Looking for ATV input.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rincon if getting for a trail riding ATV.
Rubicon if getting for a working ATV...better gear system with high and low and still has plenty of power.

Agree 100%. Rincon much smoother riding, but the Rubicon is the workhorse of the ATV world. Have pulled around a fairly heavy 8x14 fish house, 17'6" boat with ease and currently run tracks for ice fishing. Not gonna win any speed contest, but will get you there and back

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You have any real world reviews on the new Camso R4S tracks? They are smaller, but they also are designed for a smaller and lighter ATV...
Don't know anyone that has them but just what I heard from dealers. I don't think a guy can get stuck in T4S tracks after using them but I have my doubts with the R4S due to less surface area.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
20180402_193325.jpg
I guess this is sort of a Honda thread, but I have run Arctic Cat past 6 years no problems. On my 2nd cat '09 700. 2" receiver, been on lake Winnipeg 2 trips no problems. It pushes snow at -20 and is a pretty comfy ride. Just thought I'd mention it

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honda's are great, but shifting into reverse on the new ones sucks. You mentioned using a plow which means going into reverse a bunch. I'm sure a guy would get use to it after awhile, but the old style was way better. Trying to chase cows with a new one will drive you nuts.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honda's are great, but shifting into reverse on the new ones sucks. You mentioned using a plow which means going into reverse a bunch. I'm sure a guy would get use to it after awhile, but the old style was way better. Trying to chase cows with a new one will drive you nuts.

I've not driven a new Honda but it can't be any worse then shifting the old ones into reverse. I won't buy a Honda for that reason, when I'm chasing cows I like to get to reverse fast fast fast.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've not driven a new Honda but it can't be any worse then shifting the old ones into reverse. I won't buy a Honda for that reason, when I'm chasing cows I like to get to reverse fast fast fast.

I've spent plenty of time chasing cows and very rarely needed reverse or not at all. Then again out Honda 185 3wheelers didn't have it so that might have been the readon

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would agree that the reverse on the new Honda's suck. For what i use it for, its not too big of a deal, but I'm not sure id want to plow much with it.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

My Rubicon is a 2004, so it's pre-stupid red button, simple shift lever into reverse. The new ones have a little red lever instead of a button. I just wish mine had a reverse limiter override, I want to be able to go as fast in reverse as I can forward.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am also a fan of Hondas. I have a 2012 foreman ES with PS. PS is a must with the tracks. I now have a full season of ice fishing with the tracks and the ATV does great. I just got back from Clearwater lake in Manitoba and pulled my 8x12ft skid house 18 miles and it did great.

Don't let the reverse button be a deterent, just do the override if it bothers you that much. Only problem I've had with mine was with the ES and PS when the battery was going downhill. PS is all electric so keeping your battery charged and replacing it when it gets old is good.

My dad bought a 2006 foreman when I was still in high school. His only mistake with that was letting me have free range with the thing. As much as I put it through, it is still running and driving strong today. Hes also been plowing snow with it for over 10 years now.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Rubicon is also the 2004 model Hondamatic transmission. Just has lever shift or manual on the handlebars no footpeg shift like the regular 500's. Haven't looked to see if all the new are that way now.

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those that have the Rincon(also an owner) be sure you come to a complete stop if you were in drive before shifting in reverse. If you do not do this you will eventually destroy your transmission fairly quickly. I have not experienced this myself but have been warned by a mechanic when I bought my Rincon.

By the way I have really like it this year. I have used it to push what snow we had out of my driveway. My Dad cleaned around his ice house quite a bit this year and even made a path from the ice access to his house. Don't do this cause people then fish right next to you. Haha. Used it ice fishing myself and threw on an otter box and pulled my otter ice house around. Gonna order attachments for the otter box next year for when I head to Lake Winnipeg(well that's the plan anyways). Also put some chains on it and works pretty well on the ice while moving the snow around on the lake. Nice machine. Just keep up with changing the fluids and treating the gas when not in use for long periods of time and they should last a long long time.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I decided to go with this type of side by side 2 years ago. Find a good used jeep and you are set. U can find one for less money than a new Ranger, etc and use year round legally on streets, etc. Great ice fishing rig as well. Cruise around with the top down in the summer and wave like a guy in a parade. haha. Bought it for the wife for a combo bday/anniversary gift so how could she say no? haha
Jeep#3.jpgJeeping .jpg

Becker

I have a 2004 Rincon 650. Been a great machine with no troubles. Rides like a dream but the machine is large and heavy(#600) i think. Plenty of power. Can pull a wheelie no problem. I installed heavier shocks in the rear and built my own 2 inch receiver hitch for pulling boat around yard and anything else. Pulled a buddies 20ft wheel house no problem. He had a tongue ski so i was able to adjust the weight on the hitch without overloading it. Those things work nice. Pushes snow good with the extra weight of the machine moves a lot of snow. As i get older i will probably sell it for a smaller unit. Something in the 500cc class. Love the Rincon but sometimes its just too big.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I spent some time shopping today and I've made my decision. Going with the Rubicon (500) for several reasons-biggest is the ability to lock the front diff, power steering, has a far better transmission and a better towing capacity. I drove both, the Rubicon felt more stable and the auto trans is awesome! Found out the Rubicon has sway bars and the Rincon does not. Overall the Rubicon is a beast! I really didn't find shifting to reverse to be much of a bother as some have stated but I was just test driving though so time will tell.

Honda offers the Rubicon with all the bells and whistles in a manual shift version as well. Has the foot shifter just like the old 3 wheeler I grew up driving. I seriously considered it(would be cheaper) but after some thought decided to go with the auto shift. I wondered how easy it would be to run that shifter in the winter with big bulky pac boots on? Also considered the woman and kids, auto will be much easier for them to run.

So, now I'm wondering if the extended warranty is worth the money? I'm a mechanic so fixing things is no big thing for me so its more about the parts. But these Honda's are bullet proof is the cost justifiable. If I don't put a ton of miles on a year it may not pay.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, a BIG THANKS to everyone! Your input is greatly appreciated and helpful.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, now I'm wondering if the extended warranty is worth the money? I'm a mechanic so fixing things is no big thing for me so its more about the parts. But these Honda's are bullet proof is the cost justifiable. If I don't put a ton of miles on a year it may not pay.

No, IMHO. Extended warranties are a big money maker for dealers of vehicles, appliances, you name it and that's why they promote them during the sale so much. Not worth the money IMHO. Been plenty of banter on here regarding extended warranties so I sure others will chime in with their opinion.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
No, IMHO. Extended warranties are a big money maker for dealers of vehicles, appliances, you name it and that's why they promote them during the sale so much. Not worth the money IMHO. Been plenty of banter on here regarding extended warranties so I sure others will chime in with their opinion.[/QUOTE]

That's the what I was thinking. I'm actually impressed by the sales guy, he really didn't push the extended warranty, just asked if I was interested. I guess he believes in the machine if he doesn't try to push the warranty, must mean something.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33