U.S. Optics B-25 5-25x

Schmidt & Bender 5-25×56 PM II Digital BT

Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25×56 M5B2 Illuminated Front Focal

Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27×56 FF

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
No, he needs to check in to the Loony Bin in Jamestown.

that took way longer than i thought........its as predicable as gst to a farming thread..........

this is fun

- - - Updated - - -

ior has an A for internals thats fun

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
horsager Leupold or NF?

NF on a dedicated LR rig. LR means different things to different people. The deer I took in MT last fall was over 500yds w/sub 7# 270 and 4.5-14x40 1" tube Leupold. 1-shot, flop. For Leupold, I actually prefer the older Vari-X series to the VX series. I haven't tried any of the newer VX-i series yet.

With Vortex IMO, you're paying 5x-6x more than the piece of shit is worth so they can give you the 1st one, 2-3 replacements until you're frustrated and go with something else, meaning they still got 2x more than the piece of shit was worth.

If using a rifle as a "long-range" while out walking/hiking/stillhunting, I'd be looking at something like the 2.5-10x42 NXS. If mainly using the rifle from a stand with lots of LR opportunity, I'd probably have a 5.5-22x56.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Horsager, I shot my WT doe last year at 511 yards with my current setup BANGFLOP! Id like to stretch out to 750 yards in hunting situations with perfect conditions (I know perfect conditions don't happen very often)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If weight isn't a concern nf atacr .I hate sfp scopes. There's lots of great options keep an open mind. Bushnell lrh is discontinued now to different model but they are highly spoke of by people who shoot for a living. Go to snipers hide you tube page. Frank reviews lot of stuff and pulls no punches.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have only shot three deer under 1000 yards in the past 15 years. If you learn your scopes flaws and counter for them nearly anything with target turrets will work if it tracks repeatably. Perhaps more important for long range is deer behavior, when they are going to move and when they will stand. Many people are sure there are wounded deer running all over the countryside, but I have not wounded or lost a deer while long range shooting. Never, not one.

I have heard a couple of nightmare stores about Vortex, but they were both Diamondback. They dial accurately and my rifles, scopes, and loads do very well for me. I'm thinking about buying a new PST generation II with the 25 minutes of angle per revolution.

Like SDFM I like the old Leupolds. I have two tacticals from 1982 and I baby them.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
with Vortex does a guy need to go to the Razor or Vipers decent scopes?

I love my viper. Don't get me wrong, If i could sneak a Vortex Razor in the house without my wife cutting me in my sleep I would, but I certainly don't feel like I need the Razor. I've been using my Viper PST 6-24 for a few years now and as far as glass quality goes and reliability goes I see no reason why I would really NEED to upgrade. Would I like to have a Razor? yes, but that is an expensive WANT.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF since I sometimes have a hard time telling when someone is serious, and when they are having fun I have to ask what it is you don't like about Vortex. I am thinking about the PST second generation with 25 inches per turn and a better zero stop. I can get a Nightforce for about $300 more. I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF since I sometimes have a hard time telling when someone is serious, and when they are having fun I have to ask what it is you don't like about Vortex. I am thinking about the PST second generation with 25 inches per turn and a better zero stop. I can get a Nightforce for about $300 more. I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

Vortex entered the market with a "Sell the Warrantee 1st" business model. Something to the effect of: "Try our new to the market scope. If it fails we have a no questions asked, no-fault, over-the-counter warrantee."

The only way that business model works is you have to WAY overcharge up front, or, build something that's so good, it never (or almost never) fails.

People will say, Leupold built their business the same way. I disagree. Leupold built their business by building a fantastic scope, that was lightweight, trouble-free, and Made In the USA. The market for USED Leupold scopes was built upon the Leupold warrantee. There was no risk in purchasing used because they'd cover and problems. Leupold's quality and reputation took a hit when in ~2003 they started the VX-series that became "Assembled in the USA" vs. "Made in the USA". Leupold has rightly taken a giant beating over the issue. I hope the VX-I series proves to have them back on the right track.

For PST $$ and PST weight, I'm buying Nightforce every time and 2x on Sundays.

IMO, everything Asia-Pacific is dogshit save SOME Japanese stuff. I don't care who's name is emblazoned upon the side either.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my old Leupold scopes. The new ones look clear, but something is not holding under heavy recoil. On my 300 mag I get two 1/4 inch groups an inch apart. It held horizontal zero, but not elevation.
I bought one Vortex, then another, then another. The razor spotting scope and razor binoculars are not Swarovski, but they were the best I could afford.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
All internals on the razors are put together here in Wisconsin and the amg is berry compliant

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vortex entered the market with a "Sell the Warrantee 1st" business model. Something to the effect of: "Try our new to the market scope. If it fails we have a no questions asked, no-fault, over-the-counter warrantee."

The only way that business model works is you have to WAY overcharge up front, or, build something that's so good, it never (or almost never) fails.

People will say, Leupold built their business the same way. I disagree. Leupold built their business by building a fantastic scope, that was lightweight, trouble-free, and Made In the USA. The market for USED Leupold scopes was built upon the Leupold warrantee. There was no risk in purchasing used because they'd cover and problems. Leupold's quality and reputation took a hit when in ~2003 they started the VX-series that became "Assembled in the USA" vs. "Made in the USA". Leupold has rightly taken a giant beating over the issue. I hope the VX-I series proves to have them back on the right track.

For PST $$ and PST weight, I'm buying Nightforce every time and 2x on Sundays.

IMO, everything Asia-Pacific is dogshit save SOME Japanese stuff. I don't care who's name is emblazoned upon the side either.

Where can you get a 6-24x50 (or comparable) nightforce for $600? I bought my PST brand new a year ago for $600. Cheapest turreted Nightforce I've seen with comparable zoom (5-20) is pushing $1200.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing with you here about Nightforce vs. Vortex. I would take Nightforce hands down if funds allowed for it, but I just can't justify spending 2x more on a scope than I did the gun it would go on.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those sell for 1099.99
Yes, and don't the lower priced Nightforce sell for $1200+? I think Sheels has a Nightforce for under $1300. It had a covered windage turret which I didn't like. Every time I find what I like it's beyond my wallets ability, and that keeps bringing me back to Vortex.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup that’s correct. I run that same vortex scope as your link has.<br>PM me if you have questions. I can send pics over/help out

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
BGH thank you for the offer. I have been looking at both the Vortex and the Nightforce at Sheels for a few months. Last year I was tipping towards the Nightforce, but I like the features of the Vortex. I prefer their turrets and really like the EBR 2-C (moa) reticle. The Viper PSTs that I have sre clear, track, group, and I am very careful with my ewuipment so I cant judge durability. My 1982 Leupold tacticals look like they just come out of the box.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18