Ice Castle, Grey Wolf, Yetti or ????

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not sold on all aluminum. I feel like it cracks/ breaks easier than steel. Steel bends more. Most importantly, 1 out of 10 guys knows how to weld aluminum. It would suck to need some 911 welding down with aluminum.

- - - Updated - - -

Same goes for metal studs.

couleehunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_20170331-215649.jpg I have a 8x16 Trophy Hunter. I love it. Have had no problems since i bought 2 years ago. Easy to ice fish in and great for summer time camping. Friend has a grey wolf. Thats great to. Kinda like ford or chevy. Ya pick one and trash talk the other.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the aluminum cracking, etc... Ya mean like boats, airplanes, docks and airstream campers?

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i would think steel studs and spray foam insulation are the 2 things i would require... steel studs are lighter than a 2x4 and a good foam will make it float if you do go through even with a steel frame... I think I would also go double axle even if the length doesn't require it, it will add double the surface area on the ice spreading out the weight. the weight difference between a 17 and 20' ice castle was like 2k when i looked (if i recall right) and that included the 2nd axle so that 3 extra feet weight was nearly nothing and you get 2x the surface area. if i recall it was 6k to 8k weight. on the aluminum subject, I have heard stories about guys cracking frames going over pressure ridges (I don't know how big this pressure ridge was and that definitely plays a role). I did take a grey wolf and a ice castle out on sak last winter and we went 4.5mi out, both held up and it was a rough ride.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ended up buying an Ice Castle because it was what I could afford with the options I wanted. The frame seems to be built well but the interior and amenities are built cheap and you get what you pay for I suppose. It's not a bad unit just minor shit like door handles coming off or having to tighten hinges etc. I wish I would have went with an all aluminum and skipped some of the options I thought I needed. I might sell or trade it off for a different unit.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
i would think steel studs and spray foam insulation are the 2 things i would require... steel studs are lighter than a 2x4 and a good foam will make it float if you do go through even with a steel frame... I think I would also go double axle even if the length doesn't require it, it will add double the surface area on the ice spreading out the weight. the weight difference between a 17 and 20' ice castle was like 2k when i looked (if i recall right) and that included the 2nd axle so that 3 extra feet weight was nearly nothing and you get 2x the surface area. if i recall it was 6k to 8k weight. on the aluminum subject, I have heard stories about guys cracking frames going over pressure ridges (I don't know how big this pressure ridge was and that definitely plays a role). I did take a grey wolf and a ice castle out on sak last winter and we went 4.5mi out, both held up and it was a rough ride.

I talked it over with a buddy who’s in construction. We came to the conclusion that it wasn’t worth the hassle for what was gained. And it’s half the stud weight, not half the overall build weight. I know you know that but I think people get caught up in that.

FishinRN

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think people get caught up in weight of the house. Stuck is stuck couple hundred pounds isn't going to change the amount of shoveling required or total inches of ice required to support the setup enough to worry about. If I were to get another ice castle I would get the 8x20 or 8x21 dual axle hydraulic frame. I have zero complaints on how my 8x16 pulls but tandem would be nice. Added bonus is that little extra space allowed in the back for a lift bed and less wasted space over the wheel wells than the crank up style.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Imo weight isn't about getting stuck... weight is about being able to haul it with a wheeler or sxs when the ice won't support my 9,500# f250... or more realistic when you don't realize it and drive across a patch of sketchy ice... the lighter you are the less ice you need

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 6
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 4
  • This month: 3
  • This month: 2