Just because you can doesn't mean you should..

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can those fish even be released alive? I don't know how these guys were fishing but everytime I see the great lakes on tv guys are trolling cranks down 70+ feet. They sit there and haul in logs the entire time.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try sustenance and whatever reasons you can come up with for keeping a 17" fish.

Greater meat yield on a per fish basis too, which may be an especially important factor if one doesn't go fishing all that often or if one is paying big bucks for a guided outing.

How bouts I do me and you do you?

You watch too much Alaskan Bush People

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've gotten so "meh" about big fish pics it doesn't rile me. I won't eat them because I think fish over 21 inches taste like garbage. But whatevs. Different strokes for different folks.

I had a previous coworker that caught so many walleyes and had so many in his freezer he resorted to pickling them just to give away. To say I was jealous of his ability to fill a freezer to such an extent is somewhat of an understatement.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
If a guy is deep frying them, there is absolutely no difference in taste between a big or small fish.

- - - Updated - - -

Can those fish even be released alive? I don't know how these guys were fishing but everytime I see the great lakes on tv guys are trolling cranks down 70+ feet. They sit there and haul in logs the entire time.

In late summer that can be the case but for the most part, not this time of year. When I was fished there, I ran my baits 5-20 feet down and other guys I talked to said the same thing. Sounded like on the Detroit River, guys mostly fished in 30 feet or less.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
No matter what, we just can't seem to be happy for anyone else that has success regardless of what they do. Somebody ALWAYS has to BITCH!! Fish being to big, horns not big enough, not using a recurve, using a crossbow, fish being to small, eating muskies, posting land, baiting deer, not using scopes, big deer- it must've been poached, tournaments, non-residents, my deer, city slickers, your deer, public access, lack of habitat, gratis tags, who should pay, blah, blah, blah. Is it any wonder hunters and fishermen get run over by tree kissers and bunny huggers at EVERY TURN!! Divide and Conquer is their plan and we take every opportunity we can to help them do it. STUPID!!! I say CONGRATULATIONS to the lucky fishermen on one hell of a great day on the water!!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
EE39A64A-2853-4E9E-BF09-1B57C76C7BBA.jpeg

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its the Great Lakes, not too big of a deal to me. That would be comparable to bringing in 2 man limit of 24"-25" fish up at Sak.

I don't like to keep a fish over 21" personally, but to each their own.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That pic bothers me as much as anyone but at the end of the day they aren't breaking any laws.:eek: IMHO fish of that size taste like the sole of an old boot that was marinating in an elderly womans crotch but to each there own. ;)

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it’s normal to catch fish like that in the GL’s, why on earth do we get so many Sconis and blue platers here? Serious question haha

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
That pic bothers me as much as anyone but at the end of the day they aren't breaking any laws.:eek: IMHO fish of that size taste like the sole of an old boot that was marinating in an elderly womans crotch but to each there own. ;)

You appear to have tried things most men wouldn’t.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a bunch of guys who go to Erie every year and that is rookie shit compared to the fish they saw up. No sconis majority are from nodak and they taste just fine if you know how to cook. Problem I would have is my blades are to small on the knife

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
To each their own. But I can already see the headlines 5 years from now “ great lakes fishieries biologists seek taxpayer money to study the decline in walleye populations”.......

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
To each their own. But I can already see the headlines 5 years from now “ great lakes fishieries biologists seek taxpayer money to study the decline in walleye populations”.......

this isnt really anything new for huron and erie. Lakes cycle. Its "normal".

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are actually increasing the limit to 6 each after April 30. If I remember right you can bring back 16 fish each right now so those guys in the pic could bring back 64 fish like that. They better have bought the big Yeti.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m curious to know how you know what an elderly woman’s crotch marinade tastes like

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are actually increasing the limit to 6 each after April 30. If I remember right you can bring back 16 fish each right now so those guys in the pic could bring back 64 fish like that. They better have bought the big Yeti.

I'd recommend a Coleman, why risk the freezer burn of a Yeti?

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always giggle when an SJW tells me I should have let the 24" fish I am cleaning swim; while they explain it would only get bigger as they grind up their 15" 5 man limit.

Never been on Huron but on Erie a bunch. Swing into the parking areas at Fenwick or Wild Wings marina on any given day in April and figure how many fish it takes to fill up 3 or 4 rollback dumpsters. Ohio used to have a 10 fish limit, it is now 6 I believe except 4 during most of the spawn. The commercial netters take way more fish than the sportfishing side.

And I have never tasted a bad walleye other than when the person cooking is lousy at cooking.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93