? Jet ski accident strawberry lake ?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow -- is all one can say.

I have driven them -- the key is always on the material that you have wrap around your wrist. I automatically think - dont lose the key. But i have have just driven them grandma style/// last ride i took i had on jeans and my phone in pocket --- curious though if you dump one of them and it has the key in it -- doesnt it automatically throttle down and then start turning circles?

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow -- is all one can say.

I have driven them -- the key is always on the material that you have wrap around your wrist. I automatically think - dont lose the key. But i have have just driven them grandma style/// last ride i took i had on jeans and my phone in pocket --- curious though if you dump one of them and it has the key in it -- doesnt it automatically throttle down and then start turning circles?

I believe so on most but if I understand correctly the jet ski in this accident was one of the older ones that u stand up on and the throttle system is different

Jim_81

This family needs all the support they can get, Chris and family are very close friends of mine, they are avid outdoors people. The family loves to hunt,fish, and camp. Probably not the right place but we are planning a fundraiser/ support banquet for them Aug 12. At this point we are looking for silent auction items, any thing would be greatly appreciated. The family is devastated and needs all the support it can get. Keep your kids and loved ones close, live changes in the blink of an eye....

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update on the second girl involved

https://www.gofundme.com/qazt6g-abby-mikkelson

https://www.facebook.com/100001319876455/posts/1725729834147662/

Text for those without fb.

Amber and myself want to send out a very very big thank you to everyone for there thoughts and prayers during this time. And just wanted to give an update on what is going on. Abby was in a very bad accident and we were airlifted to Gillette children’s hospital in St. Paul mn Saturday night she was in critical condition she has a skull fracture, she has some bleeding in her brain, a severe concussion, her kidneys and spleen have severe bruising and small cuts in them. Her lungs are bruised, her clavicle is broken and we are still waiting to here if her shoulder is broken or just dislocated. They took her off the ventilator yesterday so she is breathing on her own. She woke up yesterday as they had her very very sedated. She can talk but it is very slow because of the bleeding and the concussion. She can’t eat as everything we try comes back up. Abby is doing okay but defiantly not out of the wood yet. We have a long road ahead. Amber and I are truely greatful for every message and every prayer sent our way. Thank you all so much.

Last edited:

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
God comfort the families during this difficult time. May Your healing hand touch the little girl in the hospital so she will miraculously make a full recover. Amen

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reading this tares my heart out. prayers to family. I don't know what to say.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pieces of shit like this need to be removed from society

http://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news/...undraisers-warn-of-PayPal-scam-485423351.html
Strawberry Lake incident fundraisers warn of PayPal scam

paypal+scam+pic.jpg
Photo courtesy: Karlie Davis

By Joe Skurzewski |
Posted: Wed 5:14 PM, Jun 13, 2018

Social-Facebook-34.png
Social-Twitter-34.png
Social-LinkedIn-34.png
Social-Google-34.png
Social-Email-34.png
Social-Print-34.png

MCLEAN COUNTY, N.D. – Organizers of one of the online fundraisers for one of the families impacted by last weekend’s accident on Strawberry Lake are warning donors of a scam involving a fake PayPal account.
The organizer for the Facebook fundraiser for the Sundsbak family says that a scammer hacked their Facebook profile and began messaging donors.
The scammer solicits money from donors by asking them to set up a PayPal account.
They say none of the fundraisers are collecting money through PayPal, and donors should report the messages if they receive them.
The organizers reiterate that the families are not directly asking for money, and say they are setting up an account to transfer the money to the family.
As of Wednesday afternoon, the Facebook page has raised roughly $85,000 for the Sundsbak family. A similar page was set up in support of the Mikkelson family as well.

Last edited:

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
@Obi-Wan, I agree, but unfortunately there are scumbags that like to take advantage of other people tragedies to turn a buck for themselves and have no shame in doing so.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As I understand, the incident occurred in or near small bay. Plus the jet ski that was refurbish with bypass on kill switch, or the bypass was not attached. But whatever....me personally would like to advocate to those who use jet skis to use them outside of bays where boats idle in and out for safety reasons. Out there you can do your playing quick turns, wake jumps, spins, etc where people can see and avoid you and you can see and avoid boats. I have seen over the years too much farten around at high speeds in close quarters because "Billy-Bob" is trying to impress the ladies.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
@Paddlelogger--I was thinking some type of lake rule where Jet skis are off limits or have a designate area they must ride, to keep them separated from the 'tuber's, I know that would be really hard to enforce. About 90% Jet ski riders are foolish, and do stupid tricks on them and I've seen time and time again, they fall off, never fails. Come to Blacktail Dam once on the 4th of July, its way smaller than strawberry and sometimes a circus you'd be amazed there hasn't been an accident like the one mentioned. Yes, the one's with the kill switch are a must, when those older stand up ones first came out, they were made to just idle down and go in a circle when you fall off, at least thats what happened when I rode one and fell off many moons ago, personally, I don't like the stand up ones anymore, I'll rather ride the sit on one.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
no bypass - that seems criminal to me

I agree there. Safety stuff is there for a reason. If this is true and I am the father of one of these girls, that just makes it all that much worse IMO. Basically a preventable tragedy if there was a kill switch.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
As I understand, the incident occurred in or near small bay. Plus the jet ski that was refurbish with bypass on kill switch, or the bypass was not attached. But whatever....me personally would like to advocate to those who use jet skis to use them outside of bays where boats idle in and out for safety reasons. Out there you can do your playing quick turns, wake jumps, spins, etc where people can see and avoid you and you can see and avoid boats. I have seen over the years too much farten around at high speeds in close quarters because "Billy-Bob" is trying to impress the ladies.

@Paddlelogger--I was thinking some type of lake rule where Jet skis are off limits or have a designate area they must ride, to keep them separated from the 'tuber's, I know that would be really hard to enforce. About 90% Jet ski riders are foolish, and do stupid tricks on them and I've seen time and time again, they fall off, never fails. Come to Blacktail Dam once on the 4th of July, its way smaller than strawberry and sometimes a circus you'd be amazed there hasn't been an accident like the one mentioned. Yes, the one's with the kill switch are a must, when those older stand up ones first came out, they were made to just idle down and go in a circle when you fall off, at least thats what happened when I rode one and fell off many moons ago, personally, I don't like the stand up ones anymore, I'll rather ride the sit on one.

Lets just ban all jet ski's. while this accident is an extremely tragic event it is also a rare event but none the less still an accident. What we don't need is a knee jerk reaction signaling out one group and putting restrictions on the group as a whole. If you put restrictions on jet skis you should also put restrictions on boaters pulling tubers or water skiers or even dedicate area's of the lake that are fishing only. Don't get me wrong I hate jet ski's with a passion and think they are the most worthless thing on the water but I don't think banishing them to a designated area is the right thing to do.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
First off i hope there is ajudgement day for those trying to take monies.

And i am sure for the moment all on the lake will be more aware of what can happen. I know this weekend we will have a family discussions at the lake on this again to remind ourselves of what can happen in a split second. db

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never been on a jet-ski. But wouldn't the throttle be set up like a snowmobile so that if you take your hand off it the machine would go to idle? Did he have some kind of "cruise control" on it?

Such a tragedy and my thoughts are with the families in this difficult time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84