Increase in hawk and owl populations

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Broken back:
When I mowed hay land for a rancher out west year's ago I also lifted the 9' mowing bar up and left a spot of grass. But after looking the next day I think I only mark a spot for whatever for their dinner.
One time I did not get the bar up quick enough and that memory will also be in my mind (some lost a leg of two and some a head and some follow the mother to the water).
And today I am sure the nest are ran over but the geese just start over with a new nest.
I also think about all the jackrabbit babies that would run in front. No rabbits today so not sure what would happen now but back then all babies were given a pass. db
Seagulls would come down, pick up the mouse and in one gulp the mouse was gone. Had to dodge seagull droppings now and then as they flew over.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
And the second part made me laugh.

Gullible said : Did your brain ever conside the goose nests on the edges of their home range are not as safe as those on the interior .

Davey said: Seriously, Do you really believe a hungry hunting coyote will trot past a meal of goose eggs and think that's too close to home and trot a few more miles to eat other goose eggs ?

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just to clarify giant Canada's lay three to five eggs. Like I said they don't nest in colonies. Yes sometimes a coyote does get a goose. Especially if there are two coyotes.

I do know a bit about this. If you read Home Grown Honker say hello to the guy in the incubator room. I wasn't in charge of the project, but I raised and released them. Spent months in the field with them. Missed one day and a farmer came in and mowed the WPA. He cut the legs off more than 100 geese. John Deer is the biggest predator as someone commented.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is "Branda" a new genus I haven't heard of?

I'd throw the flag PGBS flag. PG doesn't seem to mind that at all.

pyVqRq2.gif

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

PG, :;:sorry You still mad at me ?

Not really. I do notice I lack patience taking this darn prednisone. Six more days. I get off home health care Wednesday. At least I got off the dilaudid.
I never was ticked about your opinion, just the bs and spade crap. Also, not you in particular, but it's fun simply to have conversations with fellow outdoorsman. I also enjoy just visiting with fellow hunters I meet at places like Scheels. It wrecks it when you have a minority always wanting knit picking for whatever reason.
You were right about coyotes will cache eggs. Every predator has different behavior and coming to a destroyed nest even a week after it's destroyed you have a reasonable idea of who the predator was.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not really. I do notice I lack patience taking this darn prednisone. Six more days. I get off home health care Wednesday. At least I got off the dilaudid.
I never was ticked about your opinion, just the bs and spade crap.

Good answer, All I have is cabin fever. Hope you get well soon, I agree prednisone can put a guy on edge, Been there and done that same with every pain pill I have ever taken. Get off as many drugs as you can and try CBD .

As far as predators go , I have been lucky to live in the boondocks all my life and I get to see it first hand and the old timers used to talk about wildlife a lot . One thing I think we can agree on is that predator eating habits are generally location/environment specific. Up here during nesting season magpies out kill anything that I know of. If you have ever been walking and see a boken egg out in the middle of nowhere it's a good chance that it was a magpie, I see it happen all the time. Fox will scoop up as much of a duck nest as it can fit in it's mouth, Eggs and all and bring it to the den. If you are out predator hunting and see a magpie bring out the glass and have a look , Magpie will hang around and follow fur bearing predators and wait for a chance to steal the meal away . We were over run with magpies and I finally got tired of watching them destroy every tree nest in the yard so I put the hammer down on them. They are protected with a provision that if they become destructive you can hammer on them.
Took this video from my office window.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93