Knots...Braided to Mono

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

Not sure why it didn't work??

Last edited by a moderator:

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I used to always use the uni to uni knot for braid to mono/fluoro, but recently switched to the alberto knot. The alberto knot is quite a bit easier to tie IMO, and isn't as bulky. It slides through the guides quite a bit nicer.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually use a blood knot, but its hard if there is a significant size difference between the 2 lines.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find the Alberto stronger than the double uni. Reason being when using lighter test (8-10) braid the braid will cut through the mono under stress fairly easy. Easier to tie, goes through guides better, and stronger.
Just my preference.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I use the double uni but will have to give prince albert a try. Thanks.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a pain in the ass but I join lines Palomar to Palomar and streamline with superglue.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fg knot. You tube search fg knot and look for videos from salt strong. Strongest and thinnest knot for this. Only have 1 complaint is the way it is finished could be better but only had 1 break and that is because I didn't set it very good.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had really good luck with the FG knot as well. I struggle with tying it using lighter pound test line though, but when I am using heavier leader line and main line it works well for me. Took a few tries to figure it out even watching the videos.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
It took some practice but i was able to tie the FG knot no problem while trying to balance my uncoordinated self and all the gear in a kayak. The FG knot held up good enough that the new 50lb power pro broke before the knot did.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What type of stump were you reeling in that broke 50# test?

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
The line kept burying on the spool. I was chasing it down the beach and plucking the line out but it was something that I thought I was prepared for but obviously I wasn’t. That’s why I love saltwater fishing, never know what you will hook into at 4 in the morning with a fresh whiting head for bait. First time I’ve ever hooked into something on my own that no matter what I did I couldn’t slow it down or turn it some.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even with my costa readers --- I need something that is quick less than 30 seconds to tie --- i do a clinch (real easy one) to a polamar.

You know whats easier ----- look at the water most of ND is green as hell. Just use power pro and use the right rod and f the knots.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just tied my first Alberto knot. It's definitely smaller than a double-uni. Measured with my calipers. Tying a 15# Seaguar floro leader to 10# Fireline.

Alberto: .040"
Double-uni: .056"

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Rigged some new ice reels today so tried the alberto from mono backer to braid and braid to fluoro leader. Definitely easier and faster to tie than double uni. Also sets easier without much rubbing of braid on mono/fluoro. Thanks for the suggestion.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33