New broadheads this year?

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
What broadheads do you guys run with light poundage bows? Im going to get my wife into bow hunting and she will be shooting 30-40 lbs. I personally shoot grim reapers and love them but Im not sure how well mechanicals work in light poundage bows.

I had my wife shooting slick tricks 100 grain last year (per whisky's recommendation) at about 40lbs and she had a complete pass through on her buck, although it was gut shot. The young guy at scheels in fargo really knew his shit when we brought her bow in the other week and he recommended G5 striker 125grain so we are gonna try that for her this year.

The last 3 bucks ive killed were with hypodermics, I have had great results with them so ill stick with them for now

troutslayer

My favorite have been the Rocky Mountain Blitz which are no longer made, but the Muzzy Trocar's are a spitting image of them. Fly just like my field points and have a great cutting edge.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pile of broadheads that I have used over the past 50 years. Ever since they came out I have been using Thunderheads. Now with a torn rotator cuff and the doc telling me at my age I may as wells tick to cortisone shots and phys therapy I will be shooting a crossbow at least for this year. I bought some slick trick and some Ramcats. I will try my Thunderheads, but have been told they don't work well in the crossbow I purchased. I have a half dozen G5, but to me they come dull and must not have hard enough steel because I can't get them sharp with ceramic or even 3000 grit stones. My knives shave like a razor blade and so do my resharpened Thunderheads, but the G5 will not cut a single hair. I have only tried the stainless G5.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
VPA heads are about as tough as they come.
Machined from a solid piece of carbon steel, deadly little works of art with zero things to go wrong.

https://vparchery.com/product/vpa-3-blade-broadheads-100-grains-vented-1-18-width-3-pack-2/

c364c97374ede028ab736dda2f96d142.jpg
Those look awesome! Let me know what you think. I just ordered some broadheads from Bishop to try.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
VPA 3-Blade Broadheads 100 grain Vented 1 1/8″ Diameter 3-pack

$39.95
VPA 3-Blade Broadheads 100 grains.

CNC Machined from high carbon steel – heat treated to 50 Rockwell. Screw-In​

50 Rockwell is not good. This is about the first time I have considered Rockwell hardness for broadheads. I had always assumed they were comparable to knives. I don't carry a knife under 62 Rockwell and I carry a couple at 67 Rockwell. I do know that I can resharpen old Thunderhead blades that shave without pulling the hair on my arm. I was sure the G5 was lower Rockwell because I have never got one to shave. I wonder if any of the fixed blade have a 57 or 58 Rockwell? 50 Rockwell will bend before it breaks, but it's not going to hold an edge.
Gun barrels run about 42 Rockwell, but they need to be tough not sharp. Laminated blades run soft and hard steel. I'm going to try drill one of my old G5 heads. If I can drill through it I will never shoot them.

Easy drilling with my cordless, but I did slip and brake a bit. You should never be able to drill decent steel except for axe heads.20180705_171916.jpg20180705_172102.jpg

Last edited:

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot my montecs into fleshy animals, not concrete.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used montecs forever. The hole is not big enough and blood trails suck. I've killed many animals but I want holes and blood like rage

I'm switching. If u hit the shoulder u r screwed anyways. I would rather hit guts with a huge blade than a tiny 1" hole as well

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
6B718C79-D6A8-4BBC-A167-5ECAE14C04B7.jpghttps://rocketbroadheads.com/product/ar100us/

This is the broadhead my wife uses she is shooting 46 pound bow this is the black bear she killed last month with it no pass through the bear went 30 yards no blood trail and never found the arrow. When skinning it we found that her arrow hit a rib on the exiting side was the reason for no pass through.

Attachments

9D4D61CC-21E1-4B50-B5A7-AAF55FD07D57.jpg 3E2ABC3A-E570-4AA0-AC72-33664BAD83A7.jpg

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have anything good or bad to say about QAD Exodus? They look good, but wonder how well they fly.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pisses me off people buy broadheads cuzz they ( look cool)!
Nothing but a marketing ploy.
I've seen MANY hundreds of bow kills. From 3/4" cuts to 2.50" cuts.
No difference overall in how far the critter goes if shot placement is the same.
I will say this tho... There will never be a rage or any other expandable allowed in my bear camp!!
This is speaking from YEARS of experience.
An entry n exit Trump's an entry Everytime!

As long as they keep making muzzies, they'll be in my quiver.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have anything good or bad to say about QAD Exodus? They look good, but wonder how well they fly.

I used Exodus prior to switching to Iron Will broadheads. They are at solid tough head and really didn't have much to complain about with them. I just decided to switch to a cut on contact head but if I hadn't I'd still be shooting the Exodus.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always hated the idea of mechanicals and the horror stories. But the huge holes from rage have made me switch.

My brother 12 ringed a mule deer (complete pass through) last year and it was hands and knees to follow the blood trail. I've been majorly disappointed with my blood trails.

I have shot 4 bears as well. I hunt with an old guy like u bucksnbears. �� He and his hunting partner have shot over 50 bears. They switched to rage too.

My bow deer last year I literally had zero blood trail. He was piled up dead 100 yards away.

If i have a big muley go 6-800 yards in the badlands which they can easily, I want blood to follow. Cause that shit can get thick and you can walk right by a dead deer.

I dont think there is a correct answer. Pretty much whatever you have confidence in.

BUT here is the kicker. I elk hunt a lot. I'm not sure I want an expandable for that.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_9798.jpg
I had a complete pass through on this bull with a montec. There was no blood to follow

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
why would the lungs bleed out two high holes? when there's two huge buckets to fill (a good thing)

- - - Updated - - -

656044_2.jpg

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also that pic is a bit deceiving. Elk are large. The shot is on bottom 1/3 of cavity

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bownhunter24 dull heads cut flesh, but rubber like blood veins can slide right over a dulled edge. It's good you got your elk, but do you think the head cut sufficient veins to leave a good blood trail? I am more into steel than the shape of the head, or the price of the head. When replaceable blades came out I thought they would never last. Then I tried them. Now I think they are one of the best things to happen to archery because few people know how to make the old heads shave. My wife would always give me a little grief each August because two weeks before archery deer would open I would have no hair left from wrist to elbows or ankles to knees. I bet there are at least a couple old fellows on here who can relate.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's interesting and possible.

If i shoot a broadhead though I trash it. i spend thousands on tags, gas yada yada. I will spend $15 for a brand new broadhead every animal. Besides turkeys. They get old bloody and dirty heads ha

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes a head has to be in perfect condition before I use it again. Even new broadheads with replaceable blades I sharpen before I will shoot them. I bought a 2000 grit ceramic stone angled just for sharpening my Thunderheads while the blades are on the head. Every new blade gets touched up before it goes in the quiver. There is a reason modern scalpels have replaceable blades. Interesting that some very delicate surgeries still use scalpels with attached flakes of flint or obsidian. I'll have to ask Bobkat about that.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 203
  • This month: 170
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58