Manners Composite Stocks

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going back and forth between the EH1 and EH5 (thumbhole) for a new build.

Does anyone have either of these in the Bismarck/Mandan area? I have only handled an EH1 years ago and would like to handle and check fit, before I pull the trigger on one.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
thumb holes are a really personal like thing i hate them so i would not go that route. if you have shot a thumb hole before and its your thing i would not worry about the fit and finish of the manners as all that i have seen are top notch

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
thumb holes are a really personal like thing i hate them so i would not go that route. if you have shot a thumb hole before and its your thing i would not worry about the fit and finish of the manners as all that i have seen are top notch

Agree with the personal preference and finish/quality from Manners. I am more concerned about how the dimensions fit my body, grip, and comb height. I have never owned a thumb hole, but have handled a few that I really liked and seemed to come up and fit perfect. That's why I would like to actually get my hands on an EH5. I honestly probably like the look of the EH1 more, however I have always put function and fit ahead of looks so have been going back and forth between the two.

Sounds like manners will ship out some demos to try, however was hoping to save some time and shipping $$ and see if anyone in the area has either that wouldn't mind a stranger checking them out.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an EH1 located in Cooperstown. I have had a thumbhole in the past but prefer verticle palm swell more. Just my 2 cents.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not much help but I have a T5A in Fargo. I really like the thumbhole stock. I have used some thumbholes stocks that I just don't care for but the Manners has a very comfortable grip. What are you planning to do with the rifle?

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I looked at buying a manners and went with a McMillan. Both are great stocks and tough as nails. What kind of features are you looking for in a stock and what kind of action? Is weight an issue? I am not a fan of thumbholes and would not recommend them for hunting. The thumbholes are fine off a bench.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Greyboe stocks. Made by McMillan’s son under licensing from Mcmillan but 1/2 the price.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Greyboe stocks. Made by McMillan’s son under licensing from Mcmillan but 1/2 the price.

Good stocks but heavy for hunting guns. They also require more finishing to install barreled action.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are you planning to do with the rifle?

Its going to be a hunting rifle. Call it a 90% stick. I am hoping to have it cover 90% of all hunting I typically do and future tags/hunts. Chambered in 300 Norma Mag and likely shooting the 215gr Berger.

Weight is a concern and one of the reasons Manners was at the top of the list. Its not going to be a featherweight mountain rig, and I don't want it to be, given the powder charge. I am hoping to keep it around 9.5lbs scoped

Thanks for the replies guys.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 41