Judge strikes down CA ban on standard capacity mags

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
In their opposition to the stay, the plaintiffs included a sworn statement from the president of Palmetto State Armory:

“Since the issuance of the Order, Palmetto State Armory has received, accepted, processed, and shipped orders from thousands of residents of the State of California for firearm magazines with a capacity greater than ten (10) rounds.”

And also:

1AF48E1D-83A7-4112-BA79-0B57610033CE.jpeg

You can see it for yourself here: http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/2019-04-03-Dec-of-C.-Wylie-ISO-Plaintiffs-Brief-to-Defendants-Ex-Parte.pdf

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
CA DOJ just informed Judge Benitez that if he doesn’t issue an emergency stay pending the stay pending the appeal by 5:00 (pst) today, they’re going to the 9th circuit to apply for an emergency stay pending the stay pending the appeal. I’ll report back when something happens.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Judge Benitez just issued a stay of enforcement pending appeal. No more mag purchases after 5:00 PM 4/5/19. Anyone who took possession of mags between 3/29 and 4/5 get a free pass unless/until the 9th circuit throws out the lower Court’s ruling.

We had exactly one week and boy did we give ‘em hell!!! I’m not saying I sent enough mags to California this week to pay for two new Glocks, but theoretically I could have.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
After action report:

Judge Benitez issued a stay of his original ruling pending the state’s appeal to the 9th circuit. In issuing the stay, the judge specifically created a carve out, giving a free pass to anyone who purchased their mags between 3/29/19 and 5:00 PM 4/5/19:

“IT IS HEREBY FURTHER ORDERED that the permanent injunction
enjoining enforcement of California Penal Code § 32310 (a) and (b) shall remain in effect for those persons and business entities who have manufactured, imported, sold, or bought magazines able to hold more than 10 rounds between the entry of this Court’s injunction on March 29, 2019 and 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 5, 2019.”

As you can imagine, there was a mad dash to purchase as many mags as possible before 17:00 PST on Friday.

All said and done, I sent more than 100 LEGAL mags to California this past week. :cool:

But wait... there’s more.

Following the ruling and court injunction to IMMEDIATELY cease enforcement of the law in question, the California DOJ failed to provide any notice to law enforcement or retailers. However, almost a week later, when the judge issued a stay of his orders, the DOJ immediately sent notice to retailers and law enforcement informing them that the law was back in place. As if that’s not bad enough, the notice that the DOJ sent out specifically excludes any mention of the portion of the court’s stay that says the law will not apply to mags purchased during freedom week. This means that CA DOJ is telling law enforcement to continue prosecuting anyone with a standard cap mag.

33CFCA03-08F1-4BA1-AB74-9DB3BAC6AF25.jpg

California is an absolute tyrannical police state. I’ll never, ever visit that place. Never ever.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I thought you were ridiculous to stock mags like they were cash. I couldn’t have been more wrong I guess.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought you were ridiculous to stock mags like they were cash. I couldn’t have been more wrong I guess.

I thought I was wrong too. There was no profit-taking on this one, it was just an effort to get legal mags to CA guys as fast as possible. (I charged guys replacement cost plus shipping.) Websites were crashing and a lot of vendors still continued to not ship to CA. Of the vendors who were shipping, their inventory was limited to whatever they could get from the distributor in a timely fashion. No shortage of pmags out there...

Lot and lots of people doing the same as I did. It was a big group effort.

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forget what I said about “no shortage of pmags.” Palmetto State Armory is out of AR mags. That’s like Dakota Tackle running out of fishing hooks or Captain Jacks running out of beer. :;:muahaha

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
They’re doing fundraising t-shirts. ;:;rofl

3E716077-83D0-46E2-9E8A-D6A35B8E19CE.jpg163547F0-ADA5-451A-A1B7-E31AFDE207ED.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 273
  • This month: 225
  • This month: 156
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 73