I need a new vacuum sealer.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an industrial Cabela's. After 12 or so years, it died on me. I made up a bunch of sausage this weekend and picked up a Professional Series from Menards. So far I like it. I sealed 100+ bags with it and no issues.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Year or so ago I spent a little extra and got one from Scheels, cant remember if it was a Vac Master or LEM, anyways it works fine but it is bulky and for the extra money over a food saver I'm not that impressed. I feel like my old Food Saver did a better job before, this winter I added a chamber sealer from Vevor for $380 shipped to my door.

Big C

Sounds like lots of us are looking, or at least kicking around the idea of an upgrade. I have always had a regular vacuum type sealer and have never been overly impressed. It seemed like the bags often lost their seal in the freezer, mostly from small holes being rubbed through the bag but sometimes the actual seal seemed to leak even when double sealed. I have had a couple of opportunities over the last few years to have fish and game meat sealed with a chamber sealer and not one of those bags lost the seal.

Was this due to operator error on my behalf that the older ones failed? Poor quality bags (I tried a few types)? Or is there something different with the chamber vac bags? Or just dumb luck?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like lots of us are looking, or at least kicking around the idea of an upgrade. I have always had a regular vacuum type sealer and have never been overly impressed. It seemed like the bags often lost their seal in the freezer, mostly from small holes being rubbed through the bag but sometimes the actual seal seemed to leak even when double sealed. I have had a couple of opportunities over the last few years to have fish and game meat sealed with a chamber sealer and not one of those bags lost the seal.

Was this due to operator error on my behalf that the older ones failed? Poor quality bags (I tried a few types)? Or is there something different with the chamber vac bags? Or just dumb luck?
you gotta be careful with stuff thats vac sealed, if you toss the stuff around when frozen, there are often sharper edges and hitting something hard against it will damage the plastic and allow air to enter. Not sure if chamber vacs use a harder or more durable plastic or not...

Big C

you gotta be careful with stuff thats vac sealed, if you toss the stuff around when frozen, there are often sharper edges and hitting something hard against it will damage the plastic and allow air to enter. Not sure if chamber vacs use a harder or more durable plastic or not...
That is what surprised me about the chamber bags. I don't think I treated them differently, but maybe I am getting softer in my old age! I was just very impressed and have had batches from 4 different places and all worked flawlessly, so got me thinking maybe it was the bags?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is what surprised me about the chamber bags. I don't think I treated them differently, but maybe I am getting softer in my old age! I was just very impressed and have had batches from 4 different places and all worked flawlessly, so got me thinking maybe it was the bags?
My AI buddy researched this for you:

@grok
According to the information I have gathered, chamber vacuum sealer bags are generally more durable than standard vacuum sealer bags. This is because chamber vacuum sealer bags are thicker, typically 3-4 mils, while standard vacuum sealer bags are usually 2-3 mils thick. The added thickness provides better protection against punctures, tears, and leaks, making them more suitable for long-term storage and sous-vide cooking. Additionally, chamber vacuum sealer bags are designed to withstand the pressure and temperature changes in a chamber vacuum sealer, ensuring a more reliable seal and better overall performance.

Big C

My AI buddy researched this for you:

@grok
According to the information I have gathered, chamber vacuum sealer bags are generally more durable than standard vacuum sealer bags. This is because chamber vacuum sealer bags are thicker, typically 3-4 mils, while standard vacuum sealer bags are usually 2-3 mils thick. The added thickness provides better protection against punctures, tears, and leaks, making them more suitable for long-term storage and sous-vide cooking. Additionally, chamber vacuum sealer bags are designed to withstand the pressure and temperature changes in a chamber vacuum sealer, ensuring a more reliable seal and better overall performa
Thanks.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the chamber bags are dirt cheap - even for 4 mils. You can get zippered versions, etc. The only downside to chambers that I have found is when you want to vac something long like a whole salmon filet.

You rarely get "juice", grease or fat in the seal zone - so a chamber vac fuses the plastic flawlessly.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am lucking still have cabelas 15" professional working good maybe by time it dies I too will be looking into chamber vac which I have seen are really nice

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had that problem also with my foodsaver 2-3 mil rolls not holding up in the freezer, especially the heavier meats like roasts and pork chops with the bone in them, again googled foodsaver bags leak and came up with all kinds of answers. Now I buy nothing but the 4 mil rolls in various width off of Amazon, I personally can't justify paying more then a couple hundred for a foodsaver that gets used heavy a few times a year and a couple times during the month when I breakdown my family size pork chops and chicken legs for the month. Only downside of these is they do get hot if you push it more than 30 seconds between uses, and having to seal bags ends on the heavy use days. Luckily we have 2 foodsavers and it goes quick to seal the processed meat or fish fillets.
Also I read that flash freeze your fillets before you seal them keeps the juices from being sucked out same as meat trimmings for using later to make grindings for sausage. I do dig those chamber bags made specifically for link sausage though those are the cats ass.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does Dyson still make the "Ball" and does anyone's wife have experience with it?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get one wide enough for the big bags. Makes seating up prime rib muchos easier.

Believe mine is an LEM max vacation 1000

Last edited:

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
the chamber bags are dirt cheap - even for 4 mils. You can get zippered versions, etc. The only downside to chambers that I have found is when you want to vac something long like a whole salmon filet.

You rarely get "juice", grease or fat in the seal zone - so a chamber vac fuses the plastic flawlessly.
Where do you normally get your bags from. I have just made some from the rolls I got laying around for my regular vac sealer and they seem to work fine but should probably get the correct ones.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where do you normally get your bags from. I have just made some from the rolls I got laying around for my regular vac sealer and they seem to work fine but should probably get the correct ones.
https://vacuumsealersunlimited.com/product-category/commercial-chamber-vacuum-sealer-bags-pouches/

I bought a case each time after I decided which were good sizes (by ordering a variety pack or two early on).

That Prep Plate looks awesome - but pricey. Might need to McGyver one.

A case is a LOT of bags - ha ha. But the price is approaching zero so who cares - running out is never an issue.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Purchased a Lem Vac 250 at Runnings for $150. Sealed up a few things last night. Seems to suck more air out than my old one, sealed about exactly the same, but really sealed tight.

For the 15-20 times a year I use it, should be decent enough.

they had some of those fancy sonsabitches for $$$$ but was not feeling it.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Purchased a Lem Vac 250 at Runnings for $150. Sealed up a few things last night. Seems to suck more air out than my old one, sealed about exactly the same, but really sealed tight.

For the 15-20 times a year I use it, should be decent enough.

they had some of those fancy sonsabitches for $$$$ but was not feeling it.
1000005289.jpg

Max vac 250 like this? Got this one last year, it works fine, can't remember now what I paid at Scheels maybe it was the $150-175 range. I'm not a fan of the size but I can store things like marker and scissor in the top

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
1000005289.jpg

Max vac 250 like this? Got this one last year, it works fine, can't remember now what I paid at Scheels maybe it was the $150-175 range. I'm not a fan of the size but I can store things like marker and scissor in the top
LEM makes great products just watched a video on the maxvac 250 seems to be built better then the plastic 15 year old foodsaver i have now don't get me wrong my foodsaver has been great for how long it's lasted for me. I read up online about the one I bought and their was an overall view that it was built for the kind of vacuum sealing I was using.

Because when this thing shits the bed I will definitely be taking a better look at this Maxvac250 as well as other similar ones that hold the rolls for making my own sized bags. To me that's the fun part actually doing real investigating by reading reviews, video and forums all give you all the same thing about any products you want to buy and that is personal opinions based on real life experience.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88