Ice House Rust

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hello

My Ice Castle is starting to rust a bit on the frame. I spoke to a friend about it last night and he thought I should sand blast the rust off, hit it with some metal primer then put some sort of rhino lining on it. Have any of you done something like this?

Thank you
Jake

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did that to a grille guard two years ago that was peeling and rusting pretty bad. Used Rust Reformer and then spray on bedliner.

It's already showing signs of discoloration from the rust bleeding back through.

Rust sucks!

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are several topics about this over on hotspotoutdoors. Seems like a lot of people use POR 15. Not sure what it is or how to do it but I just know its always talked about in these kinds of topics there.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I noticed that when it was at the house. I would just sand it down and paint that rhino lining on it. Your wheels are rusting real bad to.

I thought about that POR 15 on the stainless steel and wheels. Some guys say its great other guys say its not.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Por 15 kinda sucks because it breaks down from UV, so if it isnt topcoated or covered it chalks out n peels in the sun. Best option is to sandblast, epoxy prime, then bedline it. I do sell other options, but if it sees rock chips n gravel that would be the best. Also remember its best to do all three steps in one day.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I noticed that when it was at the house. I would just sand it down and paint that rhino lining on it. Your wheels are rusting real bad to.

I thought about that POR 15 on the stainless steel and wheels. Some guys say its great other guys say its not.

GARTH! I was wondering when I'd see you on here! I owe you some money for storage by the way.

Jm1986

Founding Member
Founding Member
personally if it were me i would buy a good sanding wheel and sand it down, clean it with a really good degreaser and put some sort of coating that you think will work really well.... if i ever get the change to build my own ice house from the ground up i will clean the entire frame and put some sort of heavy duty rubber coating on it

dirtybirds14

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you use facebook, add Ice Castle Owners Group on there. A lot of topics people bring up with fixes and improvements, pretty helpful when you're looking for a solution with the search bar they have.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you use facebook, add Ice Castle Owners Group on there. A lot of topics people bring up with fixes and improvements, pretty helpful when you're looking for a solution with the search bar they have.

^^ Yes, there is a ton of info on their facebook page.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
does ice castle have an option for a galvanized frame yet? Seems like this would be money well spent. On a side note, if a guy was going to build his own house with a frame built by a professional (Miltona Blacksmith) is there any place near the RRV that you can get it galvanized?

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
does ice castle have an option for a galvanized frame yet? Seems like this would be money well spent. On a side note, if a guy was going to build his own house with a frame built by a professional (Miltona Blacksmith) is there any place near the RRV that you can get it galvanized?

Yes they do have galvanized frames.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33