Live Bait vs Berkeley Power Ba

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had no choice but to use Berkley Power Bait today as by partners boy left the crawlers on the counter of the Bait shop. He had anticipated maybe running low on Bait so he had bought some half crawlers for slow death hooks by Berkley. Well they worked well I thought. We were landing as many or more than the other boats. We started running low on those so I put a spinner on and some Berkley minnows. We ended up 1 short of our limit. Not bad for August on OAHE by Mobridge.

In the end I'm kinda glad I was forced to use them. I had confidence in them as I've done ok with power baits before, but given the choice, I'd have real crawlers on. Well, maybe not anymore. Those half crawlers are PERFECT for slow death hooks. They spun perfect every time and stay on better after getting bit. I didnt know they came out with perfect half crawlers for Slow Death.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plus they're more durable and you don't have to deal with slime. dirt and other shit.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
They do make your hands stink.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use Berkley 4" crawlers and like them. Some days they out perform real ones.
I prefer the pumpkin seed ones but they are tuff to find in 4" so I buy the 6" and break off an inch or two.
Used to be able to catch quite a few fish off one worm but they changed the formula in the plastic and it's a lot softer then it use to be, now lucky if you can catch 2 fish on a worm. :mad:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMHO: Live bait has no place in "active" fishing. Use of live bait (and trolling) makes PWT gay as nets insert the gay in bass tournaments.

Live bait should be reserved for less mobile situations, Carolina rigs, Worm Blowers, slip floats, kids or beer.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you've fished enough, you will discover that "Sometimes" is more applicable than "Always" when talking presentations, baits, lures, and other fishing topics. I tend to let the fish dictate what I do. I have more fish fries when I try not to "force" the fish to eat what I want them to eat.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you've fished enough, you will discover that "Sometimes" is more applicable than "Always" when talking presentations, baits, lures, and other fishing topics. I tend to let the fish dictate what I do. I have more fish fries when I try not to "force" the fish to eat what I want them to eat.
That is some big brain shit.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The half crawlers are great on slowdealth setup kinda made for it I have heard. The good less mess in boat the bad smells hands as mentioned above. Fun eating sandwich either way.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy went back to same spot today, and caught a 4 man limit by noon. They had real worms today. I just thought if I'd let people know they made those half crawlers, and they'll work. I didn't know about em, but I don't get to scheels much. Nice to have a pack or two in case you run out, or forget the bait. I got some because I live 50 miles from a store that sells bait, and no longer catch and keep my own.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to use those chartreuse gulp all the time on the slow death and the fish loved them. I could go most the day on one worm

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84