Mice in the house

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
What works to combat a mouse problem in the house? This year they are bad. We first found them in the garage and we used snap traps, sticky traps and decon. We trapped quite a few but now it seems a few found a way into the basement. Decon has been ate but none in traps.
Has anyone used any sprays or sonic devices with success? Or is it gonna be a trap and decon game till I kill all the lil bastards.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sticky pad traps along walls where they can get into or under things, check them daily.
Seems decon acts as a food supply and attracts even more of them, quit using that in my shop and they left on their own that and moving the dog and cat food into the house and putting it into sealed containers they couldn't get into.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I just used the last of the decon. I won't buy more. But I'll be getting more sticky traps and some more snaps. None of the traps in the garage have been triggered in over a month.
Pretty sure they are coming from my neighbors house.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
A cat. You get a cat in your house and the mice will piss themselves trying to get out of there.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bad year for mice , My cat can't keep up.

Thanks Captain Ahab for suggesting this a couple weeks ago . $ 12 at fleet farm. Put one in an old vehicle that had mice in it and caught 6 mice in 2 days. I put poison inside the trap and it killed them deader than a doornail. I'm getting 2 more , one for the garage and one for the house . I'm not a fan of poison out in the open because they crawl in someplace and die and stink when they rot. .

0000000004945.jpg

Also put one of these in the shop and caught 4 within 2 days. Dang mice, I hate them.

0000000004944.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vary your baits and you will have better success. Some mice don't like every bait you put out, so if you put out say 3 different types, you have a better chance of finding something ALL the rodents will eat and thus perish. Also, try to clean up any cluttered areas or rubbish that has accumulated. Eliminating their preferred habitats and food will do wonders for keeping them the hell out. Good Luck!!!

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
A cat. You get a cat in your house and the mice will piss themselves trying to get out of there.

Unless you have my cat, we have a pet door for the dogs and cat to get into the entry way but no the house, cat catches them and brings them inside the entry way to play with them and then they get away from her and when we open the door to the house they get in. That was the only mice we have had in the house for several years now, she hasn't done that for a long time but I think the dogs may catch them too, I find dead ones laying outside the doors once in a while, better than inside.
The other bad thing about decon is when they do die its usually in a spot you can't get to or find and have to live with the stench for a while.

loocway

Make yourself one or two of these. I have caught tons of mice with these. They are deadly. If you put them outside, put some anti-freeze in the bucket to prevent them from freezing. Nice thing about these is you can catch multiple mice and don't have to reset the trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF6xwUSkT1k

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note. I probably wouldn't put quite so much peanut butter on it though. Keep it towards the middle of the bottle so they can't sit on side of bucket and nibble it off. Make them work for it.

- - - Updated - - -

I have also noticed it helps to put very small smears of peanut butter up ramp mainly just for scent. If you put too much on the ramp, they will be full before they get to the bottle.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As they said a cat. Lived on a cattle farm for three years. When the wife and I played cards at night would shoot some with the BB gun. Got one with the fry pan once.
was not until I got the cat that we got rid of them. He did not catch all but they all left when the cat came.
had another cat that would catch, play and release. So I quite buying him cat food and then he started eating the mice. Db

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
0000000004945.jpg

These work VERY well.

And hard to improve, For no good reason I didn't want to smear peanut butter on inside the trap so I smeared it on a piece of paper and put the paper in the trap. First morning no mice, Less peanut butter, and the paper was holding the trap door open. Took paper out and smeared PB on the trap and caught mice. Buggers are smarter than I gave them credit for.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
catch em live, fatten em up over the winter then rubber band them on a hook and let em swim around attracting pike and bass

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to sit quietly on a small stool with a hammer. When employed correctly the hammer is zero fail.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Turn a few bullsnakes loose in your house, it'll solve the mouse problem, and keep late night trips to the bathroom interesting.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Keep traps close to walls, mice will cruse the perimeter of any room first. They don't like open spaces.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make yourself one or two of these. I have caught tons of mice with these. They are deadly. If you put them outside, put some anti-freeze in the bucket to prevent them from freezing. Nice thing about these is you can catch multiple mice and don't have to reset the trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF6xwUSkT1k

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note. I probably wouldn't put quite so much peanut butter on it though. Keep it towards the middle of the bottle so they can't sit on side of bucket and nibble it off. Make them work for it.

- - - Updated - - -

I have also noticed it helps to put very small smears of peanut butter up ramp mainly just for scent. If you put too much on the ramp, they will be full before they get to the bottle.

THIS WORKS! Learned it from a couple older fellas chit chatting in the mouse trap section of the local L &M Fleet store near where we have a camper on some property. Set up this unit..i used anti freeze in bucket and instead of a bottle, I used a EMPTY busch lite can with a hole in the bottom( knew them little buggers wouldn't be able to resist busch lite cans..haha) spread some peanut butter on the can and when we came back the next weekend there were 4 of the little buggers in the antifreeze( fished the buggers out of the bucket and burned). This contraption was in our porch, caught another couple on sticky traps in the camper. The very next weekend we went there, there were another 5 of the little buggers in the antifreeze concoction. Unless we get a pile of snow this next week, we plan to visit/stay in our camper again turkey day weekend so am anxiously waiting to see how many of the little buggers are in the anti freeze concoction this time. Stay tuned..this method works! That is all.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 99
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46