I need the best landing net for fishing alone (from a boat)

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get something sturdy and lightweight with a handle easily wielded with one arm. The mesh should be durable and impervious to weather. It should have an outdoorsy green or cranberry finish and maintain superior, transportable stow-ability. The handle should be rigid yet flexible enough to expeditiously return to a straight configuration and easily painted to restore original appearance if desired.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
But I haven't given my 2 cents yet.

I will now keep it to myself.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, probably not optimal for cranks but I'd rather untangle a bit here/there vs tennis elbow tears the heavy old Stowmaster has been dishing out.

Ndakotaboy73

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd be interested in how the Yak net works out.

I've went through four nets in the last year after replacing my old Frabill. The EGO S2 is nice but a 50+ in Muskie will take it apart. Also watch out for the fact that the net is threaded so you can switch hoops or go to a gaff, boat hook etc. Nice concept but if it's not tight when landing fish it turns while trying to get positioned. I've now loctited mine so it won't happen anymore. The other challenge with this net is that it'si handle is thick since its wrapped in foam so it floats. Overall OK but I'm still shopping.

The Frabill conservation series feel pretty well built but the one I originally bought had the smaller 3/4" mesh. A decent (12+ lb) sized pike up on Devils pushed right through it leaving a good sized hole. We got her in but it was quite the event (insert monkey and football analogy here...).

I currently have two nets in the boat. A big Frabill stowable (similar to Stowmaster) in a front compartment for big fish and the EGO for anything under 15 lbs. I sure would like to go down to one but so far haven't found the solution.

Long story short - Keep us posted Guy!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
EEEEEEE.... I hardly slept a wink last night trying to think of the very best strap, bungee, RodBuckle, gunwale mount rod tiedowns, etc. to keep it from blowing out of the boat!

Christmas is coming early to guy's OCTD. Monday can't come soon enough so I can lay it all over the boat and revel in the splendor of options.

- - - Updated - - -

(obsessive compulsive tiedown disorder)

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
EEEEEEE.... I hardly slept a wink last night trying to think of the very best strap, bungee, RodBuckle, gunwale mount rod tiedowns, etc. to keep it from blowing out of the boat!

Christmas is coming early to guy's OCTD. Monday can't come soon enough so I can lay it all over the boat and revel in the splendor of options.

- - - Updated - - -

ill bring stella and come supervise

- - - Updated - - -

aka - play with royce in the backyard

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like it oughta be a team effort.

- - - Updated - - -

I think a net on the end of one of those power poles, with the power pole body mounted to a ball-head on the gunwale to allow for swingage, one on each side.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33