Lets talk Spa's/hot tubs

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
For anybody that owns one...

Whats your thoughts? Worth the investment/use it much?

I am looking at a mid range spa and was looking at the one Costco carries called the Evolution essence. Information is kinda limited on this but the reviews i have found seem to be fairly good.

http://www.costco.com/Evolution-Spas™-Essence-72-jet,-6-person-Spa.product.100144940.html

I also am looking at the American Spas 6 person model for the same price range.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYBBHWU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The Costco one seems to have a few more features and not only comes with the cover but also has more jets, bluetooth stereo and access steps. Anybody have either of these models (or a tub built by either of these companies) that can give me some opinions?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ask yourself which model would you feel the most comfortable getting a handjob?

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everybody says the novelty wears off real fast, whether they bought it for the hell of it, or even if they bought it to help bad back or other issues and end up slowly using it less and less. Sooooo, think it over pretty good before you get one.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I forgot to include I meant from a woman.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a video that um, well, nevermind. Don't want to turn this into another one of those threads.

Have no opinion on hot tubs - sorry.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're buying it to relieve back and/or muscle pain then they are great. I have one that came with my house and I've used it a total of 3 times. We haven't even filled it up for the past 3 years. In my opinion they are more work than what they are worth. If anyone in Bismarck/Mandan wants to buy a hot tub, I'll give them a hell of a deal!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never seen somebody buy one and use it for more than about 3 years. It appears to be a constant battle with keeping the water quality up. Too little chemical, too much chemical, water turns cloudy, water gets a stink to it, etc. I rented a room from a guy that had one in college. I will say it was relaxing as hell to have a stiff cocktail in at the end of the day. If you are single it might be worth it as chicks dig them and seem to have plenty of intentional wardrobe malfunctions late in the pm and early in the am.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own a 7-person hottub and still enjoy it, when I get the chances to hop in. I usually sit in the tub over 30-minutes, if not a full hour.

The number of jets is one factor, but more importantly is the amount of h.p. the pumps can push through. I have two G.E. 5hp pumps, a pump for one side and the second pump for the other. If you're getting a 6-person tub and it only comes with one pump you're not going to enjoy the necessary pressure against the back muscles as much as you'd think would be there. Being one pump short might be why the cost of the hottubs are much lower in price, as they alone go for over $600.

Also, living up this far north, look at how think the cover is. I just tossed my 4" cover after nine years and got myself a new 5" cover. Living outside of town and being on the rural electric system the monthly rates are approx. $35/mo to keep them heated and ready at a moments notice in December.

This is the first winter that I've 'winterized' my hottub. In hindsight, it's probably the worse year to choose that!! The temps outside are amazing and I can remember many nights of dashing IN the tub and quickly dashing OUT after a relaxing session.

Last note for your consideration. In the privacy of your own place, think about utilizing your tub in the buff. Why? Well, when you get out of a 101-degree hottub your body retains that higher temp for a couple minutes; your trunks DO NOT! It won't be two seconds and your trunks will turn 3-degrees. Do you know what 3-degrees does to the jewels, my man?????? Case closed.:;:sorry

;:;popcorn I can imagine the proceeding comments... ;:;popcorn

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard the gay can linger in them for days after someone with the gay has been in it. So that scares me.

Truth or just urban legend?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just funnin'. Saying "the gay" makes me smirk every time I do it so I just can't help it. :;:sorry

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just inherited a hot tub hand me down. My parents upgraded so it was free for me. If I didn't get it for free, I probably wouldn't own one.
Now onto the reason they got rid of it: IT LEAKS!!! After a bottle of fix a leak it seemed to stop. It has since continued to leak. We have used it with the leaks. Just have to add a little water now and again. Last weekend after tearing the side off and cutting and digging out spray foam insulation we fixed one of the leaks. Last night I discovered another leak. Seems as if when my parents had it, some mice got into it and made a nice little home with some of the spray foam and chewed off pieces of hoses. If your thinking this sounds like a HUGE pain in the ass, it was.

Don't let my experience detour you from getting one. When we use it we love it! I would stay away from as many built in electronics as you can. Water and electronics don't mix. Also, with all of the jets going and water moving, its tough to hear a speaker unless it is turned up really loud.

IMG_1903.jpg

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to pretend to be an adult and ignore the comments about handjobs.

First, you need to ask yourse..

Haha, can't help myself. Funny posts up there!!

Srsly, I have a 6 person in the back yard, and use it nearly every single night. The only time I don't, is maybe a few nights in August, when it's still hot at night.

Two pumps are better than one, to be sure. And the 5HP pumps, 208-230/460VAC 3PH are $600-ish. So they are a pretty good part of the expense. That being said, they also are repairable, if the need arises. In Bismarck, having a seal changed is about $100. Far and away the most common reason a pump would fail.

Chemicals do add up, but in the relaxation scheme of things, I don't see them as terribly important.

Cloudy water can often be cured by dumping water (not all of it of course) and replacing. "The solution to pollution is dilution".

Regarding the cost to own - is $35 a month too much? I don't think so. I used to spend a lot more than that "relaxing" at the bar.

Lastly, a good cover is worth every penny. If snow melts off the cover, or frost won't form on it, you're losing too much heat.

- - - Updated - - -

I heard the gay can linger in them for days after someone with the gay has been in it. So that scares me.

Truth or just urban legend?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just funnin'. Saying "the gay" makes me smirk every time I do it so I just can't help it. :;:sorry

The "gay" only lingers in them as long as the homeowner doesn't say "guywhofishes, it's time for you to go home".

Now I'M just funnin'.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you do about the gay sauce?;:;rofl :;:howdy :;:sorry

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a staph infection once from a hot tub that apparently had not been cleaned probably ever. Had a very small cut on my knee. Never thought anything of it until the next day after the booze had wore off. My knee was the size of a softball and I could barely bend it or walk. Not cool. There are days I really want to have a hot tub and then I think about maintenance and the thought of a dirty sespool of bacteria, I have second thoughts!

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everybody says the novelty wears off real fast, whether they bought it for the hell of it, or even if they bought it to help bad back or other issues and end up slowly using it less and less. Sooooo, think it over pretty good before you get one.

I'll 2nd this. And also stay away from Dakota Spas in Fargo. Gave us the run around til warranty was up and have never heard back from them. Also the new so called appliance grade spas are much easier to work on (no chopping out foam around the plumbing). Rarely use ours in the heat of the summer and when i checked after putting zero chemicals for 4+ months the water was as crystal clear as the last time we used it. Ozone and UV are a must have and are probably why the water lasted without any chemical.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a staph infection once from a hot tub that apparently had not been cleaned probably ever. Had a very small cut on my knee. Never thought anything of it until the next day after the booze had wore off. My knee was the size of a softball and I could barely bend it or walk. Not cool. There are days I really want to have a hot tub and then I think about maintenance and the thought of a dirty sespool of bacteria, I have second thoughts!

see? I told you guys. lingers for days.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33