It's getting worse every year.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I punched my rifle deer tag on Saturday and put an end to my deer hunting season. It's always bitter sweet to be done right? I'm actually a bit sad I'm not going to be able to hunt deer anymore this year. But, here's the thing. I'm already obsessing over next year. Looking at maps of my bow hunting permission. Looking at draw odds for rifle here and other states. Ive started reading books on whitetail behavior. It's been like 3 days and I'm already neck deep in next year.

I didn't start deer hunting until I was a bit older (19), I'm now 35 and finally able to find success with some predictability. The more things start making sense, the more wrapped up in learning and improving I get. It seems like every year the obsession gets more and more. I mean, it could be worse things, but even I am looking at myself and shaking my head a little bit.

That being said, I'm reading “Big Buck Secrets” by Steve Bartylla and getting some pretty good information from it. I've also been listening to the "Deer University" podcast put out by the Mississippi State University Deer Lab.

Anyone have any other good resources for learning more about deer and deer hunting. I know, time in the woods is best, but gotta fill off season with something, may as well be this!

Last edited:

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
It could be worse….I’ve been bitten by the archery elk bug. That’s a damn expensive addiction for the part of the country we live in…luckily I have an understanding wife…oofta

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I punched my rifle deer tag on Saturday and put an end to my deer hunting season. It's always bitter sweet to be done right? I'm actually a bit sad I'm not going to be able to hunt deer anymore this year. But, here's the thing. I'm already obsessing over next year. Looking at maps of my bow hunting permission. Looking at draw odds for rifle here and other states. Ive started reading books on whitetail behavior. It's been like 3 days and I'm already neck deep in next year.

I didn't start deer hunting until I was a bit older (19), I'm now 35 and finally able to find success with some predictability. The more things start making sense, the more wrapped up in learning and improving I get. It seems like every year the obsession gets more and more. I mean, it could be worse things, but even I am looking at myself and shaking my head a little bit.

That being said, I'm reading “Big Buck Secrets” by Steve Bartylla and getting some pretty good information from it. I've also been listening to the "Deer University" podcast put out by the Mississippi State University Deer Lab.

Anyone have any other good resources for learning more about deer and deer hunting. I know, time in the woods is best, but gotta fill off season with something, may as well be this!
There are SO many worse things to devote your attention to. This year we have to make smart decisions around Thanksgiving lol....."Hey Honey, I don't really like turkey anyway so I'll be in the blind Thursday" :ROFLMAO:

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
If you don’t already, start processing the game, it’ll sort of make the hunt not end at the pull of the trigger.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to be obsessive over deer hunting. If I had a doe tag I would pass on several does just so I could stay in the field and continue hunting. Unfortunately, I have lost some love for hunting and began focusing more on fishing. I'm sure that will change as my kids get older and my son is already chomping at the bit to deer hunt. However, things will look different since my passion will be more for him and his joy then for myself.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to be obsessive over deer hunting. If I had a doe tag I would pass on several does just so I could stay in the field and continue hunting. Unfortunately, I have lost some love for hunting and began focusing more on fishing. I'm sure that will change as my kids get older and my son is already chomping at the bit to deer hunt. However, things will look different since my passion will be more for him and his joy then for myself.
I am in this category too. Deer hunting used to keep my up the night before season. Now I almost prefer laying in bed with the mrs and drinking a few cups of joe, having a big breakfast and going to bed bath and beyond, its a pretty big Saturday planned.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me also. Then I got a dog and birds were a high priority. I still hunted deer but started just filling tags instead of passing on them and hunting for a bigger buck. Now, I'm getting to lazy to even bird hunt.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
birds and dogs have always been my number 1 but for a few years i really got into deer/ big game hunting. I will be looking for ducks while deer hunting with the boy this weekend.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a love for dogs and guns. That puts me into hunting. Not sure how much Id bird hunt if I didn't have good dogs. The older I get, now into my 5th decade, I don't know how much I care to kill things anymore. I really love and respect all the animals I hunt. I love guns so much though that I want to shoot. I wish I could shoot and release. Dog brings it back and I look at the beauty of the bird then throw it up in the air and watch it fly away. I used hunt 3-4 days a week for many many years. Can't count how many ducks/geese Ive killed or deer. The fire is still there I just feel a little remorse sometimes now when I ring a neck or look at the deer's big brown eyes. Age...ughhhgg

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will add...I love big game hunting (deer). But I'm getting a bad taste in mouth over the years as it very hard to find a place to hunt where I live. Every grove of trees has bow hunters in it. Few will let you hunt. Decent public but trampled by non-res and res alike. Takes the fun out of being out in the peace and quiet.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88