Hot Air Fryers

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
So it sounds like size is more important than brand, am I reading into this right? Been looking into one. Just the wife and I at home so seems a bit redundant to heat up the oven for 2 chicken breasts at times.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought an Instant Vortex air fryer to cook link sausage, it titty sprinkling awesome. I cant believe I didn't know about these sooner. No more boiling the sausages before cooking and its super fast as well.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
by the way I never filter the oil or store it other than let it sit there in the fryer with the lid on. I top it off with new when it drops below the full line. To my surprise flies don't have any attraction to it. I also drain my frying pan grease into it (from indoor frying of chicken, etc.)

About four times a year I heat it up, stir the black gunk up off the bottom, dump the oil in a hole in the ground (in a shady place), wipe it out quick with a paper towel, and then refill with new vegetable oil (cheapest I can find)

I was leery about this model but now I love it
cache.php

the heater element drops into the grease for direct heating of grease, along with the basket.

When it comes time to deal with old grease I heat it up, remove basket and heating element (you can just see it dropping into oil at bottom of controls), then all you have left is a pan with grease.

I stir that up and then just carry that outside wearing gloves to deal with it (after it's cooled to non-lethal temps) - everything else involved with the unit just stays in the porch on newspaper or whatever. Later I bring the "cleaned" pan back in, drop it into cooker body, then drop the basket and heater element back in, fill er up with oil - done

- - - Updated - - -

cache.php

- - - Updated - - -

this pic is not the actual model but it does show the exploded view

Well, I'll be darned. I reuse the oil too, but don't let it sit right in the cooker. After it cools, I dump it back into the jug, then keep 'er in the garage or basement.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought an Instant Vortex air fryer to cook link sausage, it titty sprinkling awesome. I cant believe I didn't know about these sooner. No more boiling the sausages before cooking and its super fast as well.

We have the same one. My wife and I both work long days so having an air fryer and and instant pot are life savers.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I posted this on the other air fryer thread, but the process for fish that I have found to be the best:

Preheat air fryer to 400F

1.) dry fish chunks rolled in preferred shore lunch mix
2.) dipped in egg wash
3.) rolled in shore lunch again
4.) spray air fryer basket with avocado oil
5.) generously spray all surface area of breaded fish chunks with avocado oil (they should look wet)
6.) put in 400F air fryer and cook for 9 minutes total, flip at the 4 minute mark

This gave me a result real close to deep frying. I placed the air fryer right under the range hood so it didn't stink up the house. I have no idea how much healthier this is than deep frying with peanut oil, however it kept oil use to bare minimum and didn't stink up the house.

tumblr_pauaj1J5WX1tc8ziao1_500.jpg

Personally, Ill probably continue to use and tweak this method when only cooking for 1-2 people.

Any larger gathering and the traditional deep fry on the propane cooker will be used.

The wife bought one and I wouldn't ever try to put anything battered in it. Unless, you do it like this guy does it, which IMO is more work than it's worth. I just pan fry my fish in greeze and a little butter. We used to use a deep fat fryer to make fries and Onion rings, now we use the air fryer in the summer. I'd just rather use the oven in the winter months. Ours doesn't even come close to deep fried IMO!!! It's not bad just as good as the oven on a cookie sheet, but quicker. Not worth the room on my limited counter space.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I'll be darned. I reuse the oil too, but don't let it sit right in the cooker. After it cools, I dump it back into the jug, then keep 'er in the garage or basement.

I used to go through the same ritual. Then years ago I "gambled" an entire $5 worth of soybean (vegetable) oil on doing the test of whether or not it would go rancid sitting on the fryer out in a south-facing uninsulated porch

I discovered it simply doesn't - and I'm a guy who is a "rancid nazi"... anything that even hints of being oxidized/rancid gets tossed

I never let people see my fryer - it's GNARLY - never been cleaned other than swapping out grease every couple-three months

Sam Squamptch

The "Air Fryer" does a really good job on fries, tots, onion rings, cheese stix, breaded mushrooms, ect. Mine has a rotisserie built into it and I tell ya, it works fantastic for a whole chicken, kakbobs, and brats. I have made Fajita's and ribs in it as well. It will NOT however fry battered fish like a deep fryer. I really like mine alot and use it quite a bit in the winter. But you can't replace your deep fat fryer with it. P.S. I also made Beef Jerkey in my air fryer as well, also turned out pretty good!

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
we got one this fall, and we use it all the time, shrimp, chicken, potatoes, it reheats anything quick and easy, anything frozen with breading it does a great job. even raw chicken breasts and drummies does great. I would recommend getting as big of one as you can, when things are spaced it seems to cook better.

ours looks like this, not sure of the brand

shopping22.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 17