New flip house

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to replace an Eskimo quick flip 2 that the mice got into last summer. Tried the pop up but am not mobile enough. Looking at the otter lodge, but am open to any of them. Not impressed with the prices an any of them so I want to buy once and be happy.

CDK

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fished in the otter 1200 thermal and Jason Mitchell house both quite a bit. Ottter has the better tarp imo but like the pole system and the white tarp on the JM. I will be getting a jm but comes down to personal preference.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go otter and never look back.
Clam uses electrical tape on their extension pole clips....electrical tape...!!!!!

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an otter lodge and love it. I had 2 clams prior and they were not nearly made as well.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also bench or seats. Like the idea of a place to set stuff, but is it as com portable as the boat seats

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What makes otter that much better then clam. Prices seem to be about the same.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The quality of the canvas and the poles are better.

plus they have the best sled IMO. I had a clam yukon and voyager and got rid of them to get my xt1200 lodge. Heavy as hell but built like a tank. Mine gets pulled alot behind the snowmobile. If not getting pulled as much or ever, I may have went with the clam x2. whatever you get, make sure it is thermal. I am now running 3 houses (xt1200 lodge, clam kenia pro thermal, clam bigfoot 4000) and they are all thermal. easier to heat, dont flap in the wind as bad and they dont drip on you.

- - - Updated - - -

Also bench or seats. Like the idea of a place to set stuff, but is it as com portable as the boat seats

I like bucket seats. If i am by myself I can take the other out for more room/less weight and I think they are more comfortable. Otter makes the sportsman caddy center console. I am planning on picking one of those up if I can find one.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree on the sled, clam has come a long ways on their sleds, but still not as good as the Otter.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was going back and forth between the otter xt1200 lodge and the clam x2. I didnt like how the skirt that comes across the side of the sled (between your legs and the sled) seemed excessively long on the x2. Also towards the front of that sled where it curves up leaves a gap between the skirt and the lip of the sled where wind can blow in. Overall, I felt the otter was better built. Cabelas ended up having a sale on the xt1200 lodge was down to $760 (normally 950). Scheels price matched it for me and I bought it there because I like them better than cabelas...

- - - Updated - - -

Otter switched the color of their sled to a lighter gray which helps in low light conditions for finding stuff in it. Clam's sled is almost white which would make that even easier. That is the only thing I like about the clam x2 sled. The clam sleds that are on the jason mitchell type houses kinda suck if you do alot of pulling IMO. The just are not designed to take that abuse as well. whatever you get, put hyfax on the sled if you are going to pull it.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stopped into Scheels and ended up leaving with the otter pro lodge for a little less then mentioned above. Scheels in Minot has the clearances for less then anyplace I have seen. Are the hyfax worth the money? I think I'll build my own hitch so,I can get it a little further away from the tow vehicle. Thanks for input. The otter just seemed way better built.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the hyfax is worth it. 60 buck to protect your sled. install the hyfax BEFORE you put the house together if you can. Makes it way easier. you will love that house!

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy the hyfax and put them on first. It will be a lot less work then adding them later.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are the hyfax worth the money?

Hyfax shouldn't even be an option, they oughta be on there from the get-go. 1/4mi pull down pavement/blacktop with a heavy loaded house sans Hyfax can easily = some mighty thin spots.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get Hyfax right away. Not only for sled wear, but it makes it easier to pull by hand for early ice, and it tracks much straighter behind a tow vehicle. I can confirm, it is a total PITA to put them on after the house is together.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone riveted their hyfax kit on? I have 2 houses, one with and the other without. I don't like the screws sticking up from the floor.

You could cut strips of marine plywood the proper thickness and inlet the strips for the screws to hold them in place, plus, if you did it right your floor would be totally flat.

Let your OCD chew on THAT 'til spring!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would you recommend marine plywood from brunswick/crestliner?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34