How light is too light for a rifle?

Huskerdu

Established Member
Not to get off of topic , the hardest kicking gun gun I own is a 50cal savage muzzle loader ,smokeless , 7.5 -8 pound gun under a 30 cal should be ok for a 140 lb person and ok to carry

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Tikka 300mag. Limb saver on it shoot all day it's a hell of a lot less recoil then a shotgun. #notaroadyneedlightgun

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy shit u ain't kidding. I had that gun. Key word being had.

That being said, I absolutely love what it does to a deer. I haven't had a shot deer take more than a couple steps since I got it. 3 or 4 years ago, it picked a doe up off her hooves like a peterbuilt hit her.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would highly recommend a .243. A Browning BLR in .243 is a great gun for him. Make sure it has a good recoil pad and your golden. If he can't shoot that he can't shoot anything.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I regret my tikka 300 wsm, I dread sighting it in. Shooting it deer hunting isn't bad.

I love my tikka 22-250 though. Great gun
I use my Lead Sled at the range. I don't even notice the recoil in the field probably due to several layers of clothing.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Tikka 300mag. Limb saver on it shoot all day it's a hell of a lot less recoil then a shotgun. #notaroadyneedlightgun

You are one tough dude. I would love to sit and watch you shoot 100 rounds through that in a day.

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had HS precision build me a 7.5# .338 Lapua with a muzzle brake that’s vented slightly reward. Thought it’d be a great long range elk/mountain setup. Fun to shoot a few times off a bench, usually lose my sunglasses and hat, I’ve learned that little rubber ring on a scope is quite valuable. It’s not a sharp recoil, but one hell of a push, if that makes sence... The gun shoots better than I can, hated sighting it though. 300 grains @ 2750 FPS, after this season, I could write a book on why not to use match ammo to harvest game. No lost animals, but we made things more challenging for ourselves than need be!

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use my Lead Sled at the range. I don't even notice the recoil in the field probably due to several layers of clothing.

Yeah, I'm not so worried about the kick during hunting. It's the shooting at the range to get use to the gun that I'm worried about. I would like my kids to shoot a lot this summer like they usually do with my current 6mm.

I think that after reading some comments about the Tikka .270s, I will buy a heavier gun. Probably the Weatherby Vanguard. They appear to be really good guns. They are about 7.5 pounds, the same weight at my current gun which my kids have no problem handling in the field.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot the .308 with 130gr TTSX's at 3200fps in a fairly light rifle with no issues. It's an absolute killer.

Lycanthrope.....have you hunted with the 110's? Something I've thought about but the 130 load I have is soooo hard to move away from.
Yup, Ive shot a couple deer with the 110s out of my heavy savage, rifle barely moves when you pull the trigger. They take off somewhere around 3600fps if I remember right, using TAC... Not the bullet Id choose for 600+ yard shots, but out to 400ish it works great.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had HS precision build me a 7.5# .338 Lapua with a muzzle brake that’s vented slightly reward. Thought it’d be a great long range elk/mountain setup. Fun to shoot a few times off a bench, usually lose my sunglasses and hat, I’ve learned that little rubber ring on a scope is quite valuable. It’s not a sharp recoil, but one hell of a push, if that makes sence... The gun shoots better than I can, hated sighting it though. 300 grains @ 2750 FPS, after this season, I could write a book on why not to use match ammo to harvest game. No lost animals, but we made things more challenging for ourselves than need be!

That makes my head hurt. Shot next to a gun that had a break that would peel every one's hat back on the line it was brutal

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought my son t3 in 270 wsm. He was 14 at that time, 140lbs. Put a heavy Nikon monarch 5 x 20 scope on it. That really took the kick off of that thing plus a limb saver pad. It really does not kick anymore than my savage 270 With a smaller 3 x 9 scope after we did those two things. Easy to tote around on the shoulder too. Like DM says, that caliber is a deer killer

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my 300 win mag.

That big bad magic covers up my crappy marksmanship.

It is also ported - I don’t shoot with anyone but a sherpa next to me. They are built to handle the punishment.

- - - Updated - - -

also - I would still hunt with that gun even if it weighed a pound. I never feel a field shot and don't shoot it for kicks at the range.

Kicks... hee hee.

Last edited:

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another reason I wanted to trade off the Tikka 270 WSM was simply because of the price of ammo. I enjoy shooting, and with that gun it gets extremely expensive very quick. I'm happy I made the switch, but I'd buy a Tikka again, just in a smaller caliber.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have ultralight rifles. They are extremely lightweight and shoot great. The kick isn’t a worry whatsoever. It’s all about the stock design. You can’t take away recoil but you can distribute it better with certain stock designs. I like the lightweight because I never have to shoulder the gun nor store the gun in my pack.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those calibers in a light gun are not gonna be enjoyable for your kids to
shoot. Way to much gun for youngens to get broke in on. IMO

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I'm not so worried about the kick during hunting. It's the shooting at the range to get use to the gun that I'm worried about. I would like my kids to shoot a lot this summer like they usually do with my current 6mm.

I think that after reading some comments about the Tikka .270s, I will buy a heavier gun. Probably the Weatherby Vanguard. They appear to be really good guns. They are about 7.5 pounds, the same weight at my current gun which my kids have no problem handling in the field.

Don't overlook the HOWA 1500. They make the vanguard for Weatherby. I own one, and enjoy it. They have come out with a lot more options in recent years too.

https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33