84