New 1/2 ton pickups

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Starting to look at the best option for a newer 1/2 ton pickup for the soon to be wife. Right now we both have one ton pickups but don't really need two of them. Figured we would keep mine since its the diesel for towing and its paid for. Still want something we can put a goose neck in and can handle a horse trailer for the few times I'm out of town with the Duramax and she needs to take the horses somewhere. Only looking at GM and Ford (more so Chevy) :D crew cab 6.5 foot box. it will mostly be our road triper so mostly empty interstate driving so better mileage would be nice (I know its a pickup if we want good mileage buy a car) but that ain't happening. Mostly interested in the GM with the 6.2 and 8 speed if anyone has any real reviews on them. open to other reviews on any other GM and Ford 1/2 tons.

Thanks,

Shayne

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had my '15 F-150 for a little over a month. 3.5EB, Supercrew, 6.5' box, 3.55 gears, FX4, tow package. Love this thing. All the power I could ever want and its available at RPMs you're going to actually run at. Average 17.5 MPG commuting around, got 19.5mpg on our last trip from Fargo to Minneapolis and back at 65-70mph and 18.5 from Fargo to Bismarck at 75mph.

Nitpicky things: factory remote start only works to about 400 feet and heat inside the cab takes a little longer to warm up than I would like. Overall, very happy with the purchase.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a 15 F-150 crew with a 6.5' box and the 5.0 and I'm getting 19-21 on the highway and 14-15 mpg in town running regular with 10% ethanol. The truck itself has been all around awesome, with lots of power, really quiet too, I'm having trouble getting used to not being able to hear the traffic around me outside the pickup.

Not so sure I'd be confident in the ecoboost engines ford makes, theres an awful lot of them for sale with 40+ thousand miles on them advertising that they have a "new turbo", and the used ones are advertised much cheaper than the 5.0s so I think the word is out that they're unreliable so they're getting harder to move.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not so sure I'd be confident in the ecoboost engines ford makes, theres an awful lot of them for sale with 40+ thousand miles on them advertising that they have a "new turbo", and the used ones are advertised much cheaper than the 5.0s so I think the word is out that they're unreliable so they're getting harder to move.

I think it is more of a supply and demand thing but you could be right. Anyway, I'm going to drive mine for the next years and I bought from a dealership that does the lifetime engine/powertrain warranty so I'm all good.

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
my boss has a 15 Chevy high country 6.2 says it gets better millage than his wifes Acadia

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had my '15 F-150 for a little over a month. 3.5EB, Supercrew, 6.5' box, 3.55 gears, FX4, tow package. Love this thing. All the power I could ever want and its available at RPMs you're going to actually run at. Average 17.5 MPG commuting around, got 19.5mpg on our last trip from Fargo to Minneapolis and back at 65-70mph and 18.5 from Fargo to Bismarck at 75mph.

Nitpicky things: factory remote start only works to about 400 feet and heat inside the cab takes a little longer to warm up than I would like. Overall, very happy with the purchase.

you didn't sell the jimmy did ya?

Big Tiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 15 Chevy High Country w/ 6.2 L, after 12,000 miles my average mpg shows 16.6. Best was 22mpg on the interstate at 80mph. Only thing i don't care for is that 8 speed auto doesn't know what gear to be in when you slow down in town. And i get better mileage than me wifes Terrian that has a 4 banger!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Silverado with the 6.2lit @420hp will do the job easy enough for ya,here is a snap shot of the mpg's@75mph,for city driving if ya have issues with tranny shift just lock out the over drive gears,pretty simple.I know a guy that'll get you great pricing and 60easy pymts. :;:muahaha

2015 6.2lit 1500 crew.jpg

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Silverado with the 6.2lit @420hp will do the job easy enough for ya,here is a snap shot of the mpg's@75mph,for city driving if ya have issues with tranny shift just lock out the over drive gears,pretty simple.I know a guy that'll get you great pricing and 60easy pymts. :;:muahaha DO you give NDA discounts?? :;:howdy:;:stirthepot

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member

I should have kept the damned thing you know? WAY too scared to take the truck out on the ice but the Jimmy? Psh. Just take the plates and VINs off and then if it sinks, so what? Someone elses problem.

Guess I'll just have to get an ATV.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd buy an ecoboost. there are hundreds if not thousands running around the patch and they have been extremely reliable.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have sold a couple of the new 6.2 / 8speed combos and have had 0 complaints. One person drove theirs down to southern Illinois and back mostly interstate driving @80 mph and they averaged 20.8mpg for the trip. Power is very impressive.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me know what you want and I will spec one out for you.

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do the 6.2's only come in the High Country packages? IF not can u order it in any trim level? she don't really like leather seats.

- - - Updated - - -

Also what year did they come out with the 8 speed and is there a lot of difference in mileage between the 6 and 8?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do the 6.2's only come in the High Country packages? IF not can u order it in any trim level? she don't really like leather seats.

- - - Updated - - -

Also what year did they come out with the 8 speed and is there a lot of difference in mileage between the 6 and 8?

I don't think you can get the 6.2 without leather. I know I couldn't find one a year ago and they don't let you build one on the site. They changed in to the 8-speed in 2015. Not sure how much it helped mileage.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought i better add to this ------ the FORD is going into the shop. https://youtu.be/PyBNq7TENbw 19k miles
I thought since i bad mouthed my chevy every time it went in --- i have to be fair and bad mouth the Ford when it acts up. I will also note that since obama replaced the engine and the torque converter on chevy it has not had a damn thing wrong with it and it gets all the dirty work and off road plus a kid driving it. It looks over at the ford and says you big %%ssy all you do is drive in town and you cant stay out of the shop. :;:duel

TWN

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drive someones ecoboost before you buy anything. Being turbocharged they drive very muck like a diesel, no shifting down and hunting for gears constantly. Pet peeve of mine. Looks like the 6.2 gets good mileage running down the road but they never had the torque to pull really well. Lots of both out there I would drive them before I bought the ecoboost! Merry christmas guys, TW

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33