Headlamps

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Choices? I watched alot of the Iditarod sled dog race this year and a lot of the mushers were wearing Lupine head gear...they do need long lasting batteries between check points if and when check points have power.
My guess is since they are professional sled dog racers is that Lupine is a good product for long usage. what do u use @JayKay or @FlyCarpin what do u use? im talking less usage then a all nite musher would need?
Biking ?Camping? Fishing?

Last edited:

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is some great info on that forum. FWIW, I use Fenix for my headlamp and my pocket/handheld during home inspections and they blow my mind everytime i use them. I thought surefire was good back in the day, but IMO they are complete junk compared to Fenix. Been using both of mine for almost four years now and have no issues with the rechargeable battery.

bilbo

Honored Member
I have a black diamond headlamp I use for running, hunting, camping, etc. that I bought 5 years or so ago. I don't remember the model but I'm guessing it's discontinued anyway. I remember looking specifically for one that used alkaline batteries because it's easier for me to carry an extra set than figure out recharging when I'm camping. It also has this neat feature where you're supposed to tap the side to switch between your setting and full brightness. In reality I'm sure it makes me look like a head case when I'm smacking away at it trying to get it to switch. That's ok though, I like to be left alone and nobody want's to talk to the head case.

For biking I have a few Niterider lights that mount to the bars. There are lots of brands that all accomplish the same thing. I prefer the light on the bars for that activity over the headlamp. I don't have any defense for that, just my personal preference.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just this last winter started wearing one while ice fishing, so much easier than the hand held flash light, or big lantern.
I liked it so much I bought the same one for the boy. Not sure what brand, but it was around $60.00

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fenix.

I've had a pile of them over the years. Of course, the one that doesn't have dead batteries is the only one you need, but my current favorite is Fenix.

They had/have them at Scheels in Bismarck at times, or you can go on their site for the same prices. Pre-Christmas, Scheels ran a 20% (I think) sale a couple of times, and they were a good deal at that price.

Fenix HM65R Headlamp - Fenix (fenix-store.com)

Keep in mind that the Lumen Rating is a total of all the lights on the unit. In this case, the main light is up to 1000 lumens, and the flood-light is up to 400, for a total of 1400.

Lumens, can be kind of a junk rating, like "Watts of power on a car stereo", but it sort of lets you compare one light to another.

This light is MORE THAN sufficient, and includes a 18650 rechargeable battery, that can be charged through the supplied USB-micro cord, plugged into any old USB port in a vehicle, cube, computer, etc.

A full night of fishing, using the light on high a lot, and I need to recharge. But I've never ran out of light, and on high, it's amazing.

On the rare occasion that I catch a walleye, I can see their eyes a long way away.

Someone above mentioned the Black Diamond above, and I have one of those too. I liked it a lot, and the tap-on-the-side feature worked well (I think you can't have gloves on though), but this Fenix is head-and-shoulders above.

I do carry an extra battery for it, just in case, but have never needed it yet.

My two-cents....

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fenix.

I've had a pile of them over the years. Of course, the one that doesn't have dead batteries is the only one you need, but my current favorite is Fenix.

They had/have them at Scheels in Bismarck at times, or you can go on their site for the same prices. Pre-Christmas, Scheels ran a 20% (I think) sale a couple of times, and they were a good deal at that price.

Fenix HM65R Headlamp - Fenix (fenix-store.com)

Keep in mind that the Lumen Rating is a total of all the lights on the unit. In this case, the main light is up to 1000 lumens, and the flood-light is up to 400, for a total of 1400.

Lumens, can be kind of a junk rating, like "Watts of power on a car stereo", but it sort of lets you compare one light to another.

This light is MORE THAN sufficient, and includes a 18650 rechargeable battery, that can be charged through the supplied USB-micro cord, plugged into any old USB port in a vehicle, cube, computer, etc.

A full night of fishing, using the light on high a lot, and I need to recharge. But I've never ran out of light, and on high, it's amazing.

On the rare occasion that I catch a walleye, I can see their eyes a long way away.

Someone above mentioned the Black Diamond above, and I have one of those too. I liked it a lot, and the tap-on-the-side feature worked well (I think you can't have gloves on though), but this Fenix is head-and-shoulders above.

I do carry an extra battery for it, just in case, but have never needed it yet.

My two-cents....

What this guy said. I used to run a Black Diamond ReVolt, but the Fenix is superior in those times you need A LOT of light. Whatever you get, the USB recharge feature is the bee's knees

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
exactly - get the USB recharge

The older a guy is, the more sensitive you are apt to be about using battery powered devices. Because we spent decades buying batteries, accidentally leaving devices on, etc. So we're naturally reticent to use battery powered devices unless they're really needed "because batteries are expensive". Ha ha. Also a PITA to buy, replace, yadda.

It took me a while to get it into my thick skull in recent months to wear a headlamp when working on mowers, motors, boat, etc.... where I usually have used trouble lights or similar fixed or corded lights - which all suck.

Now that I have a Fenix with USB recharge I couldn't care less about leaving it on, etc. and I can see exactly where I'm looking.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
there will now be less “bonding time” between kids and their dads

”holding that ####ing light where I need it!!!”

sad :)

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your dentist will thank you for not having to hold a little metal covered flashlight in your teeth as well.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
exactly - get the USB recharge

The older a guy is, the more sensitive you are apt to be about using battery powered devices. Because we spent decades buying batteries, accidentally leaving devices on, etc. So we're naturally reticent to use battery powered devices unless they're really needed "because batteries are expensive". Ha ha. Also a PITA to buy, replace, yadda.

It took me a while to get it into my thick skull in recent months to wear a headlamp when working on mowers, motors, boat, etc.... where I usually have used trouble lights or similar fixed or corded lights - which all suck.

Now that I have a Fenix with USB recharge I couldn't care less about leaving it on, etc. and I can see exactly where I'm looking.

They also help immensely when cleaning fish, loading junk into a truckbed under a tonneau cover, or working under a car hood. I had to replace some bifold closet door hardware recently, and don't have a light in this closet. Well, with the door closed, there warn't much light in there. So, they work great there too.

Guy, which Fenix did you purchase?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
They also help immensely when cleaning fish, loading junk into a truckbed under a tonneau cover, or working under a car hood. I had to replace some bifold closet door hardware recently, and don't have a light in this closet. Well, with the door closed, there warn't much light in there. So, they work great there too.

Guy, which Fenix did you purchase?

the Fenix HM65R

some internet shorefishing hotshot said they were the cat's meow

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
the Fenix HM65R

some internet shorefishing hotshot said they were the cat's meow

Great choice Sir. Might I suggest the following accessories? Great reviews on everything...

ARE-X11_Kit_FS__32370.1525707612.jpg

Fenix_APB20__79664.1537974811.jpg

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think im suffering from IHLS. 100 bucks for a headlamp is a hard pill to swallow for some reason.

- - - Updated - - -

thats "Insufficient Head Lamp Syndrome" for those not in the medical field

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think im suffering from IHLS. 100 bucks for a headlamp is a hard pill to swallow for some reason.

- - - Updated - - -

thats "Insufficient Head Lamp Syndrome" for those not in the medical field

Here's one approach. Get married. Have some kids. Then get stuff like this for Fathers Day!

It pencils out to around $28,000 for a headlamp like this one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33