NDGF Fish by Lake Data

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
The data does help. I noticed where some lakes that had problems in the past decade are finally starting to come back into populations of harvest-sized fish. That's good to know and should take some pressure off of other lakes.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
That sampling info is becoming my favorite.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Very useful document now. I've always had the lake contours on my phone, but being able to see netting samples of fish sizes by species is a tremendous addition.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
They need to be dumping more walleye into the mid sized lakes looking at the samplings. Shouldn't be putting any into DL or Sak those two are stacked with walleye!

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
They need to be dumping more walleye into the mid sized lakes looking at the samplings. Shouldn't be putting any into DL or Sak those two are stacked with walleye!

Thats impressive that you know more than the people making the charts..:D, Any rational on why more walleye should be stocked in the mid-sized lakes than what currently is being, or just going off a "gut" feeling.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This is a great tool. We now know what size fish in what proportions are in each lake. The game and fish is really doing a great job providing this type of information.

Agame24

I've been using this for a couple weeks now and it sure does trim down the list of lakes to hit. Thumbs Up

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some weird data on some of these lakes, I find it hard to believe they didn't net a single trout in Fish Creek and out of all my years fishing out there I have never caught bluegill but the sampling report says they are there? Also a few other lakes I fish a lot are missing species that I always catch that are not on the sample report.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some weird data on some of these lakes, I find it hard to believe they didn't net a single trout in Fish Creek and out of all my years fishing out there I have never caught bluegill but the sampling report says they are there? Also a few other lakes I fish a lot are missing species that I always catch that are not on the sample report.

A sample net will almost never tell the full story. It’s just what the nets caught on that time that year. Test netting has been done for years, but was never published. You had to call the biologist. Trout and crappie are not easily caught in test nets in general(especially hoop nets). The habits of a fish will usually dictate if they are caught in a test net based on where they placed. Interesting stuff, but not an exact science.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, this just some of the stuff I have been told, experienced and read.

MN has published stuff for a long time and some awesome crappie lakes will sometimes show almost nothing in the test net on that particular year.

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
A sample net will almost never tell the full story. It’s just what the nets caught on that time that year. Test netting has been done for years, but was never published. You had to call the biologist. Trout and crappie are not easily caught in test nets in general(especially hoop nets). The habits of a fish will usually dictate if they are caught in a test net based on where they placed. Interesting stuff, but not an exact science.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, this just some of the stuff I have been told, experienced and read.

MN has published stuff for a long time and some awesome crappie lakes will sometimes show almost nothing in the test net on that particular year.

That makes sense but and I could be wrong on this I don't think there has ever been bluegill in Fish Creek.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yeppers.. Capt has it correctamundo
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/search.html

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
The nets in most these lakes were set in a certain spot and sat for 24 hrs before being pulled and then the data was gathered. Also some of the information may be off a little bit. The biologist I talked to said they had til Jan 1st in house to get all their errors removed and data correct.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats impressive that you know more than the people making the charts..:D, Any rational on why more walleye should be stocked in the mid-sized lakes than what currently is being, or just going off a "gut" feeling.
Take a look at the catch percentage. When you have a reservoir like Ashtabula with a walleye catch percentage of 1.9% compared to Sak with walleye catch percentage of 55.7% that tells me they need to be sticking more walleye in Ashtabula. That's a horrible %.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is great info to see all in one place. Like everything with fishing, it's not an exact science but tells some bits of the story for sure.

Can someone help me though? I don't see the link to GPS coordinates for the sure-fire spots.....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 85
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31