How many of you would still bowhunt if you could not bait?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many would still bow hunt if you only could use long bows, no range finders, etc...? Sure as hell would be cheaper!
I would. That's the way I started bow hunting and shot my first deer in 1960. I still hunt with a longbow some days. I like it all, compound, longbow, primitive muzzleloader, tactical rifle. One year when I injured my shoulder I tried to talk the Game and Fish into a permit for a spear. No dice. I don't know why they wouldn't allow that.

Well actually I paid $4 for a solid fiberglass recurve that I shot that first deer with.

Last edited:

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How many would still bow hunt if you only could use long bows, no range finders, etc...? Sure as hell would be cheaper!

I would for sure. I've came very close to buying into a traditional setup more than a few times. But something else that requires american dollars always comes up as more important.
Might be hard to manage, but I think it would be awesome if there were a few more archery only areas around the state or areas restricted to traditional archery equipment. Likes pieces of refuges that already have restricted rifle access.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread makes me laugh..........A LOT!!!! Seems a good number on NDA don't realize that a fair segment of archers on here were bowhunting YEARS before trail cams, releases, peep sights, movable pins, ozone makers, bug machines, ground blinds, lighted nocks, bait piles, digital camo patterns, food plots, and any number of gizmos or techniques became all the rage. I suspect it'd be you younger fellas that would have the problems going without these so called "Necessities". It might throw a good number into a tizzy having to "Re-learn" how to shoot. I figure MOST of us older fellas that built our stands from wood and nails, wore military surplus camo or plaid, piled brush together for a ground blind, and used finger tabs could and would "Do it like in the old days" again!!! Not bashing you younger guys, as for me it was just the opposite. I had to "Re-Learn" how to hunt when I turned in my finger tabs and single pin for a release and peep sight. I figure real archers will adapt to whatever they need to enjoy the sport we love. Everything would work out just fine.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM with the ultimate perspective and words of wisdom, as always.

I'm only 31. Not an old guy by any means but I've tried to simplify my hunting as much as I can anyway. Didn't bother with trail cameras this year. I know what quality of bucks are out there already. When I'm in the stand, they only need to get but the pass/fail eye test anyway. I have no reason to bait. I know where there feeding, bedding and how they move already. Why try to make them change? But this is just how I do it. Hunt however the hell you want within the confines of the law and keep your judgemental ass off the others guy back if he wants to do it a different way. Just because you're a traditionalist doesn't make you more ethical. Native plains Indians didn't bother with their bows if they didn't have to, they ran the herds off the side of a cliff. Inuit tribes herded the caribou into lakes and then chased them down with canoes to slit their throats. Is this sporting by traditionalist standards? Probably not but that's tradition so old it's ancient history.
So many of us need to get the hell over ourselves and have some perspective.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You started 2 troll like threads about these topics. I read between the lines.

Lol I have nothing to hide, between the lines or otherwise. 2 threads with real conversation starters. Never once in either of these threads have I implied that the system sucks or that baiting in unethical. Its just too bad that there can't be real conversation about things without folks getting pissed off about it. Its an internet conversation, its not going to change how you live your life, and if it does, then there is no hope for you.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
You forgot to mention that he would like more areas that rifle hunters are not allowed.

(few more archery only areas around the state)

So lungdeflator is from The people's republic of Minnesota, wants a one tag system, and is against baiting...........go back to Minnesota bra.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see the seasons are changing on Nodak again lol. They are as follows here lungdeflator...boat ramp etiquette, dam sparkle boats, you unethical deer baiters, and coming soon ice pirates!! Enjoy, I know we all do

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
C'mon Hookin8easy, you know as well as I that road hunting, Slob Hunters, and Posted Land which come WAY before Ice Pirates.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
C'mon Hookin8easy, you know as well as I that road hunting, Slob Hunters, and Posted Land which come WAY before Ice Pirates.
Ok ok, ya got me. Wait til the blue plater hunting thread start, he outta love that haha

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I figure MOST of us older fellas that built our stands from wood and nails, wore military surplus camo or plaid, piled brush together for a ground blind, and used finger tabs could and would "Do it like in the old days" again!!!
You forgot tie dye. It's the only good things the hippies taught us. I bough tan pants tied them in as many knots as possible and dropped them into a pot of brown die. Not bad for home made camo. :;:cheers

I was happy when they came out with those tabs that had the chunk of rubber between the fingers to stop the finger pinch.

Mizzou21

I do bait, and yes I would still bowhunt if baiting were illegal. Hell, its one of the only peaceful times when its totally quiet in my world, my boss isn't asking me why my sales aren't better, not to worried about what bills are due, etc. Freakin awesome!! Baiting or not, there is not much in the world that can replicate what your heart rate and breathing pattern will do when you hear that leaf crush or branch snap behind you, and you are praying that it is the one you have been waiting on! 99 times out of 100 it is a dam squirrel or something else, but that moment of excitement is like no other. And that my friends is why i bowhunt! Good luck to all this season, and be safe.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a bait pile on the private property I hunt. The last 2 years I have spent a grand total of 1 night sitting over that bait. The other 30 times I was out I was hunting public. I get a kick out of shooting mature deer off of public land that everyone else likes to drive by cause they think it is over hunted. I just started running cameras last year bit could just as easily go back to driving to the area I hunt and scout every night.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well I am to old not to take the easy way. db

(the harvest of a big deer is great but it does not happen very often and for me once I got a buck 2 inches below the 170 net with my bow, maybe this year. But the real joy is planning, planting, watching and being able to see deer along with all the other stuff one never knew was out there, so the food plot, trail camera (as I do not know every deer in my spots) and bait is there just not only for the reason of harvesting a deer). I have no interest in going back to putting a piece of cloth over my privates, stalking in the bug full bush and having no success in even seeing a deer. I am just not that kind, time or skill hunter for that.

I probably bring a bow with me 15-20% of the time I go to my stands to sit, if that. But a camera always comes along. Yes 5 bucks in 20 years with the bow. There was a time when the kill was everything, there was a time when I was young, now and then I have a 160 class buck and hope for next year when they will be 170, it just does not work out very well. But the visit I have had with the deer are priceless, I want to visit with that same deer next year and my memory bank if full of those visits.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31