Lake Winnipeg Gear

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am starting to put together my arsenal for our first trip up to Winnipeg at the end of Feb. I picked up my first rod but am debating on what type of reel to use. Do any of you guys use the inline reels? I have a couple that I use for crappie and walleye. I have used them up at LOW and really like them. Will they perform ok up on Winnipeg or should I go with the standard spinning reel? Next question would be what type of line does everyone use up there?

I have been looking at tackle and starting to put my list together there. What else should I be thinking about that I may not be right now? Any advice is welcome as we are doing this for our first time and it will be DIY with some GPS coords. from a buddy who has been up there before.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're going to want more than one rod. Run a deadstick with a minnow wherever you are. I had 10lb fireline crystal with a four foot section of 10lb fluoro attached to a variety of lipless cranks. We were up in january so it was impossible to fish outside unless you wanted everything to freeze up. You're going to want a variety of jackal's, live targets, rippin raps, spoons, and some dirtymike customs.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you're like me, you will buy a shit ton of lipless cranks and then use the same live target the whole entire time. lol

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the reals of my open water rods with a good drag. 10# fire line or nano (make sure to return not as tough as fireline) with a few feet of floro. I use longer rods, 36-42 medium action. They seem a bit softer than mh for rattle baits. Live targets in 1/2 and 1/4 sizes a must blue/ silver and green silver. Some jackels, blade baits, rattle spoons. I haven't had a lot of success with flutter spoons but some guys to. Deadstick with minnow also. Some days anything will work some days only certain colors, style, size will work. I have a big selection of rattle baits and seems like every year the hot lure is something different. Last year was green baitball and green live target. I didn't have either one and got to take pictures and land fish. Pm if you have other questions. Have fun it's addicting

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy of mine was up there last year and said the best bait by far for their group was a red and white daredevil. I found that humorous for all the crazy lures out there.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have Dirty Mike set you up with a bunch of custom lipless cranks.

And bring across your allotted amount of alcohol and nicotine (if required). Stupid expensive up there.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Live Targets, barbless hooks. Power pro ice in the 10 lb range on a couple rods, I like a 30 to 32 inch rod for them big girls.

Also no booze on the water.

A couple dirtymikes in the jigging box always helps too

Last edited:

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will always have a couple of these....

IMG_3758.jpg

Snooty patooty by Dirty Mike..

IMG_3846.jpg

The bait looks small in the mouth of a 30" Winnipiggy doesn't it ?? We caught two 30" on that bait in two days..

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't forget your Snobear to get around in! :icegif: Oh yeah I mainly use small bait casting reels up there with good drags.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will always have a couple of these....

girls-add4-user-clb6-600-2.jpg

Snooty patooty by Dirty Mike..

girls-add4-user-clb6-600-2.jpg

The bait looks small in the mouth of a 30" Winnipiggy doesn't it ?? We caught two 30" on that bait in two days..

so whats the idea with heat shrinking the back treble? I have seen others do this also but never heard what the advantage is.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
As nose heavy as those jackals are, it really helps out with that back treble fouling your line.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
A day on Winnipeg is like a day of 12oz curls, but at the end of the day on Winnipeg you're sober. The heat shrink prevents your line from wrapping around the rear treble.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
As nose heavy as those jackals are, it really helps out with that back treble fouling your line.

Do you have the heavier blanks in stock?? The standard jackals were too light and didn't bomb down the hole fast enough for me which was needed when the action was intense..

k9guy82

Founding Member
Founding Member
In speaking of Lake Winnepeg...I'll be headed up there in January as well! Is the barbless hook thing true? Along that you cant fish with live bait? Dirtymike standby for my PM.

Brandon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any hook or lure tied to your line must have the barbs pinched. You can use live minnows but they have to be from Canada and have a live bait permit

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes you must pinch your barbs. I have never felt that I have lost a fish due to pinched barbs and have actually started pinching some of my ice jigs to make unhooking faster.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree, some jackals seemed to be lighter and for that I apologize. Nothing has bothered me more than the hundreds of baits I sent up there thinking they were too light. The ones I had with me seemed to work just fine. The larger jackal baits are unavailable as of now. Which got me searching for something else. I found a #7 rippin rap blank that, from what I can tell, is awesome. The fact that I can hang a #4 treble from the bottom makes me happy.

IMG_4089.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 37