Need to build an approach, suggestions?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was like 10 years ago that i quit doing dirt work so prices have really gone up since then. I used to get 10-12 yards of crushed asphalt for less than $3.00 a yard. If the approach is built correctly you should never have to renovate it, but every contractor is different. I can understand him using big rock if he can pack it in. I used 3/4'' crushed rock when i couldn't get the crushed asphalt, and i packed it in while the clay was still wet and that worked good too.
Once i used the crushed asphalt that was my preferred topping for certain projects. In spongey yards i would use 1 1/2''- 3'' rock to pack it down good and firm it up. That fixed the spongey spots but sometimes you had to do it for 1-3 years in a row to get it totally firmed up. By spongey i mean the frost boil spots that some yards get in the spring. Others might have different views on what works for them.

the recycle asphalt now runs 13 ish a ton so close to 20 dollars a yard. The state requires you to use 20% of it on jobs now so there is a pretty big demand. We mix ours with a class 5 to make it pack easier and little more affordable product. It is by far the best product for driveways and high use areas other than concrete or asphalt

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will need a permit, you will need to do it to county specs.

I called county and evidently its a township road, spoke to township guy and he said permit is no problem, no major requirements evidently...

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I called county and evidently its a township road, spoke to township guy and he said permit is no problem, no major requirements evidently...
Now you’ll sleep well lol. That is very rare. They usually require a certain size culvert at the very least.

Nmariner

Established Member
Lycan I would double check on the permit. Townships and counties don't communicate well sometimes. At least get something in writing that approves you putting an approach at that location and have it signed by someone with the authority to do so. Better to be safe than sorry, never know when someone complains and you have to move it(I have see stupider things happen).

I agree with the guy best thing to do is strip topsoil, steal material from the hill and place a good surface material 4" thick over it. If you ever see yourself having an asphalt or concrete driveway I do not recommend using a fatty clay to build it. Crushed Asphalt has gone way up in price is it is now reincorporated into Asphalt at the Hot Plant on every city street. It still has oil content in it and with the high price of Asphalt Oils nowadays it pushes the value of crushed asphalt up considerably. I dont know how big you are going but 10 hours @ $180 an hour ($1800) is in the ballpark price wise.

If you have any questions PM me.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
got a good start on approach today... About 200 yards of nice clay fill!

20190504_132438.jpgit

20190504_181904.jpg

20190504_181918.jpg

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably going to let it settle/pack for the summer and finish it off this fall or next year, too many projects and funds are running low! Thinking Ill plant something over it for now to help combat erosion...

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking good. Any details on the project? Was the top soil removed? Is it just 100% clay fill dirt or did you put down anything else?Diameter and length of culvert?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking good. Any details on the project? Was the top soil removed? Is it just 100% clay fill dirt or did you put down anything else?Diameter and length of culvert?

I ended up using 30ft of culvert, 15", with flared ends that add another 2ft to each end, so total its about 34'. Just used fill, I had to dig the flared ends down into the dirt, theres a metal piece that goes down about 4 inches and it doesnt appear any black dirt was put down when road was finished, theres not even 1" of black before you get into subsoil, so Im not sure I need to haul in dirt for the sides, Im sure grass would grow better with some topsoil there... I had purchased 40' of culvert in 10' sections but didnt need one section. I didnt put anything down, its just straight fill I got from a neighbor for free, luckily, cost a bit to haul it tho, about 1 mile each way.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ended up using 30ft of culvert, 15", with flared ends that add another 2ft to each end, so total its about 34'. Just used fill, I had to dig the flared ends down into the dirt, theres a metal piece that goes down about 4 inches and it doesnt appear any black dirt was put down when road was finished, theres not even 1" of black before you get into subsoil, so Im not sure I need to haul in dirt for the sides, Im sure grass would grow better with some topsoil there... I had purchased 40' of culvert in 10' sections but didnt need one section. I didnt put anything down, its just straight fill I got from a neighbor for free, luckily, cost a bit to haul it tho, about 1 mile each way.
That crossing wont be wide enough to get your 1974 40 foot trailer house onto your lot?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88