I need expert advice

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went out to Alkali/Etta with tip-up we caught two Pike both 27". We had six or seven get away we would try to set hook early or late. First time I've fishing so I think I did OK. I will learn from my mistakes.

Glad you had some action. Not sure what type of a hook you were using but I like a treble hook. Size 4 hooke is big enough for those 4-6lb pike. Sharpen it with a file too, they are never sharp enough out of the box. Try to set the hook when the fish is pulling line out. Don't have to break their neck, just a quick jerk to get the slack out of the line and the hook "sets" while you apply constant pressure for the next 5 seconds or so. That's what I think, anywayyyyyyssssss.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wouldn't sharpen new hooks unless they are cheap ones. I set the hook as soon as I pull the line tight. Don't set the hook unless the line is tight. You can also try big jugs and minnows too but be prepared to use a metal leader or go through some jigs. You will get the hang of it the more times out.

Southren boy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was using three single hook setup I bought at Dakota Tackle. I thought I should use treble hook but I didn't

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a slight disagreement with MM and Sluggo. IMHO, set the hook immediately before the line gets completely tight. A tight line allows a spit out. Also, use quality hooks such as Mustad or Owner. They're scary sharp out of the box. It's easier to replace than sharpen; getting a hook back in shape is often a futile exercise in expediency vs result IME.

IMHO, if a hook can't return to duty with a few swipes of an emory board; it's trash.

LMB but same concept. Ejection speed is astounding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1OGupidFFU

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 84
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 41